Compression driver with horn, help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You might consider a lower crossover frequency to the tweeter -- the top octave won't give it much to do, and the small percentage of compression drivers that can produce 10k beautifully tend to be less rugged (read 'easier to shred'). I have a shoebox full of variously smoked LE85 diaphragms to testify to the point.

As far as your 2 inch question goes, it would typically take more than one or two 12's to keep up with (balance properly) a 2" driver.

Cheers

Parallel wiring : + 3dB
Serial wiring : same sensitivity than 1 driver ?
Sensitivity:
Parallel + 6 dB
Series + 0 dB

Efficiency, at low frequencies: (wavelength >> driver spacing)
Parallel + 3 dB
Series + 3 dB

Efficiency, at high frequencies (wavelength << driver spacing)
Parallel + 0 dB
Series + 0 dB

And there is some frequency region in between where things are not that simple.

Parallel wiring : + 3dB
Serial wiring : same sensitivity than 1 driver ?

If you have a voltage source amp (most solid state amp) and the acoustical responses from multiple sources sums properly then you got a maximum of +6dB sensitivity if you use 2 drivers in parallel instead of 1. +3dB due to 2x membrane area (plus motor of course) and +3dB due to halved impedance.

Serial wiring adds +3dB due to doubled membrane area but then -3dB due to doubled value of the impedance so the sensitivity is as with 1 driver but the impedance is now 2x.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
for the 800 - 10,000 Hz range I would use a 2" throat driver. There are a few 1" throat drivers that can go that low but they are rare and there is no performance advantage to a 2" throat at 10 kHz. Choice depends on budget, desired dispersion and geographical location. With unlimited budget the AXI2050 would be a good choice, failing that I would look for a driver with a 4" voice coil (to maximise displacement) something like: file:///C:/Users/TV/Downloads/SPECSHEET-ENG-ND950%202.0.pdf

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
If you plan tube amp, then 16 ohms is something to consider but not mandatory
Putting two drivers in parralel doesn't reach to a lower resonant frequency, just more spl level if in // for equal cone movement...which is not a bad idea to cope with a compression driver fastness and marry the reactivity of
the compression with classic driver technology. 2 cones in // is 2 x less cone exursion so.
All is about your possibilities, amp, monney, design choices.
The most difficult is not about to find a cd for your need but more the good horn according the budget you have, mostly if you mix brands... what about the jbl horn clone made in thailand people seems to like if limited budget ? Faital hk104 if I'm correct about the ref is praised both 8 and 16 ohms models and ok till 800 hz, but don't remenber if 1.4 or 2" throat.

Last edited:
I choose this BEYMA 12'', 2 drivers in serie per loudspeaker.

beyma_11.jpg

That Beyma woofer looks like it can go to 1kHz easily. If you are using a 90° wide waveguide/horn you would probably want to cross over to a 12" driver around 1.2kHz anyways to achieve matching directivity at crossover.

There are many 1" CDs that can handle 1kHz crossover and work just fine without help above 10kHz (Radian, B&C, Peerless, to name a few). It's your stated requirement to go to 800Hz that's the problem - it's tough on the CD and it will result in poor pattern match with your horn.

BTW - If you insist on 800Hz crossover have a look at the new Eminence Textreme diaphram 1.4" CD.

True.

1", 1.4", or 1.5" should be fine.

You need a big horn for loading to 800hz.
My 2' wide horn (2384 jbl) with 1.4" compression driver crossed 24db at 800hz, but when cranking it (crossed to double 15's), it was way more comfortable crossed at 1,000hz.

I agree on a 12" crossing at 1.2khz, gets the crossover further up, smaller horn than 800hz mouth, acoustic centers closer, and easier on your compression driver (smaller that usually goes higher, so less eq).

Those 12" have a very low qts.
Maybe tune to 50hz and boost it there.

Fun setup in the making you have there.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.