Can you have sparkling treble but without sibilance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can't sweep aside everything you haven't measured yet as confirmation bias. That's the opposite of science.

The idea that measurements from the 1970s are all that can be heard has not been proven either. That's just bias. Medicine goes through this repeatedly. "We know everything!" "Oh wait, we don't!"

I'm not saying cables are magic and should be used as tone controls. I am saying I have heard consistent differences in capacitors, and therefore I have preferences which are worth a few dollars.

I note that B&W had for a while two identical speakers, the only difference being a high quality Mundorf in one, and a generic film in the other.

My advice though, for lack of data at this time, is to try some inexpensive examples and listen for yourself. If you can't hear a difference, by allll means, buy the cheapest possible.

Last edited:
You can't sweep aside everything you haven't measured yet as confirmation bias. That's the opposite of science.

The idea that measurements from the 1970s are all that can be heard has not been proven either. That's just bias. Medicine goes through this repeatedly. "We know everything!" "Oh wait, we don't!"

I've noticed a couple of dominant 'narratives'. It's not just the science, but the ability to tell it, because people tend to repeat what they've heard.

Things like damping factor, and that more = better. For one thing, it's a misleading name because in many cases, more is actually less. Once a vibrating system goes beyond critically damped, it starts reflecting more energy and becomes LESS damped again, despite the "over-damped" nomenclature.

IMO this issue is common with bending-wave transducers, like dome tweeters, full-range speakers and woofers run beyond break-up, etc. Damping factors that are supposed to help at low frequencies, seem to create harsh resonances at HF.

I was told in another thread that I don't seem to understand feedback systems. Because "phase margin" this or that... WHAT phase margin when a speaker picks up echoes like a microphone, creating a positive feedback loop, which (IMHO) is mischaracterised as a purely mechanical problem like cone break-up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.