microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone every put a CHR 70.3 in a half tower? I have been trying to find a enclosure that I can use for a rear speaker. A solution I thought of was to build two of the half towers with the drivers facing up. Keeping the cabinet dimensions and porting the same how would that sound. I am planning to put these behind and to the sides of the couch and wanted to put the drivers facing up to diffuse the sound.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Anyone every put a CHR 70.3 in a half tower? I have been trying to find a enclosure that I can use for a rear speaker. A solution I thought of was to build two of the half towers with the drivers facing up. Keeping the cabinet dimensions and porting the same how would that sound. I am planning to put these behind and to the sides of the couch and wanted to put the drivers facing up to diffuse the sound.

Yes, it'll work fine as planet10 says. I too prefer diffused rear channels.

However, I am not sure you will realize the benefits of a MLTL tower when used as as rears. In other words, do you really need a cabinet so large? The main point of the MLTL is to squeeze as much bottom end out as reasonably possible while maintaining coherence. Do you need that bottom-end in rear channels? If not, then you could get away with a small, sealed unit of whatever shape you envision.

EDIT: Wait a minute... I don't think there is room up top of a half-tower for CHR 70.3

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The main point of the MLTL is to squeeze as much bottom end out as reasonably possible while maintaining coherence

Not quite in this case. Part of the design breif for the microTower was to get as much bass as possible and retain the size of the original microTower from EPI.

If you want max bass Scott has a couple big ML-TLs

EDIT: Wait a minute... I don't think there is room up top of a half-tower for CHR 70.3

Now that is a very good point. Perhaps a folded halfTower with the driver faced up, or angle the baffle to have it not fire straight up at the ceiling (not a good idea if your ceiling isn't vaulted)

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dave, I was speaking of MLTL in general, not the microTower specifically. Point is, for rears there's just not a lot of low frequency stuff in the signal, so not much point in an MLTL.

I was looking at the folded half-tower, too, but again... for rear channels a simple sealed box of appropriate size would perform just fine, no?

I guess I was thinking the slim towers would be pretty unobtrusive next to the couch which is also against a back wall (I know ideal room setup) ��. I could possibly wall mount them with an up firing driver, but I do not want it to protrude from the wall too much. Could the dimensions be varied slightly at the top to accommodate the driver? A lot of my experience has been with traditional retail multi driver speakers and I am new to DIY.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Could the dimensions be varied slightly at the top to accommodate the driver?

Modify a lot, you could just fit them. Internal cross-section s key. If you made the 1/2 tower square x-section it would be 132 x 132 mm and the CHR bezel is 124 mm.

One could angle the top to allow to to make it wider than deep, but you have to be careful it is not so much that the back wall and the magnet try to occupy the same space.

A good CAD program would be useful figuring that out.

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Many of us have no dearth of speakers - if you do elect for 5.1 ( or further) , I think the investment in a surround receiver with Audyssey or such would be a wise investment

That would be nice, but I already own a Yamaha 5.1 receiver (sans bells and whistles) so it'll have to do. I was satisfied with it when I used it years ago. I'm not really all that concerned about having "the ultimate movie experience".

Being severely outnumbered by females in my house, I typically get stuck watching rom-coms anyway. Not a whole lot of "wow" factor in 5.1 for rom-coms. :rolleyes: :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.