• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ideal bridge rectifier GB

I received today also, I vas eager to try and have already prepared a test bench with differents diodes to compare. On photo attached are the contenders including the new Saligny.

Attachments

• 2019_0509_01413700(2).jpg
    2019_0509_01413700(2).jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 592
There is seen connected and powered on, my current reference diode, the big grey can. Is an difficult to find, very scarce I think an special production de General Electric to drive heaters to high power tubes. I think last effort in selenium diode technology, -no compromise- as it is an unique low voltage diode bridge, oil filled can.

Attachments

• IMG-20190404-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20190404-WA0012.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 576
-Cree Silicon Carbide diode bridge, to my experience these sound rougly similar to Schotty Barrier ones, they smooth an annoying cold glare on high frecuencies that are present on all silicon diodes since first appear in the industry.
-Low voltage Selenium rectifier: are a significant jump towards high-end, in a sense that we are leaving the hi-fi territory, where things just can play as not-annoying, and entering the hi-end game, where pleasure enters in scheme. So this ugly bulky radiator plates, lets music pass throaugh in a 3D image projection compared to the flatness of SiC Cree. Also music is more dynamic.
-High voltage Selenium Aeg/Grundig. This is the black can on pic. Plenty of shortcomings on realibily, as severe voltage drop, heat disipation, and harmfull if explode. But I add here because thay can still be used on low voltage (low current- my thipath chip amp only draws 63mA./13v.), and sound good, so worth to mention these actually perform more bass extension than low voltage (radiator type).
-Low voltage oil can Selenium General Electric. As said my reference for long time. It retains the bass extension, but an even balance response, where mid freq are improved and also projected forward.
Lets take a breath and share a pic. my system is low power but dynamic chip amp. with good synergy to the speakers also very dynamic fullrange 8'' with front horns:

Attachments

• 2019_0509_02533000(2).jpg
    2019_0509_02533000(2).jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 570
As soon I get the module I easy soldered two double sockets, lukily holes are standard 5mm. pitch. After that, was easy go back and forth from one bridge to another.
First hearing already show is a good performer against my cherised (and unobtanium) GE oil filled Selenium. I simply liked the sound, I would say better I liked the music, the flowing... how to say... liquidity maybe? what the heck is going on? Is a must going back to selenium and voilà, by now I noticed that selenium was worse. It took me some times go back and forth, and maybe some further minutes warming the new contender, that finally determine the different nature of both bridges. In the end, Saligny was so much better that actually now I can't further stand the monster big Selenium. Once the brain perception has settled on Saligny quality, then, anything other sounds darkened and recesed and coarse sound, without detail.
While I am tired now and very slow writing as English is foreing language to me, I just can't avoid the efford, in fair gratitude to Tibi, to explain in return the best I can.
Saligny is excellent in terms of price/quality but not only, also is an quality in absolute. Modules far perform above my expectations.

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_213019.jpg
    IMG_20190508_213019.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
As the word gets around this is going to be desired by many. i would hope it could turn into a worthwhile endeavor for you on a smaller scale than what you had before. Even if you have to do it by subscription to justify the production runs. Hope you continue with this!

I would be interested in both high and low power versions if you do. Wish I had noticed this before today. i will be keeping up with this thread now.

Thank you for your interest !
I'm working to make this available to more people.

For high voltage ideal rectifier I'll open another thread when pcb's are ready.
There will be two high voltage full bridge rectifiers.
HV up to 200V @ 15A
UHV up to 600V @ 25A

While the footprint will be similar to Saligny, These are much more complex devices using expensive mosfets. I'll not afford to run a GB, buy parts and than some people leave the GB.

On other hand, is there anyone interested in a 3 phase ideal rectifier ?

Regards,
Tibi