• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I'm now looking at doing another run of this great pre-amp as I have found another PCB house that might be really good and local to me.

I'm awaiting for pricing from them for various versions:
1. Bare PCB
2. Semi-assembled PCB where all surface-mount devices are present
3. Fully-assembled PCB with both SMD and PTH components are fitted. In which case, just find an enclosure and power supply and hook up.

4. Optionally, I might do a run on the Hypex regulators, but this will depend on quantities as it's a rather large cost for me to fork out up front.

If anyone wants another kind of combination, please let me know, but for obvious reasons of simplicity and streamlining, I can't prepare many different custom versions.

I'll probably start a new thread for those to express interest and will update once I have pricing for the versions above.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can't remember and can't find....

Dit anybody find a suitable minimalistic enclosure for this build and was a "back panel" design/drawing made?

I will power the unit using on of Jan's SilentSwitchers so I only need minimal space aside from the PCB itself (i.e. no toroid etc.).

Thanks!

Nic

I feel like I saw one - but you'd have to search all the group buy threads and the main thread - I can't remember where I would have seen it. Perhaps there's an attachment option in the advanced search form?

Personally I like to use nicely designed enclosures from old broken hifi to stay away from the common DIY-look basic chinese enclosures you see everywhere. Someone made a good use of a Cyrus case from a broken Cyrus tuner, I am using a Quad FM4 tuner case (not finished). There is the top half of a Cyru case for example: Cyrus Audio Aluminium Chassi - For parts | eBay

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for the info Ergo.
I'm really looking for something even more minimalistic as I will be using the circuit in my "lab", rather than in the living room:p
I ended up using a +15V/0/-15V Didden SilentSwitcher as PSU and the balanced pre-amp (or maybe more correctly "electronic attenuator") measures superbly, as expected:)

Hi Guys, how do they look assembled ? (The boards). Anyone maybe with a circuit schematics ? (Just out of curiosity). I tried the links in previous topics but the very original link doesn't seem to work anymore. Maybe somebody could do a quick update either on the 1st thread or just here.

What I understood 'til now is that it's an active volume control using pots for amplification gain changing instead of sitting in the signal path itself and doing attenuation so this way it achieves top-notch quality, right ?

It just remembers me on what PS Audio has done too, recently (seen couple of days ago on Paul's youtube channel) but I think PS did it with tubes (not sure). (I'm not an engineer, still learning a lot).

I'm just in the phase of designing my 3-way active setup's preamp section, I need some kind of volume control of extraordinary quality - and gain correction (if possible). Still searching.

Last edited:
Here's the article that Hypex have moved somewhere. This link is to when it was published on EDN Network website:

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4431638/The-G-word--Demo-project---A-balanced-volume-controller

As for photos of the assembled boards, google search brings a few photos, including this one from here, Jan.didden's original Linear Audio board:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gro...utzeys-balanced-preamp-buy-9.html#post4545582

See the article for your answer about how it works (I wouldn't want to mislead by getting it wrong - a beginner too).

As for controlling a 3-way active set-up, you'll need 3 bpbbp boards and you can contol them together with either a Maya controller (and 3 x VolPCB boards which interface between the Maya and VolPCB ), or a 6 channel Khozmo attenuator like Simon is using above (he's using a two-channel one). I'm sure there are other ways too... but those are possibly the most straightforward whilst having controlled, calculated, stepped attenuation.

Last edited:
Here's the article that Hypex have moved somewhere. This link is to when it was published on EDN Network website:

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4431638/The-G-word--Demo-project---A-balanced-volume-controller

As for photos of the assembled boards, google search brings a few photos, including this one from here, Jan.didden's original Linear Audio board:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gro...utzeys-balanced-preamp-buy-9.html#post4545582

See the article for your answer about how it works (I wouldn't want to mislead by getting it wrong - a beginner too).

As for controlling a 3-way active set-up, you'll need 3 bpbbp boards and you can contol them together with either a Maya controller (and 3 x VolPCB boards which interface between the Maya and VolPCB ), or a 6 channel Khozmo attenuator like Simon is using above (he's using a two-channel one). I'm sure there are other ways too... but those are possibly the most straightforward whilst having controlled, calculated, stepped attenuation.

Just in case someone else wants to add a subwoofer to a system, using the BPBP as main preamp, you can do as I have done in order to avoid the extra cost of another BPBP :
Just get another VolCB, leave the two IC´s out and connect the relay spools parallel to the relay spools of the main VolCB and modify it as the attached schematic. Follow it by an opamp buffer (evt. with gain).

You could also mount the second VolCB with all the components and connect the control input in parallel with the main VolCB input and of course not parallel the relay spools then!

Attachments

• Passive VolCB.jpg
    Passive VolCB.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 431
Sorry I forgot to say, that I am using a pc to room correct and EQ my main array speakers, and I need the subs to be an integrated part of the system.
I was quoting a response to a guy, who wanted a 3-way active crossover, so I thought that was obvious. But sorry for the confusion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.