Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Me too, I was more meaning why camplo would have picked super cardioid as the better option over plain cardioid or sub cardioid.

I have no idea...its the word used to describe the Dutch everyone seems to like so much...

I look at the diagram you posted and I see the super cardioid also has a more narrow front polar...that is desirable...I am wondering how does one create a shotgun cardioid polar or is that just a microphone thing...

On the same note for active cardioid and diy....

The thought crossed by mind... I see people take advantage of cheap n small drivers to build powerful line arrays...

My idea was to use an multi array of "smaller" drivers covering the sides of the monitors...to achieve active cardioid....might make for a nice SQ boost at my nearfield listening position..

DR. Geddes, I looked on your website, where exactly is this information you wrote about setting up active cardioid systems?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ in microphone there is two ways to have super/hyper cardioids:
_either you have a dual membrane condenser capsule and you play with polarity and biasing of one membrane vs the other,
_ either you use an 'acoustic' labirynth to delay the backwave which will hit the membrane( the openings are entry of the labirynth which can be multitaps to 'shape' the response. Most dynamic unidirectional are done this way).

Shotgun can be a mix of both for what i've seen.

So either you switch to some back to back ESL and play with polarity and biasing, either... ;) :D

Last edited:
OK thank you....before I dig into the literature, humor this....

Lets say I'm dealing with a side driver purposed for directivity control....play main driver(s)....measure at certain distance in front of the side driver...take that measurement and invert it...inverse phase....time align it to get max cancellation? Done?

I have taken into my notes your idea of filling up the inside of a sealed cab, (while making sure not to compress any fibers)...

From studying TL I know the trait of spitting a chamber in half, helps to tame resonance...

What if one where to layer the inside of a cabinet with say 1inch layer of damping material on top of one thin separating sheet, and repeat? Would this help further to kill resonance?

I bought a cheap multimeter so I could take some 1watt (2.86v?) measurements?
Watts = Voltage squared / resistance. One watt is conveniently the square root of the resistance.
Might as well start with the correct nominal voltage, 2.83v (2.828v) into 8 ohms = 1watt, 2v@4, 4v@16. That said, you will be lucky to find two cheap multimeters to agree within .01 volts, but you have to start somewhere ;^).

Best to calibrate using 50-60 Hz sine waves, as the multimeter voltage circuit is made for correct readings with alternating current as used in typical power distribution, higher frequencies, or music or noise signals will not read as accurately.

Art

Last edited:
Thanks Art!

GM I reposted your links here hoping to spread the info

Spreading info is not that easy....I tried to share some of my new found knowledge of speaker design to a mastering engineer group and it did not go well lol! I went down through the story of surface area, excursion and sound quality and I got shunned....I'll get back to them when I have everything assembled and have some measurements...and my ban is up...

Last edited:
The cheap (<$40) DVM I have owned have produced random numbers on music. they are designed for 50-60 hz.
Cheap analog VOM are quite useful on music. I started measuring voltage on speaker with a $10 Radio Shack jewel. The bad news started my practice of replacing e-caps, and later tube & selenium rectifiers. At 5000 ohms/volt like a simpson 260, you can use them for tracing music through broken amplifiers. Takes a 2 vac scale to do much good near the front end, but 20 v or 50 v scales are fine for speaker wattage.
I calibrate meter with a zener diode bought from an authorized distributor. Resistance set to produce nominal zener current, the voltage is within 5% for A suffix parts.

Last edited:
Fluid to the rescue as usual, thank you kindly sir.

I sorta passed on the 2.83v measurements, My meter doesn't read past whole numbers for voltage....I guess it was just for research anyway....I wanted to see how sensitivity the CD + horn was....maybe if I set the output to 3volts at 50-60hz sinewave....the results can be extrapolated

Last edited: