Mid-side stereo techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mid-Side-capsule-2.jpg

Have you placed the speakers on top of eachother (coincident)?

It's a perfect example of three speaker stereo that uses M, S/sqrt(2) and -S/sqrt(2) as its inputs - although one suspects the S channel is implemented with +3dB gain here instead.

The intention appears to be use the side walls as reflectors for the S-channels, in which case it is very "wide angle" stereo offering the worst combing effects possible (although only in the S-channel) and maximising the S-channel delay. The resulting 'ambience' I suspect is incoherence augmented by a lack of localisation of non-central sources.

Yet it is close to a system of much higher fidelity if the direct-to-listener paths had been optimised. Instead I suspect they were ignored in the hope of sitting in a "null" produced by loudspeakers with rapidly decreasing directivity.

Much better IMHO would be to produce a similar loudspeaker array that sought to maximise the reproduction of the recorded ambience with the most precise localisation feasible instead of relying on effects that smear the recorded information. The way to do that is described in the thread above.

Implementing HF S-channel compensation even avoids the need for the two or three band shelving filters in the MS matrix decoders invented by Michael Gerzon for wide angle/multiple listener set-ups.

If I get chance I will add more details. For now I would recommend reading up on the "stereo dipole" investigated by the ISVR and Gerzon's hierarchical matrix stereo decoders.

Both are published in AES Journal papers but I think both are also described in plenty of freely available web publications too. Edeko et al's equally seminal AES paper on conventional stereo is also recommended if you can get hold of a copy.

I'm glad someone at last mentioned Michael Gerzon.

Is this a British thing the fixation with MS, stuff the BBC absolutely love, but yields like Gerzon and his ambisonic, chronically inadequate results?
(This was particularly obvious with the infatuation with the calrec based SF mic)

It should not go in passing, one of Gerzon's favourite techniques, 2 nose to nose figure of 8s...
It gives the frequency response of omnis with the precise location of cardios when done right.

Maybe those going overboard trying to reinvent the wheel, should take some care to listen to BBC Radio 3, then listen to France Musique.
The output of both is highly variable, varying between extreme mediocre to absolutely outstanding.

Once you have a valid source, you can play with reproduction to your heart's content! :)

Not even I have ventured as far on here as to describe a recording as "valid"! :)

But I am glad someone else here recognizes the extraordinary contribution of Michael Gerzon. Even now there are aspects of his work, such as bispectral perceptual models for example, that still lack the recognition they deserve and would enlighten so many discussions on this forum.

As to inadequate results from MS, ambisonics or any A-format derivative... A recording engineer applies a degree of artistry in the microphone arrangements they choose - often for good reason, but often for no reason that I can fathom. For the most "valid" results, coincident techniques will always be superior - MS just happens to be one mathematically correct way of doing such (when engineered properly at least). But not all "MS" arrangements are the same and just simple room positioning often dictates whether the result is outstanding or otherwise.

As to a British obsession, possibly the "validity" of British loudspeaker "standards" from the BBC, Quad and ATC biassed us towards accurate reproduction of "valid" material simply because audible cues such as the temporal patterns that define depth and recording techniques such as MS that preserve them could be readily heard?

But MS microphone techniques are still an off-thread topic :)

..I am glad someone else here recognizes the extraordinary contribution of Michael Gerzon. .
I lived close to Oxford for years, but never met Gerzon, I would have been too young.
A highly controversial genius who made friends and enemies, maybe he was his own enemy?
He certainly thought the BBC behaved similarly badly to today.**
A recording engineer applies a degree of artistry in the microphone arrangements they choose - often for good reason, but often for no reason that I can fathom.
Being one of them, I can sympathise on this take on (UBER) working, often in a very hostile environment.
Living, snaking around between the cables, stress caused by PR pushing artists, festival megalomaniacs and power crazed conductors, and long hours...getting up at the crack of dawn, travelling large distances...etc
Maybe more below?*
As to a British obsession, possibly the "validity" of British loudspeaker "standards" from the BBC, Quad and ATC biassed us towards accurate reproduction of "valid" material simply because audible cues such as the temporal patterns that define depth and recording techniques such as MS that preserve them could be readily heard?
Maybe?
Bearing in mind that Peter Walker's quad ESL was copied from Jantzen's creation in the USA... mostly "badly".
The end result is a speaker largely incapable of reproducing bass, (where most of the energy happens to reside), and with a rather strange stereo imaging.

If you realise most of the studios were using ESLs, while the BBC finally decided to make their own stuff, still being replicated by people like Harbeth....
Is that "the British sound"?
Who knows?

Oh well, one can go on for hours about what might have been, especially if there wasn't a compulsory levy from the BS Broadcasting co**....

*As for the objective choice of techniques, Prof Schneider, describes it roughly this way:-
All down to decisions:-
Few come up with it as clearly as this.

"Choose if you want to record the acoustic, with the musicians in it",
or
"record the musicians with the acoustic of the hall round them",
then
choose whether in the end you have to use convolution techniques or not, and y/n if you want to get the stability inherent on speakers by using transaural rejection, and finally with multiple arrays...get the time spacing coherent re: distance in m/s.

My extra take on all that with surround sound, is:- "ARE YOU THERE" or "ARE THEY HERE".
If you got to the bottom of all that pile, you might possibly end up with a decent recording.

Last edited:
Well if you are accustomed to the "QUAD ESL Experience", you would know they radiate from both sides, so you get rear reflections in the room.

Then you have the somewhat "mental" impedance behaviour which ranges from "NOT A LOT" to a virtual short circuit at HF....

QUADFIG1.jpg

Then there is the question of the orientation of the panels themselves where the (original) high range and low ranges were spaced like this

Quad ESL is made up of two bass panels and three centrally located "strips." The two outside or midrange strips operate in parallel and roll off above 2-3kHz, while the middle or treble strip reproduces all the frequencies above 600Hz

PLUS

Quad's frequency response, which features a broad valley from about 2.5 to 8kHz, or from the upper mids through the lower treble
..and anyway, anyone who wants some balanced FR has to find some bass cabinets to handle the bass bit, or they sound thin.

Actually**:- for lots of reasons.
The best way to run them is stacked (the early ones) in pairs one above the other, which of course doubles the price and the PSU requirements,- and of course the maintenance!

Basically if you are used to a classic listening spot you can forget that with QUAD ESL, they don't work like that.

Here's the rest of the speel for what it's worth..quite a lot of truth in there.

The Quads possess a definite sweet spot, which is to say that the upper octaves are rather beamy—sort of like the way a flashlight concentrates light in the forward direction.

The spatial extension of this sweet spot is defined primarily by the dispersion in the vertical plane, which is a mere 15° in the treble.
Beamy treble is not a problem unique to the Quads, or to electrostatics in general, but is common to all speakers where the active dimensions of the treble driver are on the order of the radiated wavelengths or larger.

For example, the length of the tweeter strips is around 24", which corresponds to the wavelength at 550Hz. At frequencies above 550Hz, therefore, the Quads become increasingly directional in the vertical plane. It becomes necessary then to contain the listening seat to the area of the sweet spot.

The speakers must first be toed in toward the listener and the height of the listening seat adjusted so that the ears ** are no higher than the top of the panels. The sweet spot is then defined (according to DO, at least!) by an area centered on a line bisecting the speakers, six to eight feet from the plane of the panels and one foot wide on either side of the centerline.

The optimum distance from the speakers is somewhat room-dependent and should be selected on the basis of active experimentation in your room. Within the sweet spot, the sound of the Quads is quite cohesive and capable of excellent imaging.

Outside of the sweet spot, their imaging ability and tonal balance deteriorate. The Quads are therefore a one-person speaker.
OT as usual but nevertheless fascinating, and really rather different with the later ESL63

unlike the Original, all the stator spacings are the same, and the panel area is divided into 8 annular regions. The center region plays full range, and moving outward the signal is delayed and the high frequencies are filtered out in subsequent rings. This technique makes the flat panel radiate a wave front that is similar in geometry to a point source located a short distance behind the speaker.
Welcome to read the rest here

British audio is a lot like old British cars.
If there's no oil on the floor, it's likely there's no oil in there at all....

Last edited:
I lived close to Oxford for years, but never met Gerzon, I would have been too young.
A highly controversial genius who made friends and enemies, maybe he was his own enemy?
He certainly thought the BBC behaved similarly badly to today.**

I was lucky enough to have met him and also got to sit in on several conversations he had with Peter Walker and Peter Baxandall. I still have two unpublished papers with his hand written "confidential" notes scrawled over them. They remain well kept.

*As for the objective choice of techniques, Prof Schneider, describes it roughly this way:-
All down to decisions:-
Few come up with it as clearly as this.

"Choose if you want to record the acoustic, with the musicians in it",
or
"record the musicians with the acoustic of the hall round them"

That is a fantastic quote to be remembered!

then
choose whether in the end you have to use convolution techniques or not, and y/n if you want to get the stability inherent on speakers by using transaural rejection, and finally with multiple arrays...get the time spacing coherent re: distance in m/s.

Oddly maybe? But whether by chance or otherwise, the speaker array form that is the subject of this thread (intentionally or not) provides the best means of minimising the compromises in that selection and as well as ameliorating the deficiencies in conventional reproduction eluded to previously.

I reckon Prof Schneider had quite a bit in common with Gerzon, except in France they end up in CNRS..which he described as a long term system to put people away in cupboards, so those with the power over decisions could shut them up, and never listen to what common sense they spouted.

Those who are familiar with Roque d'Anteron piano festival would be familiar with the world leading work in natural open air concert acoustics with ZERO sound reinforcement.

Conque_C_Christophe_Gremiot_bannireSITE_automne2017.jpg

I have a lot of respect for the French, with their IRCAM, and then you have Bologna with Angelo Farina and all the others....

bet you didn't know?
(Founded in 1088, University of Bologna is the world's oldest continuously operating university, and one of the leading academic institutions in Europe.)

Oh well...small world and all that. :D

Thanks for your reply 6vheater, I enjoyed that. I haven't had the 'experience' as might be obvious by now, haha. Those speakers must do the trick they do extremely well for them to be so well known. I will read the rest of it later today. So far the picture of how it could possibly sound, inspired by your text, that has been created in my imagination I could describe as: "headphones from a distance" but that may change once I read the rest of the text.

About the multiple arrays, I might add to soundbloke, suggesting 'the other way' of reproducing M/S by 3 monopole speakers. Two at the sides of LP facing listeners ears and the center in front, at equal distance to LP as the other two logically.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.