New SBA 8" Full Range driver

It might play in GregB's Fulmerized BetsyK cabinet idea - then again a regular port could be easier to tune and that cabinet may be tuned too high -?

AY6tEoj.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Getting excited about this cheap thing, almost feels like when I ordered the FC152.
Xmax is around 5.65mm though (Xmax is one way, linear travel is P-P), perhaps you should correct the 1st post Perceval.
8” SB20FRPC30-8 / Paper – Sbacoustics

... My sister in a very roundabout way sort of indirectly asked (borderline begging) if I had some speakers to spare, perhaps I should get some extra drivers since using a single 8" is much easier than starting with passive crossovers or any kind of multi-amp setup...

Last edited:
Getting excited about this cheap thing, almost feels like when I ordered the FC152.
Xmax is around 5.65mm though (Xmax is one way, linear travel is P-P), perhaps you should correct the 1st post Perceval.

Sorry, yes, I knew that, and it was clear in my head... my bad. fixed!

... My sister in a very roundabout way sort of indirectly asked (borderline begging) if I had some speakers to spare, perhaps I should get some extra drivers since using a single 8" is much easier than starting with passive crossovers or any kind of multi-amp setup...

Indeed!
I can't wait to get mine ... been looking for that diamond in the rough for a long time! :)

I for one find it wonderful that mainstream manufacturers are now taking seriously the full range Market. Having an affordable 8-inch full Ranger, from a well-established and high quality manufacturer can only lead to better competition in the sector. Everybody loves a bargain, and I think SB has the capabilities to make a high-quality, great-sounding sounding driver at an affordable price. I'm definitely going to be placing my order as soon as they're in stock!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well, so far, every simulation I throw at it, whether a MLTL, vented as per GM's suggestion, and even sealed, ... they all look very well behaved with a nice gentle roll-off in the low end.

If the higher end can also be well behaved, this should be a hit for SBA.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The similar driver currently for sale appears to lack a whizzer cone and doesn’t have the sharp cone phase plug in the middle. So I expect performance and frequency response to be different. In general, I don’t like whizzer cones as they seem to diffuse the temporal dynamics.

8in-SB20FRPC30-8.jpg

But the specs are quite similar. Maybe a large box open at the bottom against the floor like a Saba Greencone enclosure might work well?

put it in a Karlson K12 or scale Acoustic Control 115BK to K12 bulk or build a K with a smoothing stub on top

it should be ok in a stock Karlsonator8 (fb~41Hz)

rough (gu)estimate in a K12 bulk 115BK

I had BetsyK in a 1955 K12 (aka "Karlsonette" as there wasn't yet the 8 inch model) - it loaded
very well with very little cone excursion at live levels. But the leads came out of the eyelets anyhow.
K8 was too little and too high tuned to offer loading to BetsyK - sealed would probably have been better
than K8's stock 95Hz tuning.

tNna34A.jpg

Last edited:
a request to XRK971. IF you have time, is there a reasonably compact Karlsonator solution for this driver? FWIW I assume GregB's Karlsonator8 with fb ~41Hz, is a good fit (?)

Def_Driver 'SB20FRPC30' | SB Acoustics 8 inch fullrange driver 5.5mm xmax
Sd= 216 cm2
fs=39Hz
Mms=14.7g
Oms=3.26
Qes=0.45
Re=5.6ohm
Le=0.30mH
Vas=73.2L

I for one find it wonderful that mainstream manufacturers are now taking seriously the full range Market. Having an affordable 8-inch full Ranger, from a well-established and high quality manufacturer can only lead to better competition in the sector. Everybody loves a bargain, and I think SB has the capabilities to make a high-quality, great-sounding sounding driver at an affordable price. I'm definitely going to be placing my order as soon as they're in stock!

The Fostex 8” drivers have been the one’s to knock off their perch in terms of a full range driver with good sensitivity, although they are aimed more for BLH use. As always seems to be the case, listening is everything.

The Audio Nirvana Super8W too.

Last edited: