Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3 1/2 Way with Sub...My Upgrades
3 1/2 Way with Sub...My Upgrades
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2020, 12:57 PM   #21
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

I have a long list and try to have a concistency to shape my listening judgments, so I till listen the same recordings from 20 years where I begann to diy cd players (I remember having tweaked more than 30 or 40 units when it costed nothing second hands, had a lot ainly with philips and Analog device chips but noy only... and DACs till 10 years).
I try to include soe references more when I judge them interessant for that purpose, that includes very good and very poor recording or mixing for diferent reasons : cliping, distorsion, confort zone and so on... I tweak to death my dac sources to sounding good in my listening space, EQ old school if you prefer (but I should go active/DSP amp in the next months when learning step will be crossed...)

Let me some time and I will PM you a non exhaustive list and also some more personal asked about female voices...I will be happy to have your feedback tastes as well

Old 3rd June 2020, 02:00 PM   #22
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

I will now try to add some photos. Still unfinished with the entire project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0661.jpg (718.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0664.jpg (692.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0670.jpg (690.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0674.jpg (710.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:02 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
I will now try to add some photos. Still unfinished with the entire project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0682.jpg (812.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0697.jpg (828.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0713.jpg (753.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0716.jpg (680.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0719.jpg (682.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0722.jpg (637.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0735.jpg (669.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0736.jpg (676.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:07 PM   #25
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

... big foam pyramid cone are cool... never saw so big in a peaker before.

Old 3rd June 2020, 02:22 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
... big foam pyramid cone are cool... never saw so big in a peaker before.

I'll see if I can post the info; I bought 4 inch and 2 inch pyramid foam both from Amazon. I didn't want stuffing/fill loose in the woofer chamber because everyone said you need to keep an open path between the woofer and the flow resistor Aperiodic vent. I added the 2 inch pyramids on the removable panel on top of the felt damping. I only used the 4 inch pyramids in the woofer chamber making sure again to keep a clear path. Anything to avoid reflecting sound waves and vibrations back to the woofer should help. In my past life; I had a wife and a nice house with a big workshop. I made many 5 sided boxes back then; ZERO parallel surfaces was the goal to avoid standing waves. I no longer have that luxury so I use pre-made or knock down boxes and modify them to my "exact" needs. Of course, these are all rectangle boxes so we have parallel sides (the reason for felt+stuffing+foam pyramids, etc.)...
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
I'll see if I can post the info; I bought 4 inch and 2 inch pyramid foam both from Amazon. I didn't want stuffing/fill loose in the woofer chamber because everyone said you need to keep an open path between the woofer and the flow resistor Aperiodic vent. I added the 2 inch pyramids on the removable panel on top of the felt damping. I only used the 4 inch pyramids in the woofer chamber making sure again to keep a clear path. Anything to avoid reflecting sound waves and vibrations back to the woofer should help. In my past life; I had a wife and a nice house with a big workshop. I made many 5 sided boxes back then; ZERO parallel surfaces was the goal to avoid standing waves. I no longer have that luxury so I use pre-made or knock down boxes and modify them to my "exact" needs. Of course, these are all rectangle boxes so we have parallel sides (the reason for felt+stuffing+foam pyramids, etc.)...

4 Inch Acoustic Foam Pyramid Style Panels - 13 Colors

– SoundAssured

2 Inch Acoustic Foam Pyramid Style Panels - 13 Colors

– SoundAssured
Old 11th June 2020, 11:26 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Brian Bromberg - Wood

One of my favorite bass players; this on the CD player is a Japanese re-master of the album "Wood". I keep tweaking and fooling around; next on the list is a decent calibrated microphone, stand and USB interface with phantom power and pre-amp, etc.

I seriously think this current combination of drivers is hard to beat in this price range. Again; The SB Satori MR16P (4 Ohm) in just over 0.5 ft^3 closed (about 15 liter) for a Q of around 0.5. The MA Pluvia 7PHD (P7PHD) in my "bread container" and the Fostex T90A up top. The SB29's are now fully broken in. They are really good at regular bass; scary good sometimes! The Satori 9 1/2 inch or ETON 11 inch probably have a better transient response and better upper bass but the SB29 just hammers away at the main bass frequencies probably better than anything else for the money. Hey; 37 Hz f3 in a smallish closed box, 3 inch VC, huge magnet and 22 mm of LINEAR X is very hard to beat in this price range...again; subs still out of the room...

More later; musicians coming this evening for more critical listening; fine tuning ALMOST over!??...(well, most likely anyway...)...
Old 13th June 2020, 10:11 AM   #29
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice work! I've reused a few old enclosures before and in am in the process of bracing and stuffing one right now.
Old 13th June 2020, 10:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
Nice work! I've reused a few old enclosures before and in am in the process of bracing and stuffing one right now.
Thanks! We have a disease of sorts don't we with this crazy hobby?; always looking for the next improvement in the pursuit of perfection in every price range!

3 1/2 Way with Sub...My UpgradesHide this!Advertise here!