My ideal TL tower subwoofer idea!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.I already have SB acoustics SB34NRX75-6 woofer in sealed 100 liters birch plywood box.I am very happy with the sound but there is some dips and peaks in room because of room mode.
I am planning to make a TL subwoofer tower because of WAF.She does not want me to make another 100 litres box in the right of TV. However she said she will be happy with 20cm wide 40cm depth and around 90cm tall slim subwoofer.And also it is good for me because i already made a PLLXO with around 120Hz /12db.( i connected 2 resistors and made mono connection for sb acoustics sub but i will separate them and listen to stereo when i make TL subwoofers)
So i now need 6,5inch 4pcs subwoofers/woofers suitable for TL.And this TL subwoofers have to be downfiring.They should not seem on front.
I already have 4pcs of Easttech FSB12A065-1401 woofers ,they are in sealed 7 liters box now but i want to upgrade.(It is a big east speaker company ,they are working with Scan speak company.)
As i remember they had around 42-45Hz Fs.I asked but they said they delete datasheets of drivers after 8 year old.
I can also buy more quality drivers which you suggest for my project.
Please advise inside dimensions.I am not experienced in TL subwoofers but i read they are upgrade of sealed subwoofers.Regards

Attachments

• 20190219_152437.jpg
    20190219_152437.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 688
  • 20190224_063754.jpg
    20190224_063754.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 678
  • bose.jpg
    bose.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
I am planning to put different 2way bookshelf speakers ,fullrange speakers on top of this subwoofer.It may be very ideal for using them with different speakers IMHO.
The subwoofer will be like this.Sorry for my bad drawing.I am good at music ,playing some instruments as hobby but not very good at drawing :)

Attachments

• Notes_190226_221909_f8d_1.jpg
    Notes_190226_221909_f8d_1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 665
Hi.Yes as a hobby musician not a master,playing keyboard since childhood and some kind of regional flutes and singing,friends say i have a good voice.(Electronics engineer BS and also sound obsessive like many of us).Thanks for the response.It would be very good of course.Who does not want good sound.

So lets start to do some math.Because of woofers doubled , SD of TL will be doubled right?
And as i am using them only for low frequencies(below 150Hz) maybe it does not require stuffing?So sound speed will be 340m/s ?
Regards

Last edited:
I want to use them for daily music listening and also HT. I like fast transient response of bass.Also i like shaking ground while watching films.
Sorry i do not know about compromises.Maybe TL also have some disadvantages,i do not know them.As i know TL is better than sealed enclosures.Sealed is good to me but if TL is better i will try it.

looks a fun design, try it! :)

I like the drawing. woofers at the bass with port at the top rear, should allow for good placement and in room response, as you can move it away from side walls by increments to find the best tuning.

what woofers do you have in mind to sim. do you use Hornresp? There are folks here who seem rather proficient at simulating these types of enclosure. Also should this be in the Subass cabinet area of this forum? or is it in multiway as it is part of a full range setup.

Do you run both the tops simultaneously? This can work well for some types of music, but I find I prefur to listen to a individual pair of speakers.

what size drivers? for the sub(s)? I was guessing 8" for some reason.

Hi.Drivers should be 6,5 inches max.Because of wife does not like wide speakers it should be slim on front view and drivers should not seem so i want to make it downfiring woofers.It will be a white lacquer tower. 2 drivers per tower.4 subwoofers in total.Stereo listening.I also like idea of parallel small woofers because of their faster response than single big woofer.
Sorry I wanted it to post it in subwoofer area but posted it in multiway by mistake.However i will use them with sealed aucharm 4inch fullranges crossed at 120Hz 12db pllxo.
I have installed hornresp but do not know how to use it now.I checked this website for getting some info about TL
HiFi Loudspeaker Design
Can you suggest 6,5 inch subwoofers that is suited for my TL? I already have easttech drivers but it seems their FS is a bit high (around 42-45Hz)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Eastech makes some nice drivers. My partner is using 2 (maybe 4) 9” in his HT. We have had good performance out of a 7”, and i do hve an ML-TL design for them, but the design had to fit into the constraints of the 8” PVC pipe i wanted to put them in.

Do keep in mind that Sd has almost zilch to do with TL design. If you want to get decent performance on the 1st cut, you will need to model the TL.

And i suspect that the TL might be larger than 100 litre.

Got a link to the speaker’s data. I could not find this driver on the Eastech site, but they do do a lot of OEM drivers. Those look a lot like the 5.25” Eastechs i have, and the 12 in the model name is consistent with a 5.25” (12 cm) driver. I’ll go downstairs and see what model mine are.

dave

Eastech makes some nice drivers. My partner is using 2 (maybe 4) 9” in his HT. We have had good performance out of a 7”, and i do hve an ML-TL design for them, but the design had to fit into the constraints of the 8” PVC pipe i wanted to put them in.

Do keep in mind that Sd has almost zilch to do with TL design. If you want to get decent performance on the 1st cut, you will need to model the TL.

And i suspect that the TL might be larger than 100 litre.

Got a link to the speaker’s data. I could not find this driver on the Eastech site, but they do do a lot of OEM drivers. Those look a lot like the 5.25” Eastechs i have, and the 12 in the model name is consistent with a 5.25” (12 cm) driver. I’ll go downstairs and see what model mine are.

dave

Hi Dave.I can use any design inside the cabinet but outside dimensions should not exceed 20cm wide and 40cm depth and around 85cm height.100 liters x2 boxes are big for waf(i can live even with 1000 liters myself but wife does not :D ) .As i know only FS is enough for building TL.And as i remember when i measured Fs of these Eastech woofers it was showing same voltage between 42-45Hz,they are strange woofers.I measured another woofers but they were constant at specified frequency.I could not decide which is the real Fs.I will buy a new rigol DS1052E and will measure again all my woofers(i measured them with my DER EE DE5203 multimeter but i think it was not very accurate)Regards

Last edited:
The optimum 1/4-wavelength resonant (or tuning) frequency is not based solely on a driver's Fs; its Qts is also a major factor. When Qts is close to or equal to 0.4, the driver's Fs is the determining factor, but if Qts is significantly lower than 0.4, the tuning frequency will need to be higher than Fs, and if Qts is significantly higher than 0.4, the tuning frequency will need to be lower than Fs.
Paul

Hi Dave.I can use any design inside the cabinet but outside dimensions should not exceed 20cm wide and 40cm depth and around 85cm height.100 liters x2 boxes are big for waf(i can live even with 1000 liters myself but wife does not :D ) .As i know only FS is enough for building TL.And as i remember when i measured Fs of these Eastech woofers it was showing same voltage between 42-45Hz,they are strange woofers.I measured another woofers but they were constant at specified frequency.I could not decide which is the real Fs.I will buy a new rigol DS1052E and will measure again all my woofers(i measured them with my DER EE DE5203 multimeter but i think it was not very accurate)Regards

Hi.Thanks for your suggestions.I admire your designs.But it will be too big to make a 5 meters or so TL cabinets in our living room.I have to make a TL or ML-TL or something like that which has max dimensions of 20x40x85cm.
Finally i found Easttech information in thousands of pictures.I measured it last year.(may have some small errors but i think not very important)
6,5 inch each drivers
QTS seems 0,667
FS :50 hertz
Vas: 11,16 lt
So what do you suggest at these dimensions boxes which have twin driver each?Are dimensions too small for twin drivers?
Any recommendations are accepted.I am not looking for ultra hi-end design for them as they are not ultra hi end drivers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-095821_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190304-095821_Photos.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
max dimensions of 20x40x85cm.

6,5 inch each drivers
QTS seems 0,667
FS :50 hertz
Vas: 11,16 lt

So what do you suggest at these dimensions boxes which have twin driver each?Are dimensions too small for twin drivers?

Greets!

Without Qes, Qms I can't use Hornresp to do sims and need Power [Pe] and excursion [Xmax] for peak power response, though this online vented calculator specs a 52.36 L net volume [Vb] tuned to ~30 Hz for just one driver, so with a ~46.656 L Vb minus driver, vent bulk, it's theoretically too small for just one: HiFi Loudspeaker Design

That said, the pioneers determined that the best trade-off between size, peak power handling was when Vb = Vas/1.44 tuned to Fs = [Fb] or 11.16/1.44 = 7.75 L *2 = 15.5 L net/50 Hz Fb for two, though due to its high Qts it will be severely under-damped [big mid-bass 'hump'], probably requiring EQ to flatten it out and may still want to tune it a bit lower.

That, or damp/plug the vent till it's a sealed alignment or just build your max size cab and leave it sealed.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.