Troels Three Way Classic Bookshelf

i will say to tread starter....it is a very good ideer to start with a speaker build that already is made..so go on with it,,,

to build a speaker from the ground,,,need measure and simulation program,,,and a lot of different crossover component to try with,,change the dimension on the front of the speaker,,and you need new filter...it is hard work to make good speaker

Haven't got a clue mate ?

" No idea who Andrew Jones is but he is right about 2ways! "

I've absolutely no idea who Andrew Jones is either ? :confused:

But here's his new 2-way ...

Elac_B5.jpg

... looks like he forgot to add that 'essential' 3rd driver ! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

From the drawing, it looks like he didn't skimp on the main-MAGNET though !!! :D

An 'immediate' sounding X-over, 'perhaps' as well ? :p

Looks like it might ROCK baby ! :tilt:

Si. :)

t.S.E.c

Just happen to have a pair of 'Elac' tweeters as well as 'Scan Speak' ...

... N I C E ! :nod:

Look at the Elac website and you will find a huge and diverse range of designs, with many three-way (and even 4-way) speakers. In the commercial world you design to fit a price point, and at no point does Mr Jones say he actually prefers two-ways if price is no object. It is just too easy to look at the bottom of any given range and find a small speaker...

Alex

Interesting build - I nearly pulled the trigger on this design myself as they're one of the few speakers designed for near/on wall. Post a video when your done! I've present switched to potentially building the Kairos/Spirit wind, but Troels might have a further Scanspeak Ellipticor 2 way based on the 21W which might be interesting (with suitable baffle step correction). 1st order for me.

I've had two sets of speakers since 1998. I try to average just one set per decade lol, so I'm right in schedule.

The first pair was a mid 90's Klipsch 2 1/2 way, and currently a set of wideband + tweeter. I've enjoyed both in different ways, but feel like I can hear the deficiencies in both.

Surely a three way has some advantages, and a few deficiencies I suppose as well. I have a bookshelf situation and never had a three way so I want to try it out! I think this in the abstract which approach is better for all situations argument is pointless. There are many other threads for this.

Sling that solder BABY ! ...

" It is just too easy to look at the bottom of any given range and find a small speaker..."

Too true. :hphones:

BUT ... :eek:

... the DIYer 'thinking outsida the BOX' ...

... has a choice ! :umbrella:

Provided it isn't made for him. :confused:

Commercial considerations & all that j a z z ...

Mmm ...

Si. :)

t.S.E.c

I just Luuuv 'small' 3-ways really ... :D

... I've always been dead keen on soldering up X-over bits. ;)

This juma amp must play fine,,not must power ,,but i think lovely sound

i have newer heard any of the first watt...how many watt from M2

and the tube preamp from salas ...if this is as good as his new preamp DCG3..then it will play super (i use the DCG3)
i think you are on the way to get a very musical setup

The M2 I think is 25-30W, so should be perfect.
Yeah, really looking forward to hearing the 6V6 Salas. I'm a big admirer of his work!

This juma amp must play fine,,not must power ,,but i think lovely sound

i have newer heard any of the first watt...how many watt from M2

and the tube preamp from salas ...if this is as good as his new preamp DCG3..then it will play super (i use the DCG3)
i think you are on the way to get a very musical setup

A couple pics comparing bookcase and floor speakers with the same footpring. The low inductance on modern 5" midrange allow "crisp" mid sound with 180 degree polar dispersion up to 2.5kHz, plus a smooth slightly lower crossover frequency to an 8" woofers, and this often simplifies the baffle step compensation.

Attachments

• Floor Stander.jpg
    Floor Stander.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 622
  • Astasia.jpg
    Astasia.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Floor.jpg
    Floor.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 617
Surely a three way has some advantages, and a few deficiencies I suppose as well.
What are these deficiencies?

In terms of technical performance a competent 3 way is superior to a competent 2 way in pretty much every aspect (distortion, SPL, directivity, frequency passband,...) but perhaps there is one where a 2 way is superior? Anyone? The advantages of 2 ways are things like low price, small size and possibly simplicity depending on how much effort is made to address the shortcomings.

My 3 ways have 23 components. I'm using all metal drivers, so I need specific notch filters on both the woofer and midwoofer. I'd rather choose more components, including those in the signal path to achieve your desired acoustic target and avoid resonance issues with drivers, than simply minimise components because where the reduction compromises your target response.

I cannot see - even with an extremely well executed 7" 2-way - how that a single 7" driver can have the same dynamic range and be pistonic, producing excellent clean 40Hz bass, whilst also delivering 2,500Hz upper mid / lower treble performance. Compare this with splitting those frequency extremes across 2 drivers, dedicated for the purpose as per a 3 way.

The results, especially when you "turn it up" will reveal the 3 way is superior.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is another TG 3-way using Discovery drivers - and it uses the very excellent 10F/8414 as the midrange. I have the 10F/8424 and it is perhaps one of the best midranges ever made, certainly works well as a fullrange.

ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

ss-3w-intro-1-large.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger on the parts for this, but in the end, I made my own FAST (low freq XO point with full range as mid/tweet) 2-way with a near-transient perfect 1st order XO using the 10F for the wideband. I retained the same look at TG's speaker though:

My XO has 8 components (but in practice, the large cap is made using 3 separate film caps, so 10 components). So I would say 14 for a 3-way is not a lot at all and resistors are cheap.

656203d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-schematic-jpg

il_570xN.1418705752_lwz2.jpg

Some people may not know why would you want a transient perfect 1st order XO? Well, you get very crisp percussion from string plucks (guitar, stand up bass), piano, drums, etc. and imaging and soundstage are very accurate and vivid. Here is the step response of this speaker:
554264d1465632129-subjective-blind-abx-test-enabled-ff85wk-round-6-10f-fast-ir.png

Last edited: