FAST with TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Version two with slightly lower XO point for full range and more stuffing. Finally I got my computer fixed (broken PSU, luckily didn't fry anything while it went) so I can make speaker measurements when I get the enclosures built.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bothtls.jpg
    bothtls.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 1,248
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I used moderate damping from closed end to just where driver ends on bass TL and along full length on small TL. Damping equal to a pressure drop of 7500 Pa/m^2 per m. Similar to filling with polyfill.

Baffle step happens due to finite width of baffle on full range driver. Can't be avoided unless you are wall mounted or have a bipole driver.

On PLLXO, there may be a way to do 24dB/oct if you use a powerful preamp buffer driver. I think sonething like a 4 ch headphone amp may work.

Hmm, need to look into the 24db/oct PLLXO. Currently I'm considering this approach:

Bass driver 25cm down the line (see above post for frequency response) for smooth 200-300Hz roll-off. 2nd order (Q~0.5) lowpass on 350Hz. Bass driver in vertically on the middle of baffle. Bass driver is more efficient, so it will be matched to full ranges maximum level.

Full range driver at the end of the line (no other place for it to go), also centered vertically. 1st order highpass and PLL baffle step build according to Baffle Step Compensation instructions. Response simulated on EDGE shows that it has slight peak at 0,5kHz -1,6KHz area, but this should compensate for the TL design losses (see attached picture). No need for full 6db compensation as it's not an echoless chamber, probably 3db will be enough.

Of course all this will change as I get the speakers together and start measuring them :D

Attachments

• tc9.jpg
    tc9.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 540
Hmm, need to look into the 24db/oct PLLXO. Currently I'm considering this approach:

Bass driver 25cm down the line (see above post for frequency response) for smooth 200-300Hz roll-off. 2nd order (Q~0.5) lowpass on 350Hz. Bass driver in vertically on the middle of baffle. Bass driver is more efficient, so it will be matched to full ranges maximum level.

Full range driver at the end of the line (no other place for it to go), also centered vertically. 1st order highpass and PLL baffle step build according to Baffle Step Compensation instructions. Response simulated on EDGE shows that it has slight peak at 0,5kHz -1,6KHz area, but this should compensate for the TL design losses (see attached picture). No need for full 6db compensation as it's not an echoless chamber, probably 3db will be enough.

Of course all this will change as I get the speakers together and start measuring them :D

How wide is your baffle? Obviously, you won't need baffle step compensation if the crossover point is the baffle step, assuming you have the requisite difference in efficiency between the woofer the the TC8FD.

Hmm, if the baffle width is 320mm, using the usual (John Murphy) baffle step formula

F3 = 115/W (W = width in meters)

gives an F3 of 359Hz.

EDGE or whatever might provide something more precise, but usually this formula is pretty good. The little Vifa might have rising response or something, but that's too high for the dip to be due to baffle loss.

The filter does correct the response however, whatever the cause. Alternatively, the crossover could be overlapped.

attachment.php

Getting there slowly. I have quite little power tools so for example the angle on the board coming against the front baffle was done by hand. The front baffle is so wide that it actually has room for 3 TC9FD drivers side by side :D

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,330
Just a quick update. Enclosures are ready but project is currently on hold until I can get my router back to drill the holes and do the edge rounding. In the meantime, here's my assistant observing the new project from an old 80s golden ratio BR box.

attachment.php

Attachments

• assistant.jpg
    assistant.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 683
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.