TDL Studio 1 : need replacement drivers

A question for cm6.

Wilmslow's data suggest to me DT100 1.5KHz resonance, minimum crossover frequency 2.5KHz and ferrofluid damping. The DT250 specification is 1.75KHz and crossover frequency 3KHz with no ferrofluid. What was the resonance frequency of the original driver?

Interestingly checking the manufacturers website DT-250 didn't get me to a data page, so it looks like it is end of life as a product. Although there will be many sitting around on shelves in speaker shops.

I do take your point about first order crossovers and tweeters, and at least a second or third order acoustic roll in is often a better and safer choice for myriad reasons.

Agree that if the Wilmslow crossover is 2nd order there will be a bigger safety margin on not blowing the tweeter at parties. Always be careful with the volume control, if it sounds bad time to back the volume off.

Indeed! It was at one of my son's parties that the original drivers got blasted to kingdom come - all four of them! And when I walked in to protest I found one of his mates dancing with my fridge door. A memorable evening!

I've a pair of TDL Studio 1. First edition with hexagonal woofer. Inductor didn't survive transport across Europe. The glue used did not withstand and coil fell off the PCB. I've managed to somehow fix that, but it is only temporary. Due to outer shell of used wire and unfortunate location of the damage it's hard to fix it. I was thinking about replacing both coils with new high quality air core coils (jantzen maybe?), as I've already done with capacitors and resistors. Unfortunately I don't know original parameters and can't find any info on that part. I've some chinesse digital multimeter that says that original coil have 1mH inductance and 1Ohm resistance. Could someone confirm this? Has anyone taken such measurements?

Last edited:
Not being able to find a crossover schematic in the last 5 minutes, I don't know about your values.

1mH could be correct, but the 10ohm aspect seems wrong. If it is a bass unit inductor, I would have thought less than 0.5 ohm.
How thick is the wire if it is between 0.75mm and 1.25mm 10 ohms would need kilometres of wire, do both Xover give you the same reading. If there are resistors on the board they should have values written on them, does the meter agree with the values if you measure them?

Last edited:
I wrote 1Ohm, as a single one Ohm. Not 10. Just 1. The wire is about 0.7mm thick.
Other components were already mentioned in this thread. They are 4u, 5u and 12uF bipolar Alcap and 1.5 and 10 Ohm 5W Expotus resistors. Only the coil is unknown.

Last edited:
Buy a coil of known inductance (I suggest 1mH) and resistance and check the multimeter with that one. Jantzen, Intertechnik, Mundorf and so on offer coils with 5% tolerance. Either start with a cheap coil or gamble and buy the desired pair. Most multimeters I know are more or less accurate enough with normal coil types.

I wrote 1Ohm, as a single one Ohm. Not 10. Just 1. The wire is about 0.7mm thick.
Other components were already mentioned in this thread. They are 4u, 5u and 12uF bipolar Alcap and 1.5 and 10 Ohm 5W Expotus resistors. Only the coil is unknown.

That is quite possible. TDL used 0.7mm gauge wire on the inductors giving a fairly high resistance - 1 Ohm is about right. The Studio 3's II had 1.1mH coils so it could well be a 1.0 mH coil. Also, they typically used 4uF and 12uF caps in series for the tweeters as part of a third order crossover and the 5uF as the parallel cap in a 3rd order low pass. The Studio 3's had an additional low pass parallel 5uF cap in series with a 15 Ohm resistor as a zobel.

I have some brand new woofers for TDL studio 1

Thanks Jensen. It's a bit complicated here because I live in France and transmission-line speakers aren't very well known either by constructors or repairers. I did have them repaired professionally once (by a guy called Pascal Louvet who makes high-end speakers and does repairs too) but the sound was a long way from being like it was before... :-(

There's no risk of that! I've been banging on about it ever since (2009!) They borrow a sort of DJ-style active speaker now and woe betide anyone who uses anything else! :)
Hi Sally,
I've just started on the same course. My TDL STudio 1s are getting a bit raspy. I'm starting with recapping the xovers. Will the tweeters be knackered or should they still work ok?
Many thanks
Si.