multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lots of responses!

Sub Sonic I recently got a minidsp and am very fond of it but I will need to order the usb mic to really make the most of it? Very slowly getting the hang of it and REW.

AllenB I've currently got a couple of 10" daichi woofers bodged into a big old Technics enclosure, port is stuffed with foam. I think they're good up to about 3khz? I think it's this one? They're a bit beaten up (second hand) but have responded to equalization well.

HFR250-150-8 10" Hf/R Woofer Hi-Power - Daichi, Speaker Drivers | Wagner Online Electronic Stores

I'm playing around with a cheap Daichi 8" wide range on top and have some small tang band to stick on there at some stage too.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 15" fatals and maybe a decent wide ranger up top until I finally decide on what waveguide/cd to get.

I was actually without speakers for quite some time due to a really bad case of analysis paralysis so the hideous monstrosities currently inhabiting the lounge are fun to have.

I'm going to try push ahead and order these soon, next step will be the hardest, cutting a large circle.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
15" you say? Well, this sets you on the 90 degrees dispersion for a crossover around 700-1200Hz approximately, depending on which features you rely on to get it right, assuming the plain waveguide woofer option.

It should not be necessary or possible to use it any higher than this.

Looking at the aforementioned Faital 15PR400 it has a paper cone and pleated surround, which are not a bad thing when you try to cross this high. It also has a high sensitivity, and has been heard by SS, which is good to know.

I'm quite sure these will jump you out of your analysis paralysis.

These are 12's and the fifth one is a coax but if you want party and not critical listening then you already have someone who's done what you want. The woofers are BR, and the coax is rear vented. System is tri-amped with about a 200Hz high pass on the coax, and 2500 on the CD.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Cal that looks like a lot of fun/trouble. I'm sure my elderly neighbours would love it. Fortunately for them I'm not a big fan of sharing my musical/movie tastes with everyone within a square mile.

Sub, unfortunately I'm pretty light on the power tools so no router but I may splurge? I had planned on mounting the driver on the front of a thinnish baffle then reinforcing around it. I'm toying with the idea of a simple OB just to get the ball rolling.

I once eq’d mine to 20 Hz sealed, using only a DIY 25 watt F5. SPL was OK but unsurprisingly, headroom was not huge. It worked but sounded better crossed over higher and using the Rythmik subs up to 60-80Hz. The drivers should be pretty happy with an eq’d bottom end, but 20Hz is probably pushing it a little too far :) 40-50Hz should work depending on SPL needs.

The faitals are faaaaar better specced than my current 10" drivers (and they're doing ok) so I think once I stick them in a large sealed enclosure, with room gain, these things will have little problem plumbing the depths and as I've said before I don't listen loud.

If I do OB them it'll most likely just be a stop gap until I've built a large sealed enclosure I like.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
plumbing the depths
Perhaps unexpectedly, the high frequency performance of a 15" driver comes into the spotlight in more designs than the bass does. In fact, this works in favour of efficiency. Once you get into the room modes, but far enough to satisfy yourself that voices have been coherently produced, the fs really doesn't need to be 20Hz. Even 60Hz is useable.

with room gain,

Room gain isn't a figure of merit, sorry to say, it is more like an entire book.

Dream bass/mid-bass synergy. Do you still have them. How does the combo sound?

I absolutely looove the Rythmik subs, they are the 12” Al cone with the A370PEQ3 amps. Best sounding subwoofers I have had so far, they easily integrate, go deeeep, and are very “musical”. They never draw attention to themselves, they just provide the lowest octaves effortlessly and without any fuss. I can’t praise them enough :)
They are fairly pricey here in Aust, but they are worth every cent.

Edit: re the DE250/SEOS15/15PR400/Rythmik sub combo, for all practical listening in my room, I don’t have any lack of headroom. I can listen for hours, the mains are biamped with a DIY Pass F5 and ACA.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.