Full Range 5 way Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice system . I am doing something similar (with same 110Hz horn) , just with Goto beryllium drivers on higher frequencies . Can you write your final xover frequencies and drivers used ? Thanks .

These are the crossover frequencies but there is also impedance correction, which makes the 6db network to function as intended. Here we go;

dual Tad1601b's in 298lt br boxes - open on bottom to 120 Hz, in a range 90 to 150 Hz ~12 dB (three different settings can be chosen, according to room response)

cf110hz tractrix - supravox 285-2000 modified - 100Hz (effective 150Hz) - 600Hz (effective 500Hz) - 6 dB

cf200hz tractrix - radian 850 - 500Hz - 5000Hz - 6 dB

cf1400 JMLC - radian 475be - 4500Hz - 12000Hz (effective 8000Hz) 6 dB

fostex t500amkII 9000 Hz (effective 7000Hz) 6 dB

and here is how it looks nowadays...

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 667
new room pics and rt60 measurement

Just an update :) I have redesigned the room completely and I am very happy about the results!

I have cnc'ed a binary diffusor for the front wall extending to the sides. Its depth is around 32cm's. Filled with rock wool. Then I have designed the vinyl and cd shelves and covered the moving doors of them with absorbers. There are also six commercial products for some bass trapping, the primacoustic australis corner traps you see on the top sides.

Finally I did not want me and my wife to look at a diffuser, so I put a vertical living moss garden. It is absorptive, irregular and great to look at.

The back of the room which was where the speakers used to reside is now an area where you can still listen to beautiful sounding music and read, converse or just look at the sea :)

ps. I got married, so a redecoration was in my plans and my wife loves the new plan.

Attachments

• IMG_E2490.JPG
    IMG_E2490.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 516
  • kodomopanaroma1.jpg
    kodomopanaroma1.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 513
  • kodomonewroom.JPG
    kodomonewroom.JPG
    683.2 KB · Views: 507
  • kodomort60.jpg
    kodomort60.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 516
I can finally declare I have finished building my speakers :) Well, at least technically, further than this will be all about aesthetics and different trials to learn new things...

The final things I was waiting to do were, putting the granite bases under the bass reflex woofer boxes, spiking the br boxes, and putting the rockwool covered with felt opposite the drivers in them. Now that I finished that, the incredible spacious sound of the system extended down to lowest bass too. I am very very satisfied!

ps. My plans for the next months will be trying a JMLC 270 horn, instead of tractrix 200 horn to hear the difference of representation. I may change the 110hz horn to wood with the help of my Iranian friend Arash which can only better this insanely good response from upperbass horn. I am designing a static frame which is more aesthetically pleasing.

If I do these, and succeed in keeping the sound as good as now or even better, I will have close enough material to build another pair, except for the crossovers and the tweeters. I plan on trying a raal lazy ribbon for that pair and hopefully sell it and finance more diy projects. I was already approached by people to sell them my system but I have told them I am not finished and it is my prototype.

Hi Kodomo,
first of all congratulations with an impressive system and a beautiful room!
I just read through this entire thread and I think its very inspiring.

Did you ever get around to testing the JMLC 270 or any other horn for the mid section? The reason I'm asking is I'm in the same situation where I have to choose between Tractrix 200 and JMLC 270. Wonder if those JMLC horns are worth the extra size..

Best Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.