What's the best 5 inch driver for a small sealed box same as the LS3/5A. SPH-135TC ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
SoundImports.com in NL seems to supply Monacors to US for semi reasonable rates. They also provide EU with Dayton drivers. They go both ways. :)

I priced out a pair of SPH-200HQ and it was $217 including 3 day UPS shipping. The Euro is not so high I guess. That’s a reasonable price I think for a 90dB cast aluminum frame wide bandwidth 8in woofer with smooth response.

Still very pleased with my Monacors but came across another decent looking and spec wise driver. Doesn't seem to be as available in the UK but if your that side certainly a nice one to consider.

Aurum Cantus AC130F-1

Aurum Cantus AC-130F1 5-1/4" Woofer

Attachments

• 296-400_HR_0.jpg
    296-400_HR_0.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 150
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Look under the brand Harwood. That is the same as Aurum Cantus. I don't know why but Aurum Cantus uses the brand name Harwood in Europe at least. That driver does have very good reviews and is used in some famous designer systems or kits (the name escapes me at the moment).

Harwood Acoustics TM 130/25 F1 kaufen bei hifisound.de

(for example)

I finally tried the Monacor SPH 135 KEP. Decent enough for the money but I much, much prefer the Mark Audio full range drivers over anything else in this size.

Look under the brand Harwood. That is the same as Aurum Cantus. I don't know why but Aurum Cantus uses the brand name Harwood in Europe at least. That driver does have very good reviews and is used in some famous designer systems or kits (the name escapes me at the moment).

Harwood Acoustics TM 130/25 F1 kaufen bei hifisound.de

(for example)

I finally tried the Monacor SPH 135 KEP. Decent enough for the money but I much, much prefer the Mark Audio full range drivers over anything else in this size.

https://meniscus.lightningbasehosted.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Continuum-Writeup.pdf

Continuum II Loudspeaker Kit - Meniscus Audio

Continuum I and II kits by Jeff Bagby...see; that's what happens when I get coffee in me and my brain starts to wake up some ha ha ha

Ah ok interesting, thanks for that information. And interesting you were not a fan of the 135. I haven't tried that one myself just the 135TC and 130SPH. The 135TC actually seem to be one of the main go to drivers for designers of LS3 copies but for me after hearing the 130 I moved them on. They were ok but I just think I'm more a fan of a paper type driver, for me it had a more natural and livelier sound. The thing is the TC sounded fine until I compared :)

The continuum kit looks nice would love to hear those, that is a nice Morel tweeter as well.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The 135 is good at what it does but I like the Pluvia 7PHD much better because the resolution and micro detail is far better. It wouldn't do for a LS3 type replacement but one of the larger MA drivers probably would. I am very much looking forward to the new SB Satori TexTreme; specifically the MR13TX which hasn't even been invented yet but I may try the MW13TX as soon as they are available. Of course, now we are talking about a much higher price range here. I agree; I like paper better than many other cone materials as a general rule; less ringing and less breakup type modes when done properly.

Any keen hobbyist can build a 5" polycone plus 3/4" or 1" tweeter and it will sound good enough, one of the easier speakers in the repertoire:

Peerless HDS PPB 830860

But is it a BBC LS3/5A clone? Absolutely not.

This is a better effort:

Monacor LS 5/19

3/4" mylar tweeter. Quite decent tweeters IMO.
5" paper cone, but very well behaved.
Positive polarity third order filter.
Very BBC crossover.
Maybe a weakness on diffraction control and grille cloth which is part of the design.

There were two ideas with KEF's constructor kits. If you recess the bass and use negative polarity, you get the CS1A. The CS1 was positive polarity and not recessed.
https://us.kef.com/pub/media/pdf/CS1A.pdf

Now KEF had an absolute Bee in their Bonnet about exact 18dB/octave BW3 slopes. This is actually called Acoustic Butterworth. Flatter power response than LR4.

I am not giving you are hard time here, but for the BBC sound, it's BW3. Anything else is NOT LS3/5A.
The CS1 and CS1A used two different B110's: CS1 used the SP1057 and CS1A used the SP1003