Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Found some measurements of the TD15M as well.
These were regarded as one of the best 15" woofers available and favorably compared to TAD drivers.

Attachments

• Disto-AE-TD15M-15cm-28V.jpg
    Disto-AE-TD15M-15cm-28V.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 549
  • Disto-Pourcent-AE-TD15M-15cm-28V.jpg
    Disto-Pourcent-AE-TD15M-15cm-28V.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Measured THD and intermodulation distortion of five 15" woofers.

Attachments

• Comparaison des intermodulations 38 cm.jpg
    Comparaison des intermodulations 38 cm.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Comparaison THD à 114 dB.jpg
    Comparaison THD à 114 dB.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 509
  • Comparaison THD à 104 dB.jpg
    Comparaison THD à 104 dB.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Comparaison THD à 94 dB.jpg
    Comparaison THD à 94 dB.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
BMS triple rings shows its stuff. Nice and clean. Wonder how the differential drive motors(JBL, 18 Sound) do in IMD tests.

The 18 Sound AIC motor showed comparable or better IMD numbers than AE on the drivervault site. THD was average.

I believe the same French testers(member PVRX) chose the BMS 15N850, 18 Sound 8NM610, and Mundorf AMT for their 3-way proof of concept rig.

They also tested a whole bunch of compression drivers as well. 18 Sound came out on top but not nearly as good as the AMT's above 2k. IMD is the real downfall of compression drivers at high levels. Much less of an issue in home when using less than a watt most of the time.

They also tested a whole bunch of compression drivers as well. 18 Sound came out on top but not nearly as good as the AMT's above 2k. IMD is the real downfall of compression drivers at high levels. Much less of an issue in home when using less than a watt most of the time.

AMTs have their own set of limitations, but some are indeed very good.
However, this doesn't necessarily imply that an AMT is a substitute for a compression driver.
The comments follwing the published comparison (attached) weren't in favor of AMTs at all.

Attachments

• Comparaison THD TPL200-H et 2060A.jpg
    Comparaison THD TPL200-H et 2060A.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Sometimes, favorable measurement data alone don't bring universal happiness.

The comments on the French forum regarding 'the sound' of AMTs are familiar.

My other half used to work part-time at high-end shows.
On a few occasions the highly acclaimed Steinway Lyngdorf systems were demoed...
According to him, these "had nothing to do with decent reproduction of music".
He does appreciate Quad ESLs though, as do I.

Last edited:
BMS triple rings shows its stuff. Nice and clean. Wonder how the differential drive motors(JBL, 18 Sound) do in IMD tests.

The 18 Sound AIC motor showed comparable or better IMD numbers than AE on the drivervault site. THD was average.

The BMS woofers are generally very good, along with many drivers from 18Sound, B&C, Beyma, FaitalPro JBL (Professional) etc.

We must bear in mind, however, that most of the top performers as regards to distortion figures have been designed for extremely high SPLs. It's tempting to be guided by these excellent measurement results when selecting drivers for a project. The question is whether the attractive properties make a big difference for the specific application.

Moreover, AE drivers are a special breed. Even though the drivers are occasionally used in PA environments, I don't think these are designed to compete with BMS, B&C etc.
Even if they were, the lead time would force the company out of the market almost instantly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Merci Ro808 for the measurements. I've not seen many comparisons like that.

Listening tests can be deceptive sometimes. I remember listening to a Lyngdorf system demo (not Steinway) years ago at RMAF. It was my first exposure to good DSP room correction. I thought the system was excellent, clean and detailed. Riders on the Storm became a test track for me because I thought the Lyngdorf was so revealing. Got back home from Denver and fired up "Riders" on my modest Altec/Selenium open baffles and was amazed at how much better overall, and how much more detailed, they were than the Lyngdorf system. I tend to be too easy an audience. :)

AMTs have their own set of limitations, but some are indeed very good.
However, this doesn't necessarily imply that an AMT is a substitute for a compression driver.
The comments follwing the published comparison (attached) weren't in favor of AMTs at all.

I've read some comments about AMT's being a bit lifeless compared to compression drivers. I wonder if the limited vertical dispersion is the main problem for most people. I've only heard the smaller AMT equipped Adam studio monitors.

Then I read rave reviews for Alcons planar ribbons and wonder...

I'll look for the thread thanks.
<<Mesures TPL200-H Beyma>> - 30064230 - sur le forum <<Enceintes>> - 1464 - du site Homecinema-fr.com

Last edited:
Yup, the small AMTs are (were?) populair for small desktop monitor speakers. I've heard many of those and liked the Adams quite a bit.

A (Steinway) Mungdorf room corrected setup does have its merits: in home theatres.

In the French thread someone referred to the Dutch Stage Accompany speakers with the planar mid-high unit (SA8535).
Its predecessor, the SA8520, was originally co-developed with Philips in the early 80s.

Later, a number of former SA people founded Alcons Audio
I think Beyma took inspiration from the SA/Alcons drivers in development of the TPL range.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

I believe the same French testers(member PVRX) chose the BMS 15N850, 18 Sound 8NM610, and Mundorf AMT for their 3-way proof of concept rig.

The quote about compression drivers and IMD compared to what? AMT's?, Are we talking at matching spl levels? If not, How can you make such a quote? At 1 watt you might be talking 112db depending on which ever driver/horn.....I looked up the drivervault study but did not find any measurements of AMT's. Can I get you to post some measurements to illustrate your point or at least site you source of measurements. It really enriches the thread.

The BMS woofers are generally very good, along with many drivers from 18Sound, B&C, Beyma, FaitalPro JBL (Professional) etc.

We must bear in mind, however, that most of the top performers as regards to distortion figures have been designed for extremely high SPLs. It's tempting to be guided by these excellent measurement results when selecting drivers for a project. The question is whether the attractive properties make a big difference for the specific application.

Moreover, AE drivers are a special breed. Even though the drivers are occasionally used in PA environments, I don't think these are designed to compete with BMS, B&C etc.
Even if they were, the lead time would force the company out of the market almost instantly.

Are you suggesting that BMS and B&C are better drivers? I mean IMD performance is everything, not really but kinda sorta.

Are you suggesting that BMS and B&C are better drivers? I mean IMD performance is everything, not really but kinda sorta.

No ;)
BMS and B&C are mass produced products, mostly designed to endure the rigours of PA environments, whereas AE is a small company that produces 'specialty' loudspeaker drivers.
Obviously, this doesn't imply (all) BMS and B&C drivers are less suited for domestic use, or that AE drivers are not suited for PA.

Which PA company makes an equivalent to the TD18H+ ?

In order to to avoid further misunderstanding: I think IMD and THD figures are only relevant to a certain extent.
The 18 SOUND 15W750 mentioned previously, may not show the best IMD and THD figures, but still better than "good enough".

Last edited: