jantzen standard z cap vs claritycap ESA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
What about Clarity CSA?

ClarityCap CSA Capacitor 250VDC: Madisound Speaker Components

To me; they have more clarity, yes, a good choice of words here than the Standard Z. I prefer the Superior Z but maybe out of the price range for your budget here? The Standard Z is a good cap, the CSA just lets more detail through, less "masked" or "veiled".

For a very basic cap. the Audyn Q4 is a good choice.

Brand

just my opinion and personal experiences; some have other views, that's what makes this hobby so interesting!

I have all of them lying around here. Its simply a personal taste.
In my opinion the Q4s are the worst of the three. I dont like them very much, in my builds, they pronounced the 7Khz range very much and i dont like a sharp "s".
The other two are very similar. Both have a kind of "grain" from high mids to the heights.
If i had to buy one, i would go with the Standard Z, but if you like smoother high frequencies and overall a more "oldschool" sound without loosing details, spend more and buy the Superior Z.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I did and have some but CSA are easier to buy in USA now. ESA is also a good sounding cap. I do have some metal dome tweeters that the CSA makes sound on the bright side; are you doing a 2-way? Did you make a tweeter choice already?

I will be honest and say I have never listened to the ESA vs the CSA in a direct A/B comparison but the CSA is supposed be an improvement over the ESA?

Again, the Audyn Q4 is a good choice for "budget"; you could try those first maybe then upgrade later if need be.

I have all of them lying around here. Its simply a personal taste.
In my opinion the Q4s are the worst of the three. I dont like them very much, in my builds, they pronounced the 7Khz range very much and i dont like a sharp "s".
The other two are very similar. Both have a kind of "grain" from high mids to the heights.
If i had to buy one, i would go with the Standard Z, but if you like smoother high frequencies and overall a more "oldschool" sound without loosing details, spend more and buy the Superior Z.
i don't understand why you would chose the standard and not the esa

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
If you have a hard dome tweeter, the Standard Z might be a better choice; with a soft dome tweeter, the CSA or ESA might be a better choice. Just based on some of those I have on hand and tried.

Even when I use the much better Superior Z; I often use small value bypass capacitors. You could maybe try a budget cap. first then add budget bypass as a first cheap way???

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Warmer than the CSA for sure; I haven't used ESA in a very long time. The CSA is only bright on some Ti dome tweeters I have but those tweeters are bright regardless. But, I think the Standard Z is less detailed than the CSA. Again, I haven't used any ESA in a long time. I might try an experiment if I can find in my stock Audyn Q4, Standard Z, ESA. CSA, Superior Z, etc. all of the same value if I have them all in my stock parts boxes. Do you have a tweeter choice yet? Hard dome? Soft dome? Ribbon, AMT, other???

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
OK, so soft. My personal order of choice would be:

1) Superior Z
2) CSA
3) ESA
4) Standard Z
5) Audyn Q4

Are you in a really big hurry??? I can look later to see what capacitors I have on hand and do a quick listening comparison once again since I haven't used the ESA in a very long time. That tweeter is good enough to justify the more expensive Superior Z; it will be more "musical", have better resolution, detail, etc. than all of the other choices based on my experiences recent and in the past.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
MY OPINIONS ONLY! Other people may say quite the opposite!

Will you do 1st order? 2nd order? Do you have a target X/O frequency in mind? What will be your woofer or mid-woofer??? BW1, LR2?, BE2?, BW2?...often times I do custom 2nd order with a Q between the standard 0.49 to 0.707, or 0.707 to 0.58, etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have a EVO oil and aluminum; I found it softer than some others; it is accurate but it didn't match as well with my Vifa silk dome as the other choices I tried. (Again, this sometimes all just comes down to personal tastes and preferences.).

The CDE 940C as bypass do add a touch of magic; people will discuss and argue these things until the end of time I realize but I tried them on expensive Mundorf Silver/Oil and they helped even here!

Status
Not open for further replies.