Wharfedale W2 Speakers (5" drivers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently looking to repair a pair of 5" drivers from a set of Wharfedale W2 Speakers. The voice coils are both open circuit.

The literature says that they are Super 5 drivrs but the ones I have do not look like the ones listed in the Wharfedale leaflet. I have atteched a picture and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these unit.

Any information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Super_5.jpg
    Super_5.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 158
Check the reading on the wires leading to the cone from behind the driver terminals and not just on the terminal themselves. The joints at the terminals may have failed because aluminium requires special attachment techniques.

VaNarn has previously written: "There are special solder alloys and fluxes such as Alu-Sol from Multicore that can be used, although some experience is needed to find the best technique to make reliable connections."

Sounds like you have nothing to lose by carefully removing the cone and voice coil assembly as shown in the image to allow a proper examination.

Here, the aluminium voice coil wire attaches to the flexible braided copper wire at the cone. At that junction may lie the problem.

D-00324.JPG

Note that this shows the voice coil from a Super 3 on a replacement cone.

Attachments

• Super 3 Voice Coil.jpg
    Super 3 Voice Coil.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 119
Sounds like you have nothing to lose by carefully removing the cone and voice coil assembly as shown in the image to allow a proper examination.

Here, the aluminium voice coil wire attaches to the flexible braided copper wire at the cone. At that junction may lie the problem.

Note that this shows the voice coil from a Super 3 on a replacement cone.

I removed the voice coil and checked properly and there is no continuity in the wire at all, so it looks like they will need to be replaced.

how much do you want to spend - anything is repairable ?

e.g. can you find somebody to rewind the coil - count the tirns when you take off the old windings & measure the wire diameter etc.

Or, find a speaker with same size voice-coil and use it as a donor, keeping the original cone. It won’t be a perfect repair as in like for like but might be easiest option

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Bigun "Or, find a speaker with same size voice-coil and use it as a donor, keeping the original cone. It won’t be a perfect repair as in like for like but might be easiest option"

The only other Wharfedale speakers using the exact same voice coil were the 8'' Bronze/FS/AL, the Super 8/FS/AL and the 8/145. If you can obtain any of these with an intact voice coil at an acceptable price, then there is a chance of being able to repair the Super 5 with the salvaged parts. It is rare for coil rewinders to have enamelled aluminium wire in stock (especially the SWG sizes) as unlike copper wire it is unavailable in small quantities.

Last edited:
how much do you want to spend - anything is repairable ?

e.g. can you find somebody to rewind the coil - count the tirns when you take off the old windings & measure the wire diameter etc.

Or, find a speaker with same size voice-coil and use it as a donor, keeping the original cone. It won’t be a perfect repair as in like for like but might be easiest option

I've taken the cone and coil out of the cage and these are the details of the coil -

Winding width = 7.5mm
No. of turns = 88 (2 layers of 44)
Wire Diameter = 0.2mm
Coil former material is paper/card
Former length 17mm

I worked out that the length of the wire is just over 7m, which according to my calculations would only give a coil DC resistance of about 3 ohm which isn't as high as I thought it would be.

I think I will rewind the coil myself but it looks like I will have to use copper wire.

What makes these drivers so special?
Not ever having owned a pair I'd like to know
The Super 3 model is regarded as one of the best cone tweeters ever made, and the Super 5 is not far behind. The Super 5 could be comfortably crossed over at 1,000Hz using just a 1st order crossover (as in the W2), while a pair could be crossed over as low as 400Hz (as in the W4).

Both the Super 3 and the Super 5 have an very high flux magnet system (flux density 14,500 oersteds; total flux 60,000 maxwells). I presume this gives clinical control of the movement of their aluminium voice coils. A Super 5 weighs in at 3.25lb (1.5kg).

The flux density is identical to that of the following larger drivers in the Wharfedale range (circa 1963): Super 8/FS, Super 8/RS/DD and Golden 10/RS/DD (FS = Foam Surround, RS = Roll Surround and DD = Double Diaphragm).

However, I suppose there's a lot of nostalgia involved - nostalgia for the days when Wharfedale drivers were over-engineered and before cost-cutting became more the norm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.