• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mini A Board Run

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
eapavant said:
I would be interested in anything non smd. The smd stuff I would need to see.

I'm going to do a bigger run of the through hole. The smd is mainly for me and any one that would like to try a set. I like the smd ones better, the only difference in the new smd ones is that there are a set of ztx transisters are through hole. On Rev1.0 the smd ones got to hot.

JoshK said:
What's better about the SMD ones? I have no problems with working with this size smd, so I could go either way with mine.

I like the smd ones better because the tollerances on the devices are closer, there is less parts on the board too. I have rev1.0 and love them thus why i am forcing brian to get this done before i leave.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
My current idea for the Mini-A SMD layout would be to keep an almost identical layout to this one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

except for that the transistors will be changed to a TO-92 footprint, as the smaller SMD transistors caused me issues with heat dissipation. The current design is 2"x3" for the amp boards, and is designed only for the Mini-A application. For a larger Aleph amp, the other boards would have to be used. Currently, only non-balanced inputs are accepted for the amp.

For the pcb set, I would like to make a single pcb that breaks into 4 pieces, 2-amp boards and 2 psu boards.

The PSU boards will be similar to these:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

with a bridge rectifier, PSU caps, bypass caps and bleeder resistors. Possibly closer in appearance to this:

but with a pair of caps, instead of the CCRC.

The idea here is the create a simple, easy to build SMD Mini-A design. More complex amps, with the ability to accept balanced inputs, or additional output devices can be created with the other Mini-A boards that were created for the use of through-hole devices.

This version of the Mini-A design will be only intended for <= 20vdc rails and 15watts or less.

Let me know if you have any comments on the proposed design.

--
Brian

The reason that these can't accept no more than 20V rails is because of the smd cap's are rated for 25V each. @ 20V rails i estimated about 15watts. These smd boards are great for small power and great for a pair of small speakers. The project is really good for those who can't afford a aleph 30 and up but want to try a class a.

The mini smd a's are perfect price and cheap to build If required to build more power it is easy to perchase the through hole board's and build a more powerfull amp.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
jleaman said:
The reason that these can't accept no more than 20V rails is because of the smd cap's are rated for 25V each. @ 20V rails i estimated about 15watts. These smd boards are great for small power and great for a pair of small speakers. The project is really good for those who can't afford a aleph 30 and up but want to try a class a.

The mini smd a's are perfect price and cheap to build If required to build more power it is easy to perchase the through hole board's and build a more powerfull amp.

We will be designing the boards to use 35v caps.

--
Brian

winslow said:
I'd like a few through hole and the PS boards...probably 2-3 of each.

Brian, Eric says you are one crazy dude....

Crazy yes also a good designer and listener. Now he has a clean basement with all parts sorted out :) thanks to me. I also enjoyed my self when i was here. Brian/Merdith were good host's.

:drink: Guy's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.