• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Input and switch boards for Soekris DAM1021 DAC

mc002 +1 V2 Board
Lindamar +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
Potstip +1 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled.
cloud85 +1 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled.
ylingf +1 V2 Board + swich board,
robertrowett +1 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled
arthur +4 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled
AR2 +1 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled

mc002 +1 V2 Board
Lindamar +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
j45yip +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled

mc002 +1 V2 Board
Lindamar +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
milezone +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled

mc002 +1 V2 Board
Lindamar +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
arneoa50 +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled

Possible feature:
It would be nice to have the option to connect the raspberry pi b as well as the newer boards. The 'b' has linear PS regulation and may be the best sounding board of the lot.

That could be done by creating a different RPi connector PCB. Of course, it can only work with Revision 2 Raspberries that have additional pins for I2S output. Is anyone else interested in such option?
raspberry-pi-p5.jpg

Edited !!

mc002 +1 V2 Board
Lindamar +1 V2 Board + swich board, fully assembled
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board

mc002 +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
Philipp23 +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled

mc002 +1 V2 Board
ramallo +1 V2 Board
robertrowett +1 V2 Board
Philipp23 +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled
Laurent33 +1 V2 Board + Switch Board, fully assembled

Thanks

+1 interest in support for newer RPi

To clarify, the newer Raspberry PI 2 and B+ are supported by default.
The question is about supporting older A/B models. There are two revisions of the older models. Revision 1 does not have I2S outputs and is not useable here. Revision 2 has optional connectors for I2S signals (circled in the picture above). These devices can be used, but will require either a different RPi connector board or manual wiring.

To clarify, the newer Raspberry PI 2 and B+ are supported by default.
The question is about supporting older A/B models. There are two revisions of the older models. Revision 1 does not have I2S outputs and is not useable here. Revision 2 has optional connectors for I2S signals (circled in the picture above). These devices can be used, but will require either a different RPi connector board or manual wiring.

That makes much more sense! Thanks for clarifying.

I might consider adding connectivity for BBB in the future if there is interest. At the moment, it seems that BBB support is not quite there yet for most players.

One drawback for BBB is that it requires an external clock to play 44.1kHz family of sample rates. Support for external clocks is a good thing in general, as it allows using better quality oscillators. But since DAM1021 has its own reclocking, I2S source jitter should not matter (at least in theory), and needing external clocks for BBB is just a complication.

It may be interesting to see if with the upcoming firmware the DAM MCLK output could be used as a clock source for BBB.

Hi everyone,

The DAM firmware update still has not materialized, so there has not been much progress with the V2 input board production. I am still hoping the firmware will be released and will include the promised support for isolated 3.3V serial control lines.

Meanwhile, to cheer everyone up, here is my working prototype with all the functionality of the planned new input board: I2S input selector controllable by mechanical switch or programmatically from RPi, serial control of the DAM using forta's libraries , DIYINHK USB interface support, including reading its status from RPi. The "0011" displayed next to USB on the display correspond to USB status LEDs in the top right corner.

On the upper left there are the serial line driver and isolator chips that should no longer be needed if the DAM isolated control lines are enabled.

The prototype also has a USB WiFi dongle, a Digole 1.3" OLED display and IR remote support using LIRC. I have created a rudimentary Python script to test the hardware. Streaming with squeezelite player over WiFi works well, and I can switch the inputs and control DAM volume using the Apple remote. There is still a lot of work to be done to integrate all the software pieces into a robust player appliance, but at least the planned hardware functionality is working.

The planned board layout has been updated a little due to some changes in power supply scheme, and to allow sending master clock signal from DAM to the attached microcomputer. It is not needed for Raspberry Pi, but will allow attaching BBB just by making a different connector PCB. If there is interest, connector PCBs could also be designed for attaching Arduino microcontrollers, although of course they would only be useable for controlling the DAC, not for streaming audio.

Attachments

• IMG_8704.JPG
    IMG_8704.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

The DAM firmware update still has not materialized, so there has not been much progress with the V2 input board production. I am still hoping the firmware will be released and will include the promised support for isolated 3.3V serial control lines.

Meanwhile, to cheer everyone up, here is my working prototype with all the functionality of the planned new input board: I2S input selector controllable by mechanical switch or programmatically from RPi, serial control of the DAM using forta's libraries , DIYINHK USB interface support, including reading its status from RPi. ..

Normundss,
Thanks for sharing your interesting prototype.

I'm waiting to the what the DAM firmware update will bring.