• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ready-to-Run (RTR) SSR DC Speaker Protection and Delay GB

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I successfully received another pair of SSR DC protection boards, thanks X! Their small form factor and simple install makes them a must for all my amp projects. They actually help me get more progress done on the “big stuff” because they are already built :D

:cheers:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I bought 2 boards, one for each mono block. I finished offset correction, and finally put the SSR DC boards into the circuit, putting both the hot and ground through the circuit. This has introduced a soft thump at power off. (M2x + 97db speakers). My offset was 0-0.5mv last check.

If I isolate the ground directly to the PSU board ground terminal, will the thump go away? I don’t have hum, so I had not moved the output ground yet.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t think changing the ground will make turn off thump go away. What is your PSU? I don’t recall others using the SSR with M2X having turn off thump - it may be your 97dB speakers. Only way is to have a PSU Or soft start board that sends out a logic signal shut down the SSR upon power off.

This will be in gen 2 of SSR combined with gen 2 of SFP board.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Current bog standard DIYStore board with default values. One consideration for later upgrade will be your PSU boards. I think I have some 22v power transformers. But that will be another day.

I did not have the turn off thump without the SSR. I don’t have a turn on thump(now or then), but I don’t think that’s a problem with the big cap on the M2x board.

Great job xrk - many thanks. Finally my amplifier is complete! Safe to say this was the easiest part of the project. Bit of a learning curve for me as I’ve never built an amplifier before.

Attachments

• 88C3176D-6E92-4E9C-A257-54C8D4C7C75B.jpeg
    88C3176D-6E92-4E9C-A257-54C8D4C7C75B.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 37DDC459-3457-4048-ABB3-C1DF61307EAC.jpeg
    37DDC459-3457-4048-ABB3-C1DF61307EAC.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 277
Nice work Stretch! What amp is that? Looks very compact and very high power. Make sure you put some insulator tape on back wide of the RTR SSR board if not mounted on standoffs.
:cheers:

Yep FirstOne Large amplifier with additional cap banks and 3KA400 power supply. The speaker wire is solid OCC copper, so the xrk SSR speaker protection modules are held very tightly floating in free air.

Hi!

I just ordered a couple of boards this morning on your website, and I have a
question, sorry if it's already been answered in this thread.
What is the power consumption of the protection board when it's ON - whilst listening to music ?
Does it create some kind of unbalance between V+ and V- on the amplifier/psu rail?
My amplifiers are FirstOne 1.4M and V4H boards, and Cresnet smps....
Thanks à lot

JM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is being worked for gen 2 and needs to be used in conjunction with a soft start SSR that sends a shutdown signal to the speaker protect SSR. I have asked Jhofland if there is a way to retrofit this feature but not simple. One possibility is a separate circuit controlled by an MCU that detects a drop in the rail and then a relay to pull down the opto gate.