multiple cheap 15" vs one expensive 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Matt, enclosure walls. The baffle cut out is about 14" and the enclosure is just over 15" wide, I think the driver would fit but it wouldn't have much room to breath at the sides. Might do as a stop gap measure though.

Lojzek thank you for the recommendation but I think my head has been turned by this humungous faital pro beastie? :D

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
ewollowe, you showed an interest in econowave in another thread. Like with so many other examples, the size of the driver should be what it is, no smaller, no larger. It controls dispersion. Raw output is not a primary concern (although with larger drivers neither does it have to be).

Hi AllenB,

I'm deeply hindered by being completely smitten with multiple design philosophies. I am no purist.

I'll be convinced of Geddes or Danley one moment then be lusting after a linkwitz or bipole design the next.
One thing I do know (and only recently learned) is that I most certainly prefer the dynamics of a large woofer to a smaller "higher fi" speaker. The faitalpro driver seems like a very good deal to me price wise (especially for Australia), so why not go down that road? I could certainly econowave it further down the line yes? That's if I went with constant directivity, I've played with some bipole stuff too and enjoyed it.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm deeply hindered by being completely smitten with multiple design philosophies.
I get that way too. Once you commit to an idea and begin a real design, you can see the limitations. Sometimes I have turned my back on months of hard work, disappointed at what has been wasted, but glad to see the real reasons for it all.

I most certainly prefer the dynamics of a large woofer to a smaller "higher fi" speaker.
This isn't as deep as analysing speaker design philosophies so I can simply say that you are on to something here. Not that there needn't be different ways to reach this result. I think if you like the larger woofer then you'll really like the compression driver tweeter (once you have it tamed ;))

I get that way too. Once you commit to an idea and begin a real design, you can see the limitations. Sometimes I have turned my back on months of hard work, disappointed at what has been wasted, but glad to see the real reasons for it all.

This isn't as deep as analysing speaker design philosophies so I can simply say that you are on to something here. Not that there needn't be different ways to reach this result. I think if you like the larger woofer then you'll really like the compression driver tweeter (once you have it tamed ;))

I'm pretty sure this is the route I'm travelling. Any opinion on the cheap faitalpro CD?

Faital Pro HF102 HF Compression Driver 30W - DJ City

My ear seems to be pretty forgiving of colouration but what I'm learning is that compression is really obvious to me.
A good friend of mine has a fine set of quality bookshelf speakers but they just sound so small and compressed compared to some of the stuff I've lazily thrown together?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Compression, yes. Dome tweeters don't sound the same once they have warmed up. They don't sound the same on the same song played at a different level. So, maybe they also sound different instantaneously.

Compression tweeters are good if this is a concern to you. However I notice that the HF102 has a 1" voice coil?

I'm pretty sure this is the route I'm travelling. Any opinion on the cheap faitalpro CD?

Faital Pro HF102 HF Compression Driver 30W - DJ City

My ear seems to be pretty forgiving of colouration but what I'm learning is that compression is really obvious to me.
A good friend of mine has a fine set of quality bookshelf speakers but they just sound so small and compressed compared to some of the stuff I've lazily thrown together?

HF102 recommended minimum crossover by Faital Pro is 2.6 khz, though that is based on full power application in a pro sound usage case. At home, you will be able to utilize a lower crossover, but I would not suggest it is a good match for a 15" woofer. 12 or 10" woofer, perhaps a better choice. Response is drooping below 2khz on their specified horn.

FaitalPRO | HF Drivers | HF102

I'd suggest a ~800 hz or lower crossover with a 15" woofer, for a directivity match through the crossover frequency.

The HF108R has a larger diaphragm, will tolerate a lower crossover than the HF102, and has a much stronger magnetic gap strength of 2.1T vs 1.3T.

Lowest recommended xover of the HF108R is 1.3khz, though that is based on the expected output of pro sound usage. You might consider trying a crossover just below 1khz with this driver for home use.

I’d also be looking for a CD that can do a XO of 1kHz or less. I’m currently using a B&C DE250 in a SEOS15, XO’d at around 1kHz.
Previously I’d used a Dayton D250P (flange mount) with a Dayton H812 horn which gave me a start. If you could source a decent controlled directivity waveguide to suit a 1kHz XO it would be even better.
The Dayton parts are available from WES Components at reasonable prices, with the exception of flange/threaded adapters for the compression drivers (if required). I’d strongly recommend a MiniDSP 2x4 as a good active XO and EQ option.

Cheers,

Matt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.