Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Accelerometers to measure panel vibrations?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2021, 01:24 PM   #581
esl 63 is offline esl 63  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Strange, why would it be so microphonic? 5M input impedance can do odd things, but what in the Behringer could be turning vibration into sound?
All ceramic caps are highly microphonic, do not know if there are any in the Behringer, but many CD and DVD players that i have modified uses cheramic caps, also in the digital domain such as the clock circuit. Vibrations is causing huge amount of jitter.
Thats why there is sonic benefits from vibration damping on some electronics.
I recorded a -96dB (silence) and a 440Hz tone at -87dB on a CD and play it while knocking on the PCB.

Quite noticable.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:44 PM   #582
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Loctite Fun-Tak(Blu-tak) wins under 180hz and is a close second above that, so overall, it's easily the best value.
Old 6th February 2021, 03:32 PM   #583
diyAudio Member

I purchased one of these to compare to my non mass loaded type. They're both identical, save for the mass loading on this one.
Piezo Vibration Sensor - Large with Mass - SEN-09197 - SparkFun Electronics
I also purchased a few 10 mega ohm resistors to experiment with in the next sensor/cable I build. I have little understanding of electrical engineering, so if I'm doing something that doesn't make sense to those of you that do, please chime in. The sensor requires at least 10m ohms input impedance to work it's best, and the Behringer only gives about 5m ohms.

Last edited by Remlab; 6th February 2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 6th February 2021, 05:27 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

So mass loading the sensor with the .72g weight(Supplied) , takes its resonant frequency from 180hz down to 40hz, which is definitely a good thing for taking panel measurements.
Old 6th February 2021, 09:14 PM   #585
diyAudio Member

I believe I need to switch this resistor out with the 10m ohm resistor, and then I’m set. Very easy to get to. Is it my imagination, or does this one look a little overheated?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7CBA944B-EBCC-492E-AA6B-042CAAF397BE.jpg (759.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 7th February 2021, 03:42 PM   #586
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not sure what the mass loading will do for you, but it will be interesting to see what you get. One would think that the mass has to wiggle while somehow a part of the piezo strip is supported.
Old 7th February 2021, 04:08 PM   #587
diyAudio Member

Yes, I agree. It's construction is a little counterintuitive compared to the flat strip, but It's pretty inexpensive though, so I may as well give it a shot.

Accelerometers to measure panel vibrations?Hide this!Advertise here!