Troels' PMS (multilayer assembly) build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now comes the bracing behind the woofer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Second bracing
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1/4 front-parts

Rear-part

Last bracing (3 of them), spacers and the nuts for tightening the woofer sub-assembly

Inside view

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
...2 years later...:D
Sorry.
Lots of work there! What kind of glue are you using? PVA? Not much time before it sets - the bottom rings may be solid by the time you get up much higher. I think I would have used polyurethane glue, it has a longer "open" time.
Nice though :up:

Wrapping the sub-assembly

Preparing to align properly

Tightening

It has taken approx. 20 minutes to finalize this sub-assembly, towards the end we almost got in a hurry as the glue started to harden out - nevertheless no problems whatsoever.

Well, some hours later....:spin:

Playing around with the woofer x-over, it will probably end up fixed to the bracing

4mm bitumen mats for damping the woofer area

View into the labyrinth

Sorry.
Lots of work there! What kind of glue are you using? PVA? Not much time before it sets - the bottom rings may be solid by the time you get up much higher. I think I would have used polyurethane glue, it has a longer "open" time.

Hi,

well actually 5 weeks later... but you read my first post in this topic and know all that.. :spin:

Old-school PVA indeed, quite progressive, but polyurethane would do as well, but needs more mechanical effort to squeeze the excess out. Both would do fine.

Thanks for you comments, will post more soon.

Comes the front baffle:

Some cuts with the saw for the glue, we use neopren glue this time.

Glued front baffle, you can see the glue filling up the gaps.

Tightening the assembly for 24 hrs.

Sorry.

John is right though. PVA glues do not have much open time before it starts to set. Just work as fast as possible :) I would hate to have a joint failure due to not working fast enough. Looking really good!

For the rest I am actually missing some pics, here's what I have:

Mid sub-assembly together with the woofer area

Cutting the bitumen mats

Putting in place

The cut-out in the mat was for the vent as in Troels initial PMS design.

I had planned a special "tool" for the rooter. Using both "half moons" the cabinet rests on (you can see them in the pics of the assembly when the cabinet is horizontal), turning all upside down and using a panel would give the plane surface for the tool on the curved backside of the cabinet.

Having the med in a BR box would probably have lowered distortion a little bit due to lesser coil movement, but after some listening and modding the stuffing is sounds good to me the way it is...

Cables: 2 x 2,5² copper-silver for mid and tweet

The cable for the mid goes trough the upper enclosure and is sealed with neopren glue.

These pimped cables must sound good... :rolleyes: (kind of a special for the cable voodoo master julien32 ... from hcfr)

And again zip ties for holding where they belong

John is right though. PVA glues do not have much open time before it starts to set. Just work as fast as possible :) I would hate to have a joint failure due to not working fast enough. Looking really good!

Actually an argument I can't refute... being 2 for the assembly and no process lasting longer than 20 min the open time of PVA was just enough... If I had been on my own for the assembly polyurethane glue would have been adequate indeed - as I said earlier: both of them will do!

Thanks for your comment, glad you like it..

Assembling the top part

Taking care to properly press all layers

Finally closing the top

The top is not glued yet to allow access and to install bitumen and dampig wool.

Tilting the cabinet and finishing the bottom:

I let the different sub-assemblies rest for about 3 hours each. Using a proper fan and with the help of mother nature, drying is pretty fast in southern France :eek:

Thas means that you can assemble one sub-assembly let's say at 7 PM (having taken care to prepare everything during lunch-break or the day before), tidy up your workbench and prepare the second part while the first is drying and do the second at 10 PM ish.... if you are (over-?) motivated you could do one at 1 AM as well ...:cool:

Strapping again

Once unstrapped on the rests on the table

Lower part glued (sorry no pics :eek:, but nothing really changes) , installing the front baffle.

Couldn't resist doing me some good putting the speakers in...

Inside view

Not what I call "lacking space" for the big baby

Gluing the front baffles

Grooves again for mechanical grip of the glue

Using everything heavy I could find in the workshop for max pressure.. tool box, bolts, etc... the screw clamps are too narrow.. and I was too lazy to make them work..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.