Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Source "Tower XL"
Open Source "Tower XL"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2020, 07:59 PM   #891
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Could you make it such that part of the front panel (where the tweeter is) is removable? Then you could mount the horn+CD to the removable part of the front panel and then put the whole thing into the speaker.

Hi mbrennwa!

That is true, I can do that, although it would make the veneering (or laminating) more difficult, also not a big fan of having the screws showing on the top part and not on the rest of the baffle.

maybe we cut a larger groove around the horn like 140x200 (instead of 120x180mm - 10mm recessed around the horn edges) and attach a same size 140x200 board to the back of the horn so the whole assembly can sit in a larger cut out and it won't look that bad, I m not sure if I explained it well, will attach drawings later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
The tuned box will be more efficient to absorb the standing wave. To get the same absorption without the internal box you'll have to stuff the entire box with quite a lot of absorbing material, and most materials are not very efficient to absorb low-frequency sound. However, if you want to go the Troels way, I'd recommend melamine foam absorbers -- this may work okay without too much stuffing, which is important to allow the bass reflex system to work well.
Nice! will do the resonance chamber then

Old 6th January 2020, 08:40 PM   #892
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatto View Post
That is true, I can do that, although it would make the veneering (or laminating) more difficult, also not a big fan of having the screws showing on the top part and not on the rest of the baffle.
Quote:
maybe we cut a larger groove around the horn like 140x200 (instead of 120x180mm - 10mm recessed around the horn edges) and attach a same size 140x200 board to the back of the horn so the whole assembly can sit in a larger cut out and it won't look that bad...
A bit like an adapter ring? Sounds good to me.

Could you rear-mount the horn (like the ATC SM75-150 or Volt VM752 midrange) and do everything via a removable back?

Or would it be possible to mount the CD to the horn via the hole(s) of the wooer or midrange driver?
Old 6th January 2020, 08:52 PM   #893
diyAudio Member

Yes like an adapter.
no I can't rear mount it, the screw holes to attach the CD to the horn is on the front face of CD and has no access from the back.

removable back and access from mid or woofer is also not possible since the CD/Horn will sit in the resonance chamber and can't access it from there, also mid section is sealed and from the woofer cutout even if I could reach all the way to the top of the cabinet where HF driver is, the bracings is on the way, I think our only option is either a removable top section as you described or an adapter plate.

Last edited by Aatto; 6th January 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:20 PM   #894
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
What compression driver was it? I managed to install bulky hf10ak through sth100 hole, tight fit though. File/route from the backside of the frontpanel so that the frontpanel becomes rather thin from top (or bottom) of the sth100 mounting hole. Put one edge of the driver (+horn assembly) in first at an angle and then the rest with a rotating motion. Hard to describe, just think very thin frontpanel hope it helps, to avoid extra work. But then, it would be easier to tune the resonator through a bigfer opening like the adapter plate.
Old 7th January 2020, 01:06 AM   #895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
What compression driver was it? I managed to install bulky hf10ak through sth100 hole, tight fit though. File/route from the backside of the frontpanel so that the frontpanel becomes rather thin from top (or bottom) of the sth100 mounting hole. Put one edge of the driver (+horn assembly) in first at an angle and then the rest with a rotating motion. Hard to describe, just think very thin frontpanel hope it helps, to avoid extra work. But then, it would be easier to tune the resonator through a bigfer opening like the adapter plate.
Hi
HF10AK is 102mm in diameter but the driver here is HF107 which is 121mm, STH100 cutout is about 100mm

the drawings are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXL1.JPG (144.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg TXL2.JPG (168.6 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Aatto; 7th January 2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 7th January 2020, 03:00 AM   #896
diyAudio Member

Just a few pics to show the progress.
it is huge and very heavy already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7544.jpg (516.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7543.jpg (441.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7542.jpg (574.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Aatto; 7th January 2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 7th January 2020, 07:02 AM   #897
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Open Source "Tower XL"
Quote:
Hi
HF10AK is 102mm in diameter but the driver here is HF107 which is 121mm, STH100 cutout is about 100mm

the drawings are attached.
Ah, now I see, the drawing explains a lot. If I get this right, it's just 1mm missing... will it be possible to insert the CD+horn if you make the hole a bit elliptical (wider than 120mm, but only about 116mm tall or so) and then feed the CD through that hole at an angle, like tmuikku suggested?
Old 7th January 2020, 10:20 PM   #898
diyAudio Member

No it is not 1mm, the cutout is about 100mm (not 120mm), and the CD diamater is 121mm, even if I make a bigger 116mm by 120mm elliptical hole, I still think it wouldn't be enough to fit the CD+Horn assembly through because of the thickness of materiel (about 38mm) unless I remove some material from the back, I will try it on a scrap piece.
Old 7th January 2020, 10:23 PM   #899
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Make a cutout to a pizza box or any cardboard at hand. It is fast to try out and verifiest if it is doable or not

Open Source "Tower XL"Hide this!Advertise here!