Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

High praise of 10" Fullrange driver based loudspeaker -
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 02:03 PM   #21
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I would like to hear this thing. The description of their design process is actually well written and not full of HiFi snake oil. I don’t know if it’s the best full range driver ever, but it probably sounds pretty good. The Vas is huge though - the cabinet is going to be massive. That’s about the only drawback.

Also, lots of whizzers may scramble the phase of a single membrane because now it is 4 membranes that flap.
Old 12th February 2020, 03:36 PM   #22
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

They were at last Capital Audio Show. Nice sound. (for a fullrange)
Old 12th February 2020, 05:35 PM   #23
Aridace is offline Aridace  Panama
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I would like to hear this thing. The description of their design process is actually well written and not full of HiFi snake oil. I donít know if itís the best full range driver ever, but it probably sounds pretty good. The Vas is huge though - the cabinet is going to be massive. Thatís about the only drawback.

Also, lots of whizzers may scramble the phase of a single membrane because now it is 4 membranes that flap.
That's why I would be more interested in the pulse response (shows resonant modes) and distortion graphs - as provided by Hifi-Selbstbau - Startseite for subscribers. Plugging the TS parameters into AJhorn shows that for "acceptable performance" a TQWT needs about 100L.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:53 PM   #24
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Cube F10 Neo driver USD $5600.00/pair

they make a smaller F8 Neo driver $4700.00

FWIW, Nelson Pass had been playing around with the $2800/pair F8 Magnus drivers.
What is perhaps more interesting is that the F10 Ferrite driver at 2/3 the current cost of the F10 neo at $6,000. It utilizes the same cone, suspension and basket. They only difference appears to be the motor, which is a combination of neodymium and ferrite. Specifications are essentially identical, as are the published frequency response curves. I wonder if the two sound identical as well.
Old 14th February 2020, 05:43 PM   #25
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Listening experience aside, even the ancient w4-1320sb I practiced REW with last night walks this measured performance above 500 Hz. A 40 dB drop from 60 Hz to 20 kHz is a stretch without reincarnating Anita O'Day in my living room.
Shouldn't 1/4 octave smoothing be smoother?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (278.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 07:35 AM   #26
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
What is perhaps more interesting is that the F10 Ferrite driver at 2/3 the current cost of the F10 neo at $6,000. It utilizes the same cone, suspension and basket. They only difference appears to be the motor, which is a combination of neodymium and ferrite. Specifications are essentially identical, as are the published frequency response curves. I wonder if the two sound identical as well.
IDK, given the cost vs my perceived value of the drives, I have no plan to order anytime soon.

If I feel the need to play with a "high end" wideband driver it would likely be an entry-level Voxativ.
Old 15th February 2020, 09:47 AM   #27
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Listening experience aside, even the ancient w4-1320sb I practiced REW with last night walks this measured performance above 500 Hz. A 40 dB drop from 60 Hz to 20 kHz is a stretch without reincarnating Anita O'Day in my living room.
Shouldn't 1/4 octave smoothing be smoother?
I wouldn't be inclined to put much value on in-room measurements of the Nenuphar < about 300Hz or so. So if we set that aside (as it should be for pretty much any speaker as it's more or less meaningless) it has a reasonably flat response out to about 6KHz, usual lower treble rise from there to about 10KHz (not dissimilar to many Lowthers & equivalent units) drops to flatter output to c.15KHz before finally falling off. Not bad for a larger whizzer cone unit & better than some.

One would have thought so re 1/4 octave. YMMV.

I've been wondering how long it would be before Cube got some more attention here. In fairness to them, unlike many other expensive wideband driver manufacturers, they do at least publish a fairly complete data set of T/S values, FR and impedance which are consistent with themselves (not always the case with some other manufacturers).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 15th February 2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 15th February 2020, 12:04 PM   #28
Mattes is online now Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

indeed measurements do not tell too much about a FR unitīs sound, Cube Audioīs measurements are somewhat strange, and the price is high.
But the Cubes sound pretty good, and the manufacturers have most certainly put a lot of efforts into their drivers. All that has to be paid for, and a (relatively) small scale production in Europe will, pricewise, never be able to compare with Asian sources.
The Cubes are not cheap, but compare nicely to other high-price FR units. Everyone has to choose his poison...

Best regards

Mattes
Old 15th February 2020, 12:47 PM   #29
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Poison? Yes indeed. YouTube

Leaving aside the broader question of FR measurements & sonic characteristics (TBH, I find them very useful myself, although they certainly don't tell you everything) it appears from the caption on the above graph that the response data is a (presumably gated) in-room measurement of the Nenuphar speaker, in which case the LF range should be disregarded as it needs to be measured using different techniques. Be that as it may, Cube to my eyes appear to be one of the better low-volume / boutique manufacturers & while as noted the products certainly are not cheap, they also appear to be decent examples of their particular types (e.g. medium - large[ish] whizzer cone wideband drivers).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 15th February 2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 15th February 2020, 06:52 PM   #30
Aridace is offline Aridace  Panama
diyAudio Member

High praise of 10&quot; Fullrange driver based loudspeaker -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
IDK, given the cost vs my perceived value of the drives, I have no plan to order anytime soon.

If I feel the need to play with a "high end" wideband driver it would likely be an entry-level Voxativ.
The absence of measurements to justify >$1,000 drivers raises my "snake oil alert" and an overdose of subjective (non-verifiable) superlatives on the company's website only amplifies that. It's obvious that performance has a price tag but when real, not only is audible beyond any doubt but shows in measurements too.

High praise of 10&quot; Fullrange driver based loudspeaker -Hide this!Advertise here!