Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

First time DIY - Reality check
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2020, 12:27 AM   #61
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

The more I think about that measurement, the more I think something isn't quite right. Maybe it's the measurement method or maybe it's something else, but a ported 6.5" driver should be going a little lower that what is shown. And now reading the actual review suggests the same.

Best I can come up with if it isn't a lack of bass is maybe you need more output from about 150/175Hz to about 550Hz. Attached are a couple of charts that may or may not help you identify specific frequencies and certain instruments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insrument frequency chart2.jpg (104.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg main_chart.jpg (526.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 5th July 2020, 02:00 AM   #62
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

I'd agree with the range suggestion. This is important for 'feel', is often described as mid/bass and is difficult to handle well in a box speaker in light of reduced baffle support.
Old 5th July 2020, 08:00 AM   #63
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So I thought it might be useful to look at some measurements for your current speakers. Attached below is what I found from a Soundstage review.
Iím not sure I can trust the graph as it is. There are two strange things that caught my attention.
1) The downside slope from 100 to 500 Hz is a clear sign that in this region the measure is near field and not corrected for baffle step. If corrected for BS it is actually flat.
2) As a further proof of this is that the impedance graph shows that the tuning is at around 55Hz, and the FR shows a dip at that same frequency. I read this as that the port output is not taken into consideration, so the F3 and F6 points arenít where they appear here.

So I canít conclude anything from the bass lack POV, but I suspect a bass slightly lower in SPL than the mid or high-mid and a lack of low bass.
What I see is a rise from 5Khz, the tizz effect.

Ralf
Old 5th July 2020, 10:29 AM   #64
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
So I thought it might be useful to look at some measurements for your current speakers. Attached below is what I found from a Soundstage review.

As chris661 said previously, boom-tizz indeed, except sort of without the boom. F3 doesn't look to be much higher than about 75Hz depending on what other frequency you are comparing it to. And the rise in response from about 300Hz to 100Hz makes me think that the lack of bass presence that you think you lack is actually just a lack of bass. Or maybe midrange too. But it doesn't look like you are currently missing out on anything centered around 200Hz. Maybe 400-500 is the culprit?

You mention that you have sub(s). Have you tried these speakers with subs filling in the bottom end?

The measurements also make me think that if you listen to something with an actually flat response, it's going to sound dull and somewhat uninteresting to start. Might take a while for your ears to adjust in other words.
I'm glad someone picked up on my post.

Looking at that particular FR curve, I'd say block the port and re-do the crossover.

To reiterate, this would be way cheaper than any of the suggested designs so far, and would give the original poster a good feel for soldering, crossover design and measurements, before launching into an expensive woodworking project.

Chris

First time DIY - Reality checkHide this!Advertise here!