• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Purifi’s PTT6.5W04-01A woofer group buy

That is interesting. Another group buy would be welcome - but any word on the 4 inch drivers? I would like the 8ohm 6.5 inch and the 4 inch ones. Quite a few people are waiting for the 4" drivers. A TMWW with the 4" and dual 6.5" would be awesome!

From the man Lars Risbo who posted in a FB group earlier today:

PTT4.0 is getting closer. it has now a stronger 4L coil and improved response. we will update the preview in the coming days.

I installed PTT6.5W04 in place of stock Scanspeak 8545 in Merlin VSM-MXs. The is a "pencil" tower of around 19 liters with a Dynaudio Esotar 330d silk dome tweeter. Given the Purifi’s LF capabilities, perhaps most interestingly, the Merlin comes with an analog line-level equalizer that progressively boosts mid and low frequencies by +1db at 200hz out to+5db at 35hz. The equalizer filters all output below 30hz.

I haven’t taken measurements, but there is no doubt that the Purifi blends well with the stock second-order crossover and bass equalizer and is in all respects an improvement over the 8545. The mids are more resolving and timbrally correct. Dynamics and LF authority are improved.

The cabinet has a 2"x 5" flared port, which is obviously wrong for the Purifi-- adding boominess and blurring. LF sounds more neutral and balanced with the port stuffed.

I’m thinking of plugging the port and adding 2x2 side-mounted Purifi PRs.

Last edited:
FYI, as of Dec 10th 2020 Madisound lists the Purifi 6.5" 8 ohm driver as "on sale" for ~20% off. I don't know when that started nor when it will end, but figured that people here might be interested.

I had been vaguely contemplating getting a set of 2 of the 6.5" drivers to build a set of 2-way sealed monitors and comparing the distortion profiles vs response of the 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm versions, knowing that the 8 ohm version would be a better choice from the point of view of compatibility with amps.

Now noting the sale, it made my decision easier, and ordered 2 of the 8 ohm drivers. :)

Last edited: