Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

18 Sound - ND3ST Compression Driver
18 Sound - ND3ST Compression Driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2016, 12:50 AM   #1
ErnieM is online now ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 18 Sound - ND3ST Compression Driver

This driver was featured in Voice Coil this month. One of the best compression drivers I've seen measured and the best 3" diaphram driver meaurements I've seen. Less than .5% THD in the 1-10k test band @ 104db/1m. Clean waterfall plots all the way through the upper octave. Extension out to 20k. 112db sensitivity.

I'd like to see higher spl measurements but it's better than anything else measured in the last 6 years I've seen in Voice Coil. It looks like it might be a real winner for very low compromise high efficiency systems.

http://www.18sound.it/Products/Artic...eid/5008/nd3st

Last edited by ErnieM; 20th December 2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11th January 2017, 05:27 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Doesn't look like it has distribution yet- I'd like to see what pricing is like, presumably $300/per or more.
Old 11th January 2017, 07:52 PM   #3
ErnieM is online now ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

The 4" version is $592 at loudspeakers plus. Probably pricey but worth it for what it's capable of. This will be in my next system.
Old 12th January 2017, 03:14 AM   #4
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

If anyone wants to read the Voice Coil review, you can do that for free by selecting the Google 'cache' of the article. (The regular link will ask you to subscribe.)
Old 12th January 2017, 03:51 AM   #5
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

18Sound has a Titanium Nitride deposition process which they use on high end compression drivers:

NSD4015N 4" diaphragm 1.5" exit,
NSD1480N 3" diaphragm 1.4" exit,
NSD1424BTN 2.4" diameter 1.4" exit,
NSD1095N 1.75" diameter 1" exit.

I wonder why 18Sound did not combine their TiN process with the new motor and suspension described on this ND3ST.

The SPL bumps on the ND3ST measurements would suggest a need to listen to the ND3ST on a horn, or wait for a trusted reviewer to perform listening plus measurement tests.
======
With a crossover of 1.6Khz or higher mounted on medium depth horns, the TiN diaphragm NSD1095N gets exceptional reviews.

I use the Faital HF108 on a PVR WG35-25 because the Keytone Plastic diaphragm is smooth from 1.1kHz to 18kHz. I suspect this trades less "detail" than a NSD1095N for wider usable BW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diaphragm Materials.jpg (159.0 KB, 775 views)
Old 12th January 2017, 07:41 AM   #6
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

I haven't listened to this combo yet (execpt plugging it into the headphone output of a small radio with a series cap) but I have made an informal measurement without any EQing of a Faital HF10AK (also Ketone polymer) on an Eighteensound XT1086:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post4607060

This looks quite promising as well, doesn't it ?

Here you will find some mesurements of the driver on a small Faital horn including distortion measurements @ 105 dB SPL (from the German DIY mag Klang & Ton):

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/gb-en/.../id/-802491784

OTOH the ND3ST does indeed look very promising from the VC measurements but I guess it will not be available below $ 400. But all the Eighteensound drivers that I was holding in my hand had an exceptional build quality and a big "must have factor" so far.

Regards

Charles

Edit:
For those who are interested in measurements of the 18sound NSD1095n on an XT1086 horn - mentioned by LineSource - you will find a review in this issue of VC magazine:

http://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Arc...010_12_Dec.pdf

The response is exceptionally smooth up to 15 kHz. Higher up it gets a little "nervous". Series consistency seems to be very good as well. What I don't like that much is the distortion performance but I am not quite sure whether some of it comes from the nearfield measurement. The SPL is at the upper end of the usable range for the microphone used.

Last edited by phase_accurate; 12th January 2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12th January 2017, 09:19 AM   #7
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
I wonder why 18Sound did not combine their TiN process with the new motor and suspension described on this ND3ST.
I wonder, too (it looks like thers is breakup in the top octave). Hopefully they will do a TiN or a Be version in the future.
Interestingly the traditional PA crowd often don't prefer the cleaner breakup drivers because they are so used to the Ti breakup in 3" and 4" models. I remember the first user reviews of the TiN models all complained about "lack of air and top end transparency"...
Old 12th January 2017, 09:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi KSTR

Do or did you use any of the TiN drivers ? If so, which one and on which horn or waveguide ?

Regards

Charles
Old 13th January 2017, 12:10 AM   #9
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Charles,

NSD1480N on a XT1464 flanked by two 12MB700, PA/disco top that I helped design for a friend. We have not been fully happy with the ND1480A that had been selected initially (too much 'zing'), and the upgrade to the NSD cured that quite a bit.
Old 13th January 2017, 09:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK, I see. Thanks
Would you recommend 1.4" TiN drivers for power HiFi purposes ? I wonder if a 1.4" TiN driver would be an improvement over my 1" Ketone polymer one. A slight disadvantage of the 1.4" drivers is the fact that I would have to use a horn with diffraction in order to achieve a horizontal directivity as wide as the XT1086 /1" driver combo.

Regards

Charles

18 Sound - ND3ST Compression DriverHide this!Advertise here!