Wharfedale W2 Speakers (5" drivers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I will rewind the coil myself but it looks like I will have to use copper wire.

Michael, why not try writing a very nice letter to Lowther UK, tell them what you are trying to achieve and ask if they would be willing to provide an adventurer as yourself with some new Al voice coil wire as they do use it in their own drivers (obviously at your own cost and risk). I believe Trevor is a really nice guy so it’s worth a try.

By the sound of it, your drivers share a bit of DNA with Lowther.

Also, Google search about making reliable connections between the Al and the Cu as you can’t expect Lowther to give you their secret sauce.

Last edited:
The 60,000 maxwell flux of the Super 5 is equivalent to 0.0006 weber.

The Visaton AL-130M flux is 0.00045 weber.

The Visaton is an interesting unit, but is a midrange driver whereas the Super 5 was designated as a tweeter. It also has a stiff aluminium cone and not the soft paper cone of the Super 5.

It was the Super 3 which fired vertically in the SFB/3 and also in the Airedale.

The Super 5, in its own internal enclosure, was used as the tweeter in the W2.

I have to correct what I said earlier about the W4 - it did not use two Super 5s, but used a Super 3 tweeter and two 5" W3 midrange drivers.

Have you still got your 'A Pair of Wharfedales' book, or did someone take you up on your generous offer of passing it on to them?

I have a copy, thanks - along with copies of Gilbert Briggs' own books, 'Loudspeakers' and 'More About Loudspeakers' - all three of them being valuable sources of information!

Attachments

• A Pair of Wharfedales.jpg
    A Pair of Wharfedales.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 38
I have made a major design decision thanks to this thread. :)

Always been fond of cone tweeters, here the tremendously cheap Monacor HT-22/8:

685153d1528226024-linton-2-upgrade-monitor-audio-monacor-ht-22-cone-tweeter-jpg

Bit rubbish above 10 kHz, but never offends the ear.

planet10 (dave) quite rates this one on tweeter duties, the CHN-50: CHN-50 full range driver | KJF Audio

I have just bought the last pair. Eat your heart out. A 2 litre box shouldn't be hard. I don't waste time on ancient speakers. They fall apart. :cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My experience is a bit different. Drivers age differently.

I got a “pair” of the 8” version and was excited about treating them with a UK flapper-caot, bu twhen measured they were so far apart i set them aside into the free pile. The metal dustcap also had to go. It was painful.

Any chance they have the same VC as these 5s?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Surrounds often go. I don’t think mine have any. But i think i still have the right material to make one.

The price for the pair with the surrounds is likely a bargain, i got $100 USD for a Pair like th echeap ones (i did provide a sheet of th esurround material with).

And i sold some vintag edrivers to Japanese buyers who were going to rewind the fried VCs, so it can be done by a skilled craftsman.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.