NOLA speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
adason, well with my 4 x 4" (5" frame) focused array, yes 1 spot.
If you stood up you could get dizzy because it sounded like you instantly got a head cold. If still trying to figure that one out.

With 9 x 4" focused array, couch wide listening at 8'.
Maybe 1' of vertical sweet spot.
Sit stand test was not atrocious, and further back stand was fine, surprisingly so.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
May be mid array with just one tweeter?
I have 200 aura 3" full range drivers...
Next project?

Attachments

• linearray.jpg
    linearray.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 441
  • jcndKomuro.jpg
    jcndKomuro.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 454
My 9 array was way more room filling in and out of sweet spot.

Both had their merits and flaws, but I understand the frustration when a speaker fails the sit/stand test.

I remember a review of stereo lab 400hz horn (tractrix, round). One guy loved it till he stood up, went back to 90 x 40 horns.

Yea, the 3 tweet thing was a hit in early thx setups (b&w I remember).
But some have loved the triple tweet in the tekton pendragon, 3 small dimple dome tweets (sb acoustics) with dual 10", either mtttm or tttmm.

For us anal listeners, I don't know.

Attachments

• 4 x 4inch bamboo.jpg
    4 x 4inch bamboo.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 432
  • greyarray2.jpg
    greyarray2.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, there are many ways to skin the cat...sorry, bad pun. Nice kitty btw. Very peaceful.

I have three aquariums, no cats. My girlfriend has three cats.

Anyway, I am not trying to be anal about anything, but keep open mind. I used to be lowther fullrange guy, but grew out of it. I see and hear lots of flaws in big fullrange drivers so I moved on. I was perhaps first to use lowthers on open baffle, mainly out of laziness to build complicated cabinets. With woofer below it sounded great.

There are people here anal about fullrange drivers, blind to science and common sense, but I am ok with it. Its a personal preference.
Some people would not listen to anything but electrostats…
Some only to horns, and are ready to fight with everybody else.

There are people anal about transistors and only worship tubes, there are class a only guys, belittling class ab, and so on.

I keep open mind, and I keep building even I run out of the rooms. Its like with tennis players. They have many tennis racquets.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.