New Markaudio Drivers

Personally I feel the Alpair 7 was one of the best drivers in the world, there was something magical about it (almost electrostatic in speed).

I wasn't a huge fan of the Fostex FE127E due to my personal sensitivity to some peakiness in the treble but it was a good example of a driver that had the qualities you are seeking. It's also obsolete - but Fostex carry a range of comparable drivers.

I've resigned myself to seeing drivers have limited life spans, especially from smaller players in the market. I'm about to build some boxes for a pair of A10.3's and despite comments to the contrary I expect them to be extinct at some point in the not too distant future. But for me it's DIY.

Have your thought of approaching Ted Jordan ?

As a general note, so I am told, the new 2nd gen. Pluvia 7 is intended to be the direct successor to the Alpair 7.3, notwithstanding the different name. In essence, I gather it's a 7.3 in a Pluvia basket. Some detail differences, but that's more or less what I gather it is.

As a gentle note re a point above: Ted Jordan sadly passed away in 2016, though his company and driver survives and (to my external eyes), appear to be prospering thank goodness.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had missed that about Ted.

Unfortunately, from what I've read from others, the P7 doesn't sound as good as the A7.3 except for more bass. I haven't heard either myself. I wonder if the P7 can even go in the same enclosure ? if not that doesn't make the P7 a direct successor.

I wonder if this implies the same fate for the 10.3 meaning that the P11 is expected to be it's replacement but that doesn't work for any boxes made for the 10.3, they will be incompatible with the P11.

Last edited:
We always add cnc cabinets onto regular jobs and then build up the speakers when we have an order. We have only made a dozen or so speakers up, and financially it didn’t make sense to hold stock. Maybe I would have if we had known. Sounds like they had 7yrs notice.

The arrangement has changed and the cabinet is slightly larger. One thing I find strange is I’m not sure anyone who has the 7ms has compared to the 7. So all those good opinions are never comparisons, the Alpair 10’s sounds great until you put the 7’s next to them and realise the top detail your missing.

Perhaps some of the rumoured new drivers may fill our needs.

I’ll update once I get to play with both in the same boxes and see if I can drill down on the differences.

But you are right about the basket size changing (although the seem to be unifying them. 7ms is the same as the p7 and p11 and 11ms). While they say direct replacements I think Scott means in terms of sonic signature more than physicality.

The new pluvia could be good. Fingers crossed it comes to market soon.

Unfortunately, from what I've read from others, the P7 doesn't sound as good as the A7.3 except for more bass. I haven't heard either myself. I wonder if the P7 can even go in the same enclosure ? if not that doesn't make the P7 a direct successor.

I said the new second generation Pluvia 7, which is essentially the guts of an Alpair 7.3 (or a goodly proportion thereof) in a Pluvia basket, with some minor necessary adjustments. This is not the same drive unit as the outgoing Pluvia 7.

I wonder if this implies the same fate for the 10.3 meaning that the P11 is expected to be it's replacement but that doesn't work for any boxes made for the 10.3, they will be incompatible with the P11.

It doesn't mean anything of the kind. The Pluvia 11 is a different size drive unit, and to the best of my knowledge the Alpair 10.3 & 10P are remaining in production.

Last edited:
Bigun,

Scottmoose talked about the 2nd generation P7 (which is not out yet), not the current one. Each generation of the drivers has had slightly different characteristics. So I would expect a P7.1 to P7.2 change to also have different characteristics.

ah, thanks - that sounds interesting. The P7.1 was rumoured to be suitable as an EL-70 replacement. If the P7.2 can keep the bass of the 7.1 and gain the mid/treble of the 7.3 then by all accounts that would be killer, possibly the standard bearer for full range drivers full stop!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We find the current P7 to be voiced much the same as the A7.3 but without the same level of DDR.

The P7 fits into a CHx rebate with a thick gasket.

Talking about box size, optimum miniOnken for teh A&.3 is 9 litres, for the P7, 13 litres. Of the boxes Scott & i have found little or no changes in EL70 boxes (except of course, driver mounting details).

dave

Like Kobus, i wonder why TimbreAudio are lamenting a driver that was discontinued some 8 years ago…

Now if the A7.3 is what you are talking about, you could likely get more made with a minimum purchase of 1,000 units.

It's the Alpair 7.3 that Louis is referring to. However, its guts form the basis for the Pluvia 7HD so the Alpair 7.3 is basically still going to be around.

I'm no marketing expert, but the Alpair 7.3 generated an excellent reputation for itself, worth considerable money, so it's a pity that the name is gone, 'Pluvia' is just not the same (doesn't the name mean 'rain' ?) and given that the P7.1 was seen by some as inferior to the A7.3 it's now got to reclaim that crown from scratch instead of being able to stand on the shoulders of it's predecessor. See what I mean - we're already using the A7.3 as a benchmark for the P7.2 and hoping it will be as good.

What’s in a name, anyway?

I hafta agree that things have gotten a bit confusing with the various generations of Mark’s drivers over the years, compounded of course by designations of limited market models, our sepeculations and bloviations as to what or isn’t going on / coming down the design and supply chain pipeline, and what I see as the company’s restructured management’s inattention to direct public communication or updating their website. Both of which I think are major PR mistakes.
Of course those who can remember the last few months of Mark’s participation in these forums can appreciate the reluctance to re-engage.

From my personal experience with new basket designs over the past several years, including the budget priced stamped metal basket CHN70 - which has enough sonic personality to be considered an acquired taste - to early prototype of what became the Pluvia7, and the new A11MS, I must say that the new frames are much easier to work with. They don’t require rebating for flush mounting, which naysayers aside I considered advisable for the thicker framed models, but of course that means an even deeper chamfer on the rear side of through hole - most particularly so on the MS models whose much shallower reverse roll cone profile places even more of the radiating area within the baffle cavity.
The only downside I can see to the design is that it can prevent direct drop-in replacement in existing enclosures, but C-est la vie.

BMW were around for a long time before they realized there was a market for the '1' series. I wonder when Mark Audio will have their MA1.0 ? - think about it, a smaller driver which is really to be sold as a cone tweeter. With the new inverted cone for wide dispersion and mono suspension. Before we know it, we'll be looking at a two-way based on the Alpair1 and Alpair12 with a lowish XO.