Obtaining my White Whale (25 Driver IDS-25 Line Array Build)

Ok, I've gotten to try some things.

1. As a temporary test to troubleshoot the polyswitch resistors, I wrapped some wire around their connections to essentially short them out. That way, if they are problematic, I can see what it sounds like "without" them.

...Conclusion, the speakers sound like normal now.

From what I read, it could take between 1 day to 1 month for the polyswitch resistors to return to their original crystalline structure. For me it may be worth waiting a month.

I will say that the speakers may be a little more dynamic bypassing the polyswitch resistors.

2. I tried a power conditioner with the new pair of Sonics 800X (Bryston 7b) power amplifiers. There is no pop on startup. There is still a crackle and pop on shutdown.

As I'm still in the test phase, I added a Adcom speaker selector switch so I could disconnect the speakers from the amplifiers during startup and shutdown.

Right now I am just using single TC9 drivers open air on light stands for these tests. That way if something bad happens, it's not to the line arrays.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember I had to add a soft-start to my amplifier, not specifically for pop noises but starting it up triggered my breaker switches :D.
I got it off of ebay, you can see it in this picture on the right:

Vandermill-internals.jpg