Open Source Monkey Box

That ^^^^^^^^ but the word "beginner" isn't in the paper—"novice" is.
Fair enough
Not to start throwing toys—but the price list on the above Troels speakers in kit form is a huge range from ~650Euro to ~3,200Euro. I'm not qualified to compare the drivers they offer at the various price points
Troels kit is about 1400 and you buy the two faital for another 500

There is plus minus 200 depending on the xrossover level from Janzen audio.
I know the drivers in this project are top notch—so I think we are looking at the higher end of the spectrum—also the fact that the Troels kits have their profit built in—they either have bulk wholesale deals or the components are less expensive/quality than "your choice" building the OSMC. Matthias proved that fancy caps weren't "better", so no need to go nuts with stuff dipped in oil and rubbed on by some bees. I went with Mundorf MCaps across the board. Building the crossovers was exactly DIYAudio BLISS.
The bass is the exact same (Faital) it's like 140 eur each.
500 eur for a mid range driver is a lot, the 3" is a bit odd.
Troels mid range is also a fait, it is also a super good driver, but much more affordable.
The tweeter are both Scanspeak, however Troels is the entry line. However, this is scanspeak, it made in Denmark.

My build all in was around $2,600US. I looked recently and prices haven't gone that crazy in USD anyway, like I might have thought. The Volt mid is available—but one might have to wait. This is purely subjective—but as an object—from a design perspective—that driver is gorgeous. (as is the wave-guided tweeter)

The retail cost on a set of OSMC would be WAY WAY beyond my budget—likely many thousands of dollars. Worth it though—and certainly competing with some other really $$$$ speakers from big brands.

Plus—you MADE them—priceless.

Just my 2 cents.
Anyway, prices went up.... I am sure the design would be different If designed in 2023.

Reactions: 1 user
Although I do share the concern that the rising cost of the Volt will worsen the competitiveness of this design, I don’t agree that it should be cheap enough for everyone to afford. DIY covers pretty much all performance tiers, I am aware of folks who have cloned Wilson speakers or built active multi-way horn systems costing far more than the OSMC.

The lowest long-term cost in audio is usually buying used equipment from well known brands as diy builds have a very low resale value, and few people stick with the same for life. The true advantage of diy, apart from a sense of achievement, IMO is that we can tailor our solutions more to our space/budget/expectations constraints than is often possible with off the shelf products. But that’s an iterative process, with lots of little expenditures along the way, so one loses track of the true cost of diy.

Reactions: 2 users
Budget and woodworking level were both determined right from the start and were part of the design targets (see first post of this thread).

We never really put a clear limit on the budget, and we explicitly stated that going higher than $500 per box is totally fine, so there's nothing wrong with spending $2600 as @pfarrel did. But there's nothing wrong if you don't want to spend this kind of money. It just means that the OSMC is not for you.

The are no special woodworking skills needed to make the OSMC enclosure. It's just a simple rectangular box. I built several quick and cheap iterations during the development of the OSMC. My final enclosures were done by a professional woodworker because I wanted them to look as nice as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Although I do share the concern that the rising cost of the Volt will worsen the competitiveness of this design,...
I never looked at this as a competition with other loudspeaker designs. But if you do compare the OSMC to "competitors", you might also consider the fact that not only the Volt (and other parts) got more expensive, but the same happened to most other products out there (i.e., the "competition").
I don’t agree that it should be cheap enough for everyone to afford.
Yes. That was never the idea. If the target would have been to come up with a design at a certain cost limit considered as "affordable for everyone" (say $100), this would have prevented achieving many of the other design targets, and the result would have been VERY different.

Reactions: 1 users
Question on ordering of capacitors and inductors to ground in the crossover:

Does order matter? L -> Cap -> ground vs Cap -> L -> ground.

It would be convenient for board layout to change a couple of them.

Thanks
I am not quite sure I understand your question. Can you make a quick drawing or show photos of your L/C/GND arrangement in question? Also, which board are you referring to?

The ones from the midrange (L-M3 -> C-M2 -> GND and L-M4 -> C-M3 -> GND).

Wanting to swap to C-M2 -> L-M3 -> GND and C-M3 -> L-M4 -> GND

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 12.30.49 PM.png

Ah, ok, yes, you can swap the positions of C-M2/L-M3 and C-M3/L-M4. You might also consider moving the large foil inductor from the top right in your photo to the top left (and move the purple and blue caps from top left to top right). This would increase the distance to the other inductors a bit, which is always good to reduce cross-coupling.

Looking forward to your next steps!

Reactions: 1 user