FAST with TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Enclosures are almost finished. Just a last rub with coarse rag and they'll be nice and shiny. Next step is to attach drivers and test & solder the PLLXO.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6197.jpg
    IMG_6197.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 1,775
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

They're done! I took them to my friends as the speakers are pretty much two months late of the original schedule. Here's pictures of how they look, click to view the full picture.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Running the frequency test home I could hear stuff from 30Hz to 18kHz. In REW it showed a slight valley at 3-4kHz, another drop at 8kHz. There is a slight rise on 200-400Hz area (they are crossed over at 300Hz 1st order PLLXO). Below 200Hz it's a wild ride, but that's more about room acoustics in this apartment than the speaker (tested against my Genelec studio monitors which guarantee a very flat response)

More importantly, how do they sound?

Shortly, very good. First impression is that the sound is extremely pleasing and balanced. I have never heard a speaker that has this low listening fatigue, you can just go on and on with these things. Listening to for example classic, all the instruments are on right places and the soundstage has good depth. In classic rock, they have enough oomph to bring a smile to your face and your toes start tapping. In slower acoustic music, the instruments sound amazing, as they usually do with full range drivers. Metal sounded very good as well, as the bass driver took the heavy load from the full range and let it perform the higher frequency content without distortion. Same with techno and other bass-heavy music. Vocals were especially clear and nice in every music type, probably has something to do with the 200-400Hz plateau. My friend confirmed my opinions as well, emphatizing that these absolutely beat the Monitor Audio BX2 speakers he had previously to the dirt.

As for me, these are the best speakers I have built so far. They performed very well with anything I threw at them and were very pleasing to listen to. As they reached 30Hz (in my apartment), they also didn't need a subwoofer at all. This is the first time I've build a FAST-type speaker, and I think this might be the way my future speakers will be also build. Crossing out low with a full range simply yielded a very succesful result, more than anything I've tried out so far.

A big thanks for everyone who has helped me along the way. I couldn't have managed a speaker this good without you folks!

Attachments

• IMG_6200.jpg
    IMG_6200.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_6201.jpg
    IMG_6201.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_6205.jpg
    IMG_6205.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_6206.jpg
    IMG_6206.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,128
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Fantastic!! Glad they worked out and now you can see why I like the TC9FD - vocals are especially clear and non fatiguing. If you wouldn't mind providing a measurement plot at listening position and show harmonic distortion for 85dB level.
Beautiful speakers and I see that the TL FAST may be the way to go. I am working on a FAST with the 10F/8424 in a short TL as well and have an RS225-8 for the bass. Wondering how that would do in a TL vs sealed as Inwas planning.

Congratulations again - Well done !
:cheers:

If you wouldn't mind providing a measurement plot at listening position and show harmonic distortion for 85dB level.

I'll try my best to provide these as the speakers reside at my friends home nowadays. However, they will have to wait until I get a new sound card. For some reason I keep frying them like they're single-use or something. :confused:

Very nice build thanks detailed description performance, sounds as we shall prepare look forward your next FAST ...:)

It might just be that my next FAST will be an exactly similar speaker as I still got 2x of both drivers at home, just enough to crank out one more stereo pair. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.