• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@wtnh,

I use Takman “Rex” (2%) carbon film resistors when called for. Very reasonably priced.

I ordered these Takman “Rexs” (1 watt) for the CF feedback resistors from Partsconnexion. On my Fluke 179 the resistors I received measure within 0.5% of the rated value, and within 0.05% of each other in each pair!

Thanks for the pointer, Vunce.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Resistor issue: 1 watt in R108 and R141

Hmmm! The Takman “Rex” 1 watt resistors don’t really fit on the PCB in R108 and R141. I don’t have any, but 1/2 watters will probably fit well, so get them instead, pending the following:

I ordered 1 watt because I believe X said 1/2 watt causes some issues at sustained high output. Which one really needs to be 1 watt? The Takman Rex 1 watt could be squeezed in if you “loop-back” the leads.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hmmm! The Takman “Rex” 1 watt resistors don’t really fit on the PCB in R108 and R141. I don’t have any, but 1/2 watters will probably fit well, so get them instead, pending the following:

I ordered 1 watt because I believe X said 1/2 watt causes some issues at sustained high output. Which one really needs to be 1 watt? The Takman Rex 1 watt could be squeezed in if you “loop-back” the leads.

You can also use two parallel 1/2 w and straddle the second across tall legs of the first like a fence.

Well not unexpectedly, it sounds great!! Thanks X.

a few challenges along the way but all worth it.

I have a low level hum coming from the preamp but when that is removed, it is silent - so a little more messing but am going to listen without the pre till I sort the preamp out .

thanks again for putting this great project together.

..dB

Yes, it is a tight squeeze.

Odd thing is that the left is dead quiet and they share the same power supply and ground. The 24v supply is actually a DC-DC converter that takes the rail supply and puts out 24v. It is a low noise unit that is sitting below the output relay.

This preamp board is the one that I was doing all the work on, I will go over it carefully to see if the is anything odd.

In the meantime, I moved it up to the study and it is doing very well with my near field monitors.

.. dB

I am going to have to do a small shoot out with my M2X. I didn't expect to keep as much microdetail and nuance as I am hearing with the FH9HVX ( needs a better or easier to write name ) Has really good bass control too. Colour me impressed. I built this amp more for fun ( and coolness in the summer ) than expecting great things and it has certainly impressed.

looking forward to others getting their amps built and hearing others opinions.

..dB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Dbel84,
That’s what Vunce and I have been saying about this amp for a while. If it was the only amp I had - I wouldn’t be too broken up about it. :). Given the low parts count, accessibility of parts and ease of build, great sound, nuanced detail, bass control, 100w on reserve, cool running, etc. it checks a lot of the boxes.

I too am looking forward to other reviews.

Thanks for building it for grins. :)

Honestly, it was those inductors that sealed the deal :) . I have had a set of e-bay clones of this amp concept in my drawer for some time with the idea that I would put together a relatively simple AB amp that doesn't run anywhere near as hot as my other amps. I have a few older ADCOMs that would work too but I particularly wanted an integrated amp for my office. When I saw your thread, I knew this was the one to build.

You have designed a very elegant board which makes for an easy build ( as long as you get the led's the correct way around ) Mounting it the way I have was a little more tricky because of the little BD transistor but easy enough to find a solution.

Now that I have it off the variac, it is running full rails of 60V , I kept the bias as suggested although this is when "hot" initial start up is double the current draw when cold / initial start. I use the same chassis for my M2X and it runs at close to 60deg C , this amp is probably 30 odd - will have to measure it. No POPs on start of shut down ( massive pop with the ACP preamp installed - it pushes about 1.5V into the output when it shuts down ( luckily the relay cuts in pretty quickly but not quickly enough to prevent all noise )

thanks again for making this available to DIY

..dB