Silver Flute 6.5 8ohm/Discovery D2606

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now trying this combination, which is working well also.
Mic response test is mostly level.
That's $20 worth of parts on a $45 tweeter - btw.

Forgot how much wool to use so started light, 3oz per woofer, that's a bit on the light side, but can hear what the woofer is doing. There is some overhang in the low bass without the sub xo (set at 120hz now); and/or the active xo set at 2,500hz (no passive) works nicely too.

Curious if bigger boxes tuned lower would tame that upper bass, maybe move port to back of the box?

Gemme Audio Tanto Review

Attachments

• Oct 27th.jpg
    Oct 27th.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 213
I'm thinking yes, I'm back within +- 5db, xo-ed over at 2,000.

Actually There was a breakup every now and then, which is gone now and they sound silky smooth. Could have been have been one or both of these things I guess:

* Replaced the $9-1.0mh coils with 14 awg air-core.
* Lowered cap size from 10uf to 8.2uf and raised level.

Oct 27th.jpg

how's the build going ?

I'm thinking 6.5" shielded 8ohms (that I have) with morel cat378.

my buddy who made 18 mtm's for a bowling alley, 2 x 6.5" to older horn loaded soft dome (vifa h26tg35).
Said the 3.5khz crossover point measured beautiful, but sounded bad.
He lowered it to 2khz and said it sounded much better (12db on woof, 18db tweet, acoustic 24db both ways and time aligned).

I bet the Morels would work nicely. Might want to consider leaving a little extra material around the tweeter in case not and want to change to 4-1/8".
Highly recommend following the woofer circuit on post #22. It works beautifully, also had better results with 1.0mh air core inductors.

Now your sketch, 8" wide baffle? Seams a little narrow.
Also the box is right at 24liters volume, would add for woofers/vent/bracing.

Where do you plan to tune it?

Last edited:
sealed.
cross to sub for theater use (and music).
8" wide box is narrow, but fits into 1 : 1.618 ratios nicely.
I suppose it can be 13" wide x 21" tall x 8" deep.

then again, crossing at 2khz works well for an 8" driver also.
4ohm and 8" SF available currently.
24db @ 2khz worked great with my 4ohm.

Maybe run a box for an 8" with a box for the tweet and see if it has to slide further back with a 6db or 24db crossover. I bet it does.

Ah, so many things to try...................

Sealed? - Sounds like a done deal, but one of the SF attributes is the vented/sealed sound in a vented box. I've been thinking about a slightly larger box, tuned to 50hz.

You have the 6.5's now right? I think you'll be surprised how well two of them work together in a vented cabinet. However, a pair of small, sealed MTM boxes is really easy, let me know if you want a pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.