SB Acoustics Satori MTM build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Bill! It was a lot of work, but a very rewarding project. I am totally hooked on DIY speakers.

schcoaster,
I think you are going to love these drivers as they are very similar to my Satori 7.5" and beryllium tweeters. I listened to them for the first time las night and they are great. Still need burn-in time but the bass was very deep with a calculated F3 of 41hz. You could probably enjoy these without a subwoofer.

The tweeters have very good imaging. When I close my eyes, it sounds like the singer is right in front of me even though my speakers are about 9 feet apart. There is no harshness on the ears, very smooth.

Just curious, schcoaster, do you plan to use a subwoofer with these? I have a sub, but so far, I've been listening without it.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello,
I just happened to finish my second speaker build last night at midnight using the Satori 7.5" and the beryllium tweeter. Looks like the Satori caught your attention too. Haven't had time to listen much, didn't want to wake the kids last night, but I'll let you know what I think of the sound.

My design is a 2-way, 28 liter box using 1.5" thick MDF with bamboo veneer, 2" port. I actually considered an MTM design like yours but chose my 2-way design with a sub for simplicity and cost reduction. Good luck with your build, looking forward to hearing about it. Here is a picture of my design.
Shared album - Google Photos

Thanks for your encouragement Curt. Enjoy the music. The pictures make those cabinets look quite big. I think I have settled on making cabinets just as big as the driver enclosure rather than towers as per my original posts - as you say, there is a greater possible versatility with the addition of subs to supplement the bottom end.

Spent part of the day experiencing proper high end for the first time - was invited to visit a gentleman who has a listening room at his office - almost an anechoic chamber with some cool wooden wall treatments and where the aircon is water cooled panels so there is no air blowing in, made my ears feel funny. Neodio Origine S2 Cd/Dac, with Absolare preamp to Absolare SET mono blocks, into Voxativ Schimmel Piano Ampeggios. My first experience with full range as well. Have to admit to being a bit underwhelmed - but can now understand better why I see pictures of peoples' setups where they have multiple speakers (or amps even) because while these Voxativs were quite stunning on midrange - eg. vocals, most everything else was disappointing for me.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Just curious, schcoaster, do you plan to use a subwoofer with these? I have a sub, but so far, I've been listening without it.

I don't currently have any subs. So the plan is that these will do me without. But not having a sub just means an excuse for another project down the line doesn't it!! I am quite interested now in the possibilities presented in the Jeff Bagby (Kairos/Continuim 3way) recommendation in one of the earlier posts.

I don't currently have any subs. So the plan is that these will do me without. But not having a sub just means an excuse for another project down the line doesn't it!! I am quite interested now in the possibilities presented in the Jeff Bagby (Kairos/Continuim 3way) recommendation in one of the earlier posts.

Yes, if your like me, you will get hooked on DIY speakers and want to do additional projects like a sub. I have a 15" Rythmic sub that I like but I may sell it and make my own just for fun.

You may not need it however, since your design should go down to the high 30hz to low 40hz.

I'll research the 3-way design from Jeff B. I'd like to meet him someday since we both live in Indiana, USA.

Bevels ... A cut above the ordinary.

Attachments

• Beveled Edges.jpg
    Beveled Edges.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 851
Joined 2016
Paid Member
any update?

Thanks for your interest Sooty.

I'm picking up the drivers tomorrow evening!

Have settled on just the driver enclosure (not tower) but with changed external dimensions to accommodate altered geometries inside i.e. some non parallel sides.

But I'm going to be pretty busy over the next 3-4 weeks to progress much. The consolation on that is having just moving overseas our freight landed late last week so hope that sometime next week it will have cleared customs and be with us at home. Have been without the smell of solder or music without headphones for close on 3 months and have noticed a deterioration in my state of mind :) just prior to packing I "finished" (apart from enclosures) or rather got to a point where I could have music and take a breather, some other projects so they have not had much listening time.

Being in a new place will also take a bit of research to find CNC and materials. But have made some good contacts.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Southcoaster. I'm in Jakarta. Let me know if you need help with finding material. Drop me a PM.

Afaik SB authorized dealer for Jakarta is Audiotech in Kemayoran.

There'll be SB competition in November in Peninsula Hotel.

Cheers,

Hey Kecap

Thanks for your message. SB dealers not easy to come by in Indonesia! Hwely only one listed on www. I’ll look Audiotech up.

Is the Nov date the high-end show? No way I’m gonna be done in 4 weeks! Nice thought though. Maybe next time. I plan to attend anyway.

Would appreciate advice hunting down local CNC that can supply in birch ply if possible otherwise would try marine ply or MDf as last resort. Think I’ve got my design nearly nailed down ready to commission cutting service.

I’m a cd guy, crazy that quality vinyl is easier to come by in Jakarta than cds. I’m not into downloads either, like to have the physical article. Where to buy? BlockM?

Cheers

Hey Kecap

Thanks for your message. SB dealers not easy to come by in Indonesia! Hwely only one listed on www. I’ll look Audiotech up.

Is the Nov date the high-end show? No way I’m gonna be done in 4 weeks! Nice thought though. Maybe next time. I plan to attend anyway.

Would appreciate advice hunting down local CNC that can supply in birch ply if possible otherwise would try marine ply or MDf as last resort. Think I’ve got my design nearly nailed down ready to commission cutting service.

I’m a cd guy, crazy that quality vinyl is easier to come by in Jakarta than cds. I’m not into downloads either, like to have the physical article. Where to buy? BlockM?

Cheers

David Audiotech mobile is +62 812 5222255. His shop is at Mega Glodok Kemayoran.

Other shop that might interest you:

Mr. Malion who is Jantzen authorized shop, also sell Vifa, Visaton and other drivers, audio caps, at DIY Hi-End Audio
Last time I checked with him, his Jantzen inductor stock is dwindling due to difficulty in importing them, so perhaps better idea to get XO parts from hificollective UK.

Featured Products | TokoSpeaker, Toko Speaker, Car Audio, Audio Mobil, Speaker, Tweeter, Midrange, Subwoofer, Capacitor, Resistor, Inductor, Audio for speaker parts
TokoKomponen.com for amplifier parts

SBA competition is on 9-12 Nov, there'll be participant from other city. To level the playing field SBA cap the XOver budget to $25 per speaker. If you're interested I can check out the registration.

I assume birch ply is some kind of plywood, we don't have birch ply here but there's plenty of hardwood ply, from D grade up to A+ cosmetic grade like for Yamaha guitar. MDF and blockteak is widely available but blockteak is not suitable for speaker. There's also plenty of solid wood plank, mainly tropical hardwood.

Perhaps you can use MDF and covered with Meranti (a kind of local hardwood) plywood, at the front or side, then cover the front with batik and side finished with lacquer.

I don't know any woodwork shop that has CNC router, usually they'll use handheld router or cut speaker hole with holesaw. I know a guy who did all the cabinet in my home, he's neat. Usually he'll calculate all the material and labour cost, if agreed then he'll proceed with project.

As for CD, most of the large CD shop has closed down, notably Aquarius. You can try in Blok M or Sabang area. I'll let you know if I find some reference. Alternative is Mangga Dua area, there're audio shops that carry audiophile CD but range is limited.

I don't do vinyl but you can have a look in Aksara in Kemang area, a bookshop but has a section for vinyl. Also I heard there's vinyl shop in Santa area but not sure.

Shops in Mangga Dua has sorts of interconnect & speaker cables like QED, Tara, etc etc.

Let me know if you need soldering tools, supply, and hand tools. I know good shop in Lindeteves (oldtown) area.

PM you my mobile number, you can text me via Whatsapp. Cheers.

MTM's and cutting speaker holes, my two favorite topics :D

Stcoaster listen to the folks here, you really won't like MTM's is you plan on standing and/or walking around.
I have a DIY MTM build that I listen to every day, the magic starts when you sink into a big chair and get into the horizontal sweet spot.
Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer - Wikipedia

I have plans for the TMM version the uses the same speakers and have one built, next on my list is cone that one for a matching pair.

Speaker cutouts, I've brought this ploy up many times, but don't know if anyone else uses wing cutters for cutting holes. They are easy, exact and fun to use. The size limit on them is about 7" mid woofers (can go up to 8" woofers if necessary)
Baffle Routing

FYI Parts Express has speakers cabinets pre-made/pre-finished - its a great deal.
Hi-Fi Speaker Cabinets in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 288

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.