Silver Flute 6.5 8ohm/Discovery D2606

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Posting this for a archival record.

This affordable build went through many changes in the last year or so and this combination of SF 6.5" 8ohm and Discovery D2606 is now my favorite speaker.

Also just received a MiniDSP USB mic (Easy Button :D), which took just a few minutes to set up. This is the 1st result, inside family room; will move outside for more testing when the weather clears up.

The SF does take a long time to break in, also highly recommend removing the dust cap and making a phase plug. There's a vent hole in the magnet so easy attachment.

A big shout out to Dissi for the XO design!

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-discovery-d2606/9220-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-08-6-1/2-wool-cone/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...rs/minidsp-umik-1-usb-measurement-microphone/

[red and blue lines are other DIY projects]

Attachments

• DSCN2542.JPG
    DSCN2542.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 577
  • SF5.JPG
    SF5.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 571
  • SF4.jpg
    SF4.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 653
  • SF.jpg
    SF.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 569
  • DSCN2389.JPG
    DSCN2389.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
These are still hitting a home run here :D
Close to a budget build: 2 SF's and ScanSpeak tweeter about $100.

Some updates:
Lowered the tweeter resistor to 2.7 and removed some stuffing.
The box are now full, but not packed. Walls are felted btw.
Ordered new air-core coils for the woofers (low dcr)

As mentioned in another thread, adding a wood phase plug to a SF is not hard and well worth the trouble.

Attachments

• center.JPG
    center.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 225
  • SF MTM Oct15.jpg
    SF MTM Oct15.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 206
Nice little cameo there, ODougbo. The old elliptical filter notch at 4.5kHz, eh? :)

This would be 2mH series, 2R 0.2mH 6uF shunt on a single bass driver.

I'm not surprised that a 10R input resistor on the tweet was too much attenuation on a loud parallel MTM. FWIW, 10uF looks rather larger than I'd expect too for what, 2.5kHz crossover? Probably boosts the midrange at crossover, which is no bad thing.

I've been trying smaller bafflestep coils with this sort of thing lately. Just makes the sound livelier, and in practise sitting a speaker on a cabinet boosts the bass anyway. Say, 0.68mH in your case.

Thanks for sharing. You are the doyenne (doyen?) of silver flutes! :cool:

Last edited:
Well just thinking about this xo from an old thread - who says there's no ESP?
There are a few of the MTM boxes here (unused), also a pair of woofers, 1 tweeter and plenty of parts.
I'll get one together and run separate wires out the back for testing.

Thanks for the info on a single build, which is tempting but I think a pair of the SF's is the way to go. A TMM with a slightly better tweeter might be interesting.
Whats cool about them is that they work in tiny 12L 13L enclosures.

SS7.jpg

This affordable build went through many changes in the last year or so

Yes, IIRC originally there where four slot ports located on the left and right of the woofers and the Silver Flutes still had their dust caps. :D

Time for an update from my part as well even though I don't know the exact cabinet dimensions nor the final tuning frequency, and least of all the frequency response of the tuned woofers.

Anyway, the crossover frequency is 2 kHz, sensitivity around 89 dB and the two woofers do provide plenty of dynamic headroom (calculated maximum SPL is 110 dB). The speaker plays down to 50 Hz and the impedance never drops below 4 ohm. The tweeter is the Scan Speak version of the old Vifa classic D27TG-35-06. All in all a nice and decent MTM speaker as far as I can tell. :)

Attachments

• SimulationODougboMTM.jpg
    SimulationODougboMTM.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 146
  • CrossoverODougboMTM.jpg
    CrossoverODougboMTM.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 155
Steve here's the results from post #4 version II with the .5 coil & 22R option.

It appears to work better than 1st attempt with the .3 coil, 7.5R and cap. It also just sounds better, smooth/natural. Notice how the inherent peak at 11,000hz has flattened out.

Oct 12 .jpg

Last edited:
The SB 29 is nice, MS has dropped the price a few bucks on them too :D
I put one in the MTM box just to see if there was a diffraction issue with the baffle. They are probably better than the D2606, but not unhappy with them either.

Never going to believing this, my eyes were playing ticks on me and used a 15uf instead of .15 lol. Wish you could have heard the powerful deep bass! But after a few minutes started checking around and saw the mistake.
These woofers continue to amaze me.

Now corrected - results with 2 - 8ohm woofers &
1 - ScanSpeak tweeter:

Oct 13th 01.jpg

SS~SF 02.jpg

Steve, how do you like them?
Just kidding :p I know "spit and sizzle" (from an old thread).

I guess they do, but nothing to compare them to here. Only Dayton, Morels, ScanSpeak and SB's (x2).
What would be your choice for this build?

The xo works great, Thank You!! :cheers: The main event now is the bass, it jumped up about 4db - cool 23" high speakers man!! Easy to sling under the arm and they punch like a cross between DJ and home speakers.

Still waiting on a shipment of fractional caps (using .2 now), more to come.

Edit - almost forgot, the D2606 is 6ohm, is the cap large enough?

Last edited:
Hummm don't know what to think now. As mentioned the bass is rich and powerful and never heard them sound like that before. But is the mid down too far? Is the tweeter working hard enough?
Is there an easy adjustment by changing the series cap and adjacent series resistor, or will changing these values tilt other aspects of the design?

Still considering what to do here to bring up the middle a bit.
Went through old files and found 4 xo designs.
(one uses a single 8")
Maybe mix and measure :confused:

View attachment 509807

In general you just make the bafflestep coil smaller and adjust everything capacitative up. It makes for a crisp sound and projection and clarity in the midrange. I don't like speakers that thump on bass. And anyway, bigger bass excursion increases distortion.

Room gain is huge below 300 Hz IMO which can overcome a seeming modelled dip on bass. I think people overdo bass. Put the speaker near a wall, if not built into it, and it sounds bassier anyway. OK dips and peaks, but you get used to them. I treasure a good vocal and a tight bass, not a thumping or booming one that annoys the neighbours. :D

And, yeah, I think an 8" two way gives a very balanced sound in ample rooms. But I could probably live with a 5" bass in a tiny bedroom. For sure, huge speakers in tiny rooms are a disaster. You then need stands and a close listening (nearfield) position just to reduce the boominess by getting them away from the wall and floor.

Last edited:
Steve,

Thank you. That makes sense to decrease the large inductor and increase the cap size at the same time. I'll use clip leads this time.

The bass is remarkable tight now, as is, that's why I really didn't want to mess with the woofer side.

Referring to the 8" design, might go back to that project someday and see if there is a way to increase the bass.

Still thinking 2 of these 6.5" (8ohm) in a d-apolito is one of the best deals out there :D

Hi Folks,
Just had to try some combinations from post 14.
After several attempts this is best so far.
The middle looks great but also the tweeter has less rise above 4k.

Attachments

• 15mh and 68uf.png
    15mh and 68uf.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Oct24 01.jpg
    Oct24 01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.