SB Acoustics Satori MTM build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
This thread to document a personal speaker build project. So please check back over the next 3-6months. It will be my first set of speakers.

I look forward to all the helpful comments that may be forthcoming.

I have purchased the drivers and xover to build the Martin J King MTM using the SB Acoustics Satori drivers. See his white paper at quarterwave.com.

Per channel these speakers use

2 X MW16P-8
1 X TW29 << I have stumped for the Beryllium version of the tweeter.

Cost = 6 drivers + xover (Hovland 400v caps) in the region of US$1400

References

SB Acoustics
Martin J King white paper
Troels Gravesen SBA-16-MTM

Rationale

I have looked long and hard and various speaker styles and proven projects - full range, 3-way, econowave. I settled on this project for the following reasons

1) I do not have the kit or knowledge to design a speaker from scratch - I need a proven design; one that, obviously, has a BOM that I can source easily from my location

2) I have read and heard good things about these drivers and as I am recently moved to Indonesia I thought it would be a good project to represent the country and a good momento of our time here once we depart

3) I have chosen the MJ King version over the Troels Gravesen version because the xover is fully documented, the values are not proprietary, is available as a kit from the supplier who is providing the drivers. And it was suggested to me that the Gravesen version is better suited to accommodation with suspended wood floors rather than the cement box that I will inhabit over the next couple of years.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Aside from choosing a project of course, my first dilemma is the design of the cabinet.

I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of a tower but then I have chosen a design that lends itself to that format!! I like big boxes.

Attached you will see some sketchup models for MK1.

I call them mini towers as they will only be 1020mm (plus feet) which does not put the tweeter very high and so this is a concern for me. However, at just over 1m tall the waf will be considerably more in their favour.

This is not a final design as `I am sure more choices will present themselves.

Do I ditch the extension below the speaker enclosure that serves as a proxy stand and just use stands? But then I will have external xover

In the extension I have a place for the xover and a bag or 2 of sand to act as mass/ballast.

I could add length to the bottom part of the cabinet to bring the tweeter higher.

To continue the Indonesia theme I plan to cover the baffle with a batik - glued to the surface. With a long front face there will be more batik to display. I saw these Fostex speakers a while ago and really liked the aesthetic - thought I'd try similar

Attachments

• front.png
    front.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,604
  • rear.png
    rear.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,612
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Clone and tailor Rinjani for yourself!
I've made MTM before and liked them, but today I would do a TMM 2.5 way (or more woofers), even if just to make the overall profile lower.
Slim towers can be disguised to taste, as you've noticed.
Put the tweeter in a separate baffle from the woofers, so you can offset it to your liking.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Clone and tailor Rinjani for yourself!
I've made MTM before and liked them, but today I would do a TMM 2.5 way (or more woofers), even if just to make the overall profile lower.
Slim towers can be disguised to taste, as you've noticed.
Put the tweeter in a separate baffle from the woofers, so you can offset it to your liking.

Don't like the appearance of Rinjani. But I see TMM makes it easier to get the tweeter some height without blowing up the total height of the box.

And all through this decision process gnawing away in the back of my head is the poor experience I have had with MTM configuration in the past - they were rubbish speakers but I think the MTM config had something to do with their poor sound.

Guy tells you its his first speaker build and y'all suggest Wilson Watt Puppy clones :)

Ha ha, sorry about that! You could put together a flat simple baffle also, with probably minor mods to the filter, but you will get to that when the right time comes. This is my vision of a home made Dynaudio Confidence 5, only without the compound principle and much better low frequency output comparing to Confidence 5. Original design, when I first saw it, hit me like a love at first sight.

Attachments

• Lojzek's best speakers.jpg
    Lojzek's best speakers.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,030
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Ha ha, sorry about that! You could put together a flat simple baffle also, with probably minor mods to the filter, but you will get to that when the right time comes. This is my vision of a home made Dynaudio Confidence 5, only without the compound principle and much better low frequency output comparing to Confidence 5. Original design, when I first saw it, hit me like a love at first sight.

Nice looking speaker. Doesn't having the tweeter on the bottom like that low run in the face of the "tweeter at ear height" rule?

Nice looking speaker. Doesn't having the tweeter on the bottom like that low run in the face of the "tweeter at ear height" rule?

Thanks, I don't think the up-side down arrangement goes against "tweeter at ear height" rule. I can listen to these at fairly close distance and when I change listening height the performance remains stable. Human brains is so much more complex than simple microphone measurement. According to mic, the minute one goes off-axis vertically, the null between midrange and tw starts to appear, yet in reality you don't hear nothing as offensive as this hole might seem.

Hello,
I just happened to finish my second speaker build last night at midnight using the Satori 7.5" and the beryllium tweeter. Looks like the Satori caught your attention too. Haven't had time to listen much, didn't want to wake the kids last night, but I'll let you know what I think of the sound.

My design is a 2-way, 28 liter box using 1.5" thick MDF with bamboo veneer, 2" port. I actually considered an MTM design like yours but chose my 2-way design with a sub for simplicity and cost reduction. Good luck with your build, looking forward to hearing about it. Here is a picture of my design.
Shared album - Google Photos

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.