Tannoy owners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The graph shows the original xover. The regular ripples are a combination of internal cab reflections at the low end and diffraction at the lip of the horn. Both issues can be solved. On another horn, the JBL 2440 which had diffraction ripples I used P-foam draft excluder around the lip. This would be too thick for the HPD. 3M make an adhesive foam which is thin and durable. I tested it with a heat gun at high temp. This will probably work but my HPDs are a zillion miles away, so I can't try it. Other people have extended the lip. Need a 3D printer for this.

The attached sim has 2 versions of my HF xover section. Version 2 is the one I went with. I lost the bass section. You can see from the original xover graph that the mid is slightly elevated giving a mild shouty quality. This HF section might be useful for all drivers with the 2 inch diaphragm. I tried to keep the phase relatively flat. The original HPD295 xover is attached.

Attachments

• HPD295_xover.jpg
    HPD295_xover.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 289
  • HPD295.PNG
    HPD295.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 293
  • HPD295_HF.asc
    6.1 KB · Views: 38
they sound as Tannoy can sound in proper boxes - gorgeous :clown:

as poor man's RCA LC1 :rofl:

these in front are 3134 (paper cone 12", tulip) , bigger ones are HPD , my guy is also having Golds , can't remember which ones are mounted in, right now

some info you can find in my blog

The 3134 drivers appear to actually be affordable on the used market. I took a break from optimizing my MG 15s to enjoy the SALO8Cs for a while.

ZM, have you ever worked on a xover for the monitor golds? The original design seems to work quite well. Suitably degraded by age, they are pretty sweet sounding and it's a little... intense to hear that circuit executed with new capacitors and resistors.

Some (Troels Gravesen) feel that the published schematic for the x-over is wrong, and the actual inductors used in the high pass of production units had different values. I don't know how to measure my OEM crossover inductors, but there does seem to be something off in the crossover region in my DIY crossovers.

One thing that was interesting in testing my DIY xover was that when you measure the output with the tweeter leads reversed (actually unreversed), you don't get anything like a perfect dip in the output, but it sounds awful compared to having them connected the way they're supposed to be.

Volker has done some interesting things with Tannoy Reds.

truefi: Tannoy speakers

Would love to hear them.

I haven't followed the history of Tannoy but I do have a general question and would appreciate a quick peek at an answer. Are there some number of people who view Tannoy as hidebound and unseemly attached to past glories, like say, some sports car manufacturers who are long out of business?

That is MG (gone) or Lotus (modern) or Morgan (hard to say...) or Bentley (in a niche but doing OK) or maybe Land Rover (until recently, same parts regularly break today as broke 50 years ago)? Or like a re-invented company? Or just an old name with new owners like "RCA" or "Cooper"?

B.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did plenty of work in few recent years with Tanns , some of it published on my blog , some of it unpublished

when I manage to find some time , will try to prepare some documentation and info and publish , to share my findings

in short - pretty much every DC is having developed xover in time of Big Boys - Rackham and Co. ;

bad thing is that corner cutters were deciders , when boxes and physical implementation of xovers were made for market

passive xover form that time simply can't be made better , speaking of electrical scheme and values ; make it properly and that's it

and yes - autoformer for high pass section for 12" and 15" is a must , to bring things 1.25db up , so when cut and after Newman compensation , squawker is on level with bass

I personally prefer 1mH-ish choke in bass section , to my ears better that 3mH-ish , whatever anyone said and measured ;

sorry , have no energy for more now ; better to save it for later and write everything I can think of

as illustration , just few pics from my recent involvement in locally made pair of WM; my part was to make xovers and put drivers and them (and damping) in boxes

(WM just looks sorta small besides me , but that's just camera angle ; and yes , my posture is funny , right after entire afternoon kneeling and cutting damping sheets in situ :rofl: )

Attachments

• WP_20180923_19_06_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180923_19_06_06_Pro.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 290
  • WP_20180923_19_06_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180923_19_06_27_Pro.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 287
  • WP_20180923_19_06_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180923_19_06_16_Pro.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 292
  • WP_20180925_18_44_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180925_18_44_21_Pro.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
\re made for market

passive xover form that time simply can't be made better , speaking of electrical scheme and values ; make it properly and that's it

and yes - autoformer for high pass section for 12" and 15" is a must , to bring things 1.25db up , so when cut and after Newman compensation , squawker is on level with bass

One quick question. What is that cube shaped thing on the board with your low pass sections? Is that an autoformer by any chance?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
quick answer

cube is part od series LRC in WM bass section , everything else (except that LRC) being same as for any other Pepperpot 15" DC

autoformer for HF section is that biggest choke on other board , see writings on them

I'm making that autoformer as air core choke ...... so no core

Attachments

• TannoyWestminsterRoyalHEcrossover.JPG
    TannoyWestminsterRoyalHEcrossover.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
That is MG (gone) or Lotus (modern) or Morgan (hard to say...) or Bentley (in a niche but doing OK) or maybe Land Rover (until recently, same parts regularly break today as broke 50 years ago)? Or like a re-invented company? Or just an old name with new owners like "RCA" or "Cooper"?
B.

The ownership of Tannoy is a bit complicated. They were bought by the company that owns TC Electronic who began making studio gear. Tannoy were among a number of brands in audio under that umbrella. Now there is yet another holding company with Mr. Behringer as its chairman apparently. I have mostly come across Tannoy from the studio side. They are a modern progressive company and have moved away from the heritage boutique stuff for the majority of their business. But they are selling a modern version of the Eaton with a driver that can handle up to 400W. I would like to get my hands on that (the driver not the Eaton).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.