Mid-side stereo techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
headphones from a distance
yea right, you try clapping a pair of those "heaters" on your ears!
Watch out there's 3kv about!

Grief, can you imagine it, the metro is already full of zombies strapped to their smartphones with earplugs in....

Some blockhead struggles on at Baywater tube, with a pair of QUAD ESL's strapped on his head..
would get you noticed that's for sure... :)
well you never know, some people are so into their smartphones...they might not even look up!

"mind if I sit down mate?"
I'm looking for a bit of mid side, is that OK with you?
my cans are a bit heavy...sorry about the electric shocks mate.. :D

Last edited:
@6v: tumbling off topic now for sure but I have to know.. I remember some kind of trigger happy TV like sketch. A waiter showing up at a table, but then screamed "WOULD YOU LIKE SOME PEPPER?!?!" out of the blue with this giant pepper mill seemingly coming from nowhere. I have been trying to find this sketch for over 10 years now. Your comment reminded me of that so might as wel give it a try, maybe somebody reading this remembers it.

@Pano: Interesting, did you like working on the project or was it frustrating at all times?

I reckon Prof Schneider had quite a bit in common with Gerzon, except in France they end up in CNRS..which he described as a long term system to put people away in cupboards, so those with the power over decisions could shut them up, and never listen to what common sense they spouted.
That sounds like some proper Orwellian stuff right there. Do not know if I want to research it, or not...
Those who are familiar with Roque d'Anteron piano festival would be familiar with the world leading work in natural open air concert acoustics with ZERO sound reinforcement.

Conque_C_Christophe_Gremiot_bannireSITE_automne2017.jpg

I have a lot of respect for the French, with their IRCAM, and then you have Bologna with Angelo Farina and all the others....

bet you didn't know?
(Founded in 1088, University of Bologna is the world's oldest continuously operating university, and one of the leading academic institutions in Europe.)

Oh well...small world and all that. :D
I didn't know anything you just said.
The zero sound enforcement concert reminds me of a roman amphitheatrum, accoustic amplification like in churches or other holy buildings. Makes me wonder how much temple builders knew about accoustics... They sure knew how to match amazing sound with amazing sights! If I could, I would've wanted to see the Alexandrian library (who wouldn't) so Bologna has my interest automatically.

About the multiple arrays, I might add to soundbloke, suggesting 'the other way' of reproducing M/S by 3 monopole speakers. Two at the sides of LP facing listeners ears and the center in front, at equal distance to LP as the other two logically.

In such an array you provide the worse possible S-channel combing and the most difficult (strictly impossible) HF compensation. My advice would be to stick with the three speaker, narrow angle set-up and see where that takes you...

(The sound will only travel until it reaches the ear, brain does the rest? In other words, the cancellation function combs the hair, not the ears in this case lol? This is not the point though

I agree with your post, the proposed configuration in this topic seems to suit this recording style the best.*
Makes me want to try it out for a little to experience the basics.

After I finish doodling, am going to try to put together a mock-up thing tomorrow.
Have no serious materials in my cramped dog house appartment so just for fun.
Threw away good cabinets 2 weeks ago that I could've used with this thing. I seem bad at timing these clean-ups more than I'd like.

*Upcoming badly drawn sketch may clarify why I agree with your point of view (quite literally even).

My extra take on all that with surround sound, is:- "ARE YOU THERE" or "ARE THEY HERE".
If you got to the bottom of all that pile, you might possibly end up with a decent recording.

... Which is what I find comes up in HiFi quite a lot. The controlled-directivity people would rather have "you are there" - you don't hear much of your room's own contribution, just what's in the recording.
However, the "they are here" people would use speakers that illuminate the room a lot more (omnidirectional speakers, for example), so your room's contribution would be very large.

Most recordings are somewhere in the middle, which means most people settle on a speaker that's somewhere in the middle - we end up with lots of 6" 2-way boxes.

Chris

...still missing something, the only difference left to right, would be phase?
Totally off topic, but looking at the DDRAIG GOCH, I can't help saying the only thing missing was not wearing a black shirt these last weeks... and they didn't go left or right, they didn't even TRY! :D

No smoke no fire!

There's lots of ways to be doing things in 3s...mid side of course, as I say being a BBC favorite as is their dummy head binaural they were broadcasting proms in this summer...

(but here is at least one place where it can't work - spot the figure 8s though).
And my favourite for testing amps and speaker systems, again with a "Gerzon" figure 8 in there.

If you can reproduce that, without wobbling/modulation in the treble you are doing well..
I never found any other system that managed it.

Another 3-some of course is the "decca triangle" which can give sparking or dreadful results dependent on lots of things.
The reason I am sounding OT, - obviously to do MS reproduction you have to get a proper source to replicate, as most stereo sources won't work.

Last edited:
You are missing nothing. The thread concerns three speaker stereo - and various ways to make it very effective - or very ineffective.
Thanks........
Yes, more or less, since a dipole (figure 8) mic is used for that signal in M/S recording.
..........I'm referring to the speaker, so is the idea for the transformation to be done acoustically? How do you mean "more or less"?

Last edited:
Thanks........

..........I'm referring to the speaker, so is the idea for the transformation to be done acoustically? How do you mean "more or less"?

It has nothing to do with MS recording as I have been saying from my first post. It concerns instead three speaker stereo.

The misunderstanding stems (I think) from what a directivity plot shows...

A microphone (array) directivity plot shows the relationship between one or more acoustic sources and the receiver (the microphone(s)). The acoustic source(s) are only implied in the diagram, however.

In the case reproduction, there are two receivers (the ears) and the "reciprocal" application of a microphone directivity plot is misguided since for reproduction analysis the source should be likewise implied.

Think of the "MS" speaker as three speaker stereo received by two ears and it might make some sense. MS is just one possible input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.