NOLA speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was unfortunately too long ago to remember specifics... but LR4 comes to mind for some reason, is there not a spec sheet somewhere to see that kind of info? I remember there being something slightly unusual about the way the tweeters were wired but can't quite recall what it was. I do remember the wiring looked like it was done with lengths of welding rods.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This thread was active long time ago, I just want to update, what happened in the mean time...I finished Nola like speakers, with four mids on open baffle with 4th order LR passive low pass at 3kHz, 2nd order high pass LR for planar tweeter.
Both tweeter and midrange drivers are top notch quality. Sound is amazing.
I use dsp to split the signal at 150 Hz and biamp the Nola like with chip amp, and 2x15" woofers with 100watts ss amp.
Its been in my main system for a while, and perhaps sound even more coherent then my 4-way dipole speakers.
Which gave the opportunity to update upper midrange in 4-way dipole, but that is another story.

This thread was active long time ago, I just want to update, what happened in the mean time...I finished Nola like speakers, with four mids on open baffle with 4th order LR passive low pass at 3kHz, 2nd order high pass LR for planar tweeter.
Both tweeter and midrange drivers are top notch quality. Sound is amazing.
I use dsp to split the signal at 150 Hz and biamp the Nola like with chip amp, and 2x15" woofers with 100watts ss amp.
Its been in my main system for a while, and perhaps sound even more coherent then my 4-way dipole speakers.
Which gave the opportunity to update upper midrange in 4-way dipole, but that is another story.

VERY cool build... thanks for posting.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
here is one...hard to take pics against light...

Attachments

• sys1.jpg
    sys1.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 436
I'm generally a big fan of open baffle speakers, and I built a pair (see photos), but, and I'm not sure I fully understand this, but they really need to be positioned at least 3 feet from any walls to show their true potential. Less than 3 feet creates some kind of psycho-acoustic effect that doesn't really work. I built mine when I had a house with a bigger living room. Now I'm in an apartment that is only barely big enough, so I'll be selling my OB's and going with some small tri-amp'd bookshelves I made. The OB's do from 100HZ on up. Bass is handled by two 12 inch Peerless XXLS woofs in sealed actively EQ'd cubes. I may have reached that age (61) where simple is better. Less stuff...
Atlantis front view wb.jpg

Atlantis rear side view wb.jpg

Atlantis rear tweeter view wb.jpg

Atlantis side view wb.jpg

Atlantis straight rear view wb.jpg

AR4XC wb.jpg

woof 08 wb.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ewollowe, that is main room, and probably best for now
There are three more rooms with hifi i have, constantly ewollwing (haha pun intended) and even my bedroom has three systems in it...
My speaker lab has most evolving stuff for now, and some times just fun, sometimes seriously good sounding stuff.
Right now my speaker lab is testing Dartzeel amplifiers with AC130F1/Fountech ribbon series bookshelf and 2x15" sub, which already sounds way too good to be in small room. I bet Dartzeel will make it up the ladder.
Lab room has kt88 se amps powering open baffle coaxials with 98dB sensitivity and that special se class A high efficiency combo magic...lots of options

I guess my next step will be 4way digital crossover, so i can infinitely play with crossover frequencies, slopes, levels, delays and so on...
Peace, i am out.

Every time I visit audio show, like Rocky Mountain...or Capital audio fest, I always like the sound of NOLA speakers. Formerly ALON.

Mr. Marchisotto, from Dahlquist fame, is a veteran when it comes to the speaker design. He has been using open baffle midranges for decades now. I do, and many other here, sure like open baffle midrange speakers.

Question: does any of you have any specific knowledge about any of these speakers? Crossovers?

I share your passion for Nola speakers I think it's the biggest compromise against a full range planar like a Apogee. I actually ended building something similar using a sb acoustics 12" sealed bass and 4 peerless tc9fd18-08 open baffle and a ribbon.

Attachments

• IMG_20181224_192433.jpg
    IMG_20181224_192433.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 438
I personaly am not interested in Brio, as I consider it computer system, even it can sound decent, it has limitations. Those interested in cardioid type radiation will enjoy it as small system for computer or office.

But there is another interesting speaker set, much more highend, which you guys may enjoy to disect!

Well, none of them were as sharp and real as Alon II, III and IV.

I personaly am not interested in Brio, as I consider it computer system, even it can sound decent, it has limitations. Those interested in cardioid type radiation will enjoy it as small system for computer or office.

But there is another interesting speaker set, much more highend, which you guys may enjoy to disect!

581980d1480083617t-nola-speakers-proteus-comp1-jpg

He's really a great designer. I don't think I've heard a bad speaker from him.

The thing I like about the Trio is that he squeezes great sound of some very pedestrian equipment. Total cost of the parts is well under $500. It's four Tymphany woofers ($12 each) a parts express woofer ($100) , a parts express plate amp ($100) and some wood ($100)

Add in the labor and it's a very affordable and unique / great sounding project. Behringer is probably still the HiFi king in the range of $500 but the Trio is very competitive.

581980d1480083617t-nola-speakers-proteus-comp1-jpg

He's really a great designer. I don't think I've heard a bad speaker from him.

The thing I like about the Trio is that he squeezes great sound of some very pedestrian equipment. Total cost of the parts is well under $500. It's four Tymphany woofers ($12 each) a parts express woofer ($100) , a parts express plate amp ($100) and some wood ($100)

Add in the labor and it's a very affordable and unique / great sounding project. Behringer is probably still the HiFi king in the range of $500 but the Trio is very competitive.

I am using those same drivers he is using in the Trio those peerless drivers are mind blowing for usd12 is an absolute joke. Iv heard drivers costing 20 times the price and they still not as natural and flat. All I have in the xo is a baffle step which consists of a 1mh coil and 22ohm resistor across, a 100uf cap, a 0.2mh coil to roll off at 6khz where I xo to my ribbon. Iv owned a number planar speakers namely, Maggie's, apogee, s and eminent technology and these boys can certainly give you that beautiful natural open live sound.

here is one...hard to take pics against light...

Adason,

Glad this thread revived. A while back I was inquiring about midrange array, thinking exactly Nola, and I was sort of steered away by comments suggesting issues in sound as you move horizontally in front of the speakers. Meaning in the xo region in the tweeter to midrange xo from their mutual interference. How has been your experience with this?

My tweeter is also large: Beyma TPL-150H, and I was considering also 4x 4" drivers per side looking much like you did. I figured 4x4" have the same surface as a 8" midrange. xo active and digital at 2kHz, so can be steep.

cheers

Adason,

Glad this thread revived. A while back I was inquiring about midrange array, thinking exactly Nola, and I was sort of steered away by comments suggesting issues in sound as you move horizontally in front of the speakers. Meaning in the xo region in the tweeter to midrange xo from their mutual interference. How has been your experience with this?

My tweeter is also large: Beyma TPL-150H, and I was considering also 4x 4" drivers per side looking much like you did. I figured 4x4" have the same surface as a 8" midrange. xo active and digital at 2kHz, so can be steep.

cheers

I haven't really noticed but I must admit I am not really sliding horizontally when I'm. Listening lol. Look there ar e many compromises but what I can tell you is the peerless is a superb driver that can basically run full range as at times I disconnected the ribbon. The Beyma is a well respected ribbon that's for sure but don't underestimate the peerless it can run very high. I am. Using a simple first order xo on all drivers my only challenge was trying to find the best place to xo the ribbon. I think active would be first prize as it wont take long to dial them in. I would like to build on this design and do at least 12 of the peerless per side. There is a company that apply a similar science but monopole namely scaena they use a similar peerless driver and
Run it from 110hz to 5khz and then to a ribbon.

Orca Design, Bohmer Audio, Scaena, Silversmith: CES 2015 - Audio Federation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.