Feastrex Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely gorgeous drivers, shame to place them in anything other than see-through enclosures.
The price level makes me wonder if these will ever be used in a commercial product.

DaveM said:
not in the same league.
The Lingenfelter ZO6 does close to 2lbs/hp, which is half the weight/power ratio of the +2 ton fancy Volkswagen.
Plus 45mph higher top speed in theory, if you can keep the vehicle straight at such a velocity, cheaper too.
here
John Lingenfelter is bound to come up with his own version of the Blue Devil (ZR1).

(i sure hope the Master was talking about the 600hp Lola Chevy. :clown: )

one last non-feastrex post

Okay, I'm compelled to defend the Elise... first, it has nothing to do with any Toyota, period. The Elise is a pure Lotus design and there was zero involvement from Toyota... the MR2 is a cute car but nothing close to the Elise. The original Elise used a Rover powerplant... this was not OBD-II compliant and as such could not be used in a US federal version. After much searching, Lotus eventually worked with Toyota for a new drivetrain that was US legal.

I've been at the Lotus factory in Hethel and have seen the Elise in production from start to finish. I would also note that the engine is actually made by Yamaha, not Toyota. I've driven both the original Elise with the Rover powerplant in the UK and the US Federal version in the US and both are high on fun, low on frills and very light cars.

The Federal version of the Elise was required as Lotus could no longer file for a safety extension on the aging Esprit due to it's older design, the Renault geabox no longer being produced and the costs to maintain cambelt timing on the V8 engine in the last Esprit models, which Lotus Cars US had to provide free of charge to maintain federal emissions.

I would also note that many US Elise owners have had serious lubrication issues on the Toyota/Yamaha engine with rocker failures due to some manufacturing defects, including one of my friends who has an Elise. As much as I like the Elise as a track car and simply pure driving fun (like a go-kart on steroids), it's not a replacement for the Esprit V8. Okay... getting off the soapbox now.

So let's hear it for the Feastrex drivers... I love my D5nf drivers and will never sell them, I agree with Nelson's earlier post on the value they offer versus the cost.

Regards, KM

Jacco,

You certainly have something there with the Lingenfelter Corvette. That certainly is impressive. One question is can it deliver on the top end? I know that Bugatti spent more money than is deserved to make it do so. From what I have seen, when you ask a a 7 liter engine to produce 1500 hp, it won't do it for long. Simply a matter of materials and fatigue.

It seems everyone missed my suggestion of a bio fuel lotus 7 that would get 60+ mpg and put a grin from ear to ear on every face fortunate enough to ride in it. I gave up on lusting after supercars long ago when I realized I will never be able to afford one. I have been fortunate to get to drive several Ferrari's as well as a Ford GT40 with the 427 built for racing. I find my slightly tuned BMW E30 convertible has just as much fun factor as most other toy cars out there with non of the downsides. I've had it for 8 years, it has over 250,000 miles on it and I have done oil changes and 2 wheel bearings in that time. Where is the downside? Then comes the idea of the DIY automobile to go with the DIY audio.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
One qestion Nelson -do you find the notch centred at ~900Hz) audible?

I suppose so, but it doesn't jump out at me. Over time when I have
a chance to go back to other drivers, I'll see if I notice it much.

Going through my notes of other full range drivers, I note that
variations of +/- 5 dB are par for the course. As a rule, the "sins of
commission" are more audible than the "sins of omission" and it
has become my habit to address peaks in excess of +5dB when
equalizing.

Nelson, Being one of the few people to to have personally used the Lowther, Freastrix and other fine -- expensive -- full range drivers do you feel that the full detail in the music is allowed to represent itself accurately.
I personnally use a large line array and find it quite enjoyable from bass to top end -- especially vocals.
Your opinions here is well respected and any comments -- not reviews -- would be much appreciated.
With the large selection of quality 25 watt and under amp projects to choose from the single full range speaker would be an obvious choice to complement the system.

It never seems to amaze me how you managed to make a fine living from a hobby it seems you really enjoy and are able to give so much away. Thanks Tad

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
As good as the Feastrex are would you say they are flat or flavored? Better than Lowhter or just different?

I started a response to this question and quickly realized that it
was a Godzilla of a question, no pun intended.

So I'm gathering my notes and stuff, and I'll come back with some
thoughts on the larger issue.

In the meantime : have any of you early Feast-Rex connoisseurs already seen links/pages of D9nf projects ?

For something completamente differente again:
Dave, don't kid yourself, the US engine aftermarket has a vast history and the top notch parts are prime beef.
Lamborghini used to be in the off-shore power boat business, they've had a much bigger rat for boaty stuff than the standard V12 since the late 70s. (pictures on demand, i visited St'Agatha Bolognese)
The know-how/performance levels of American V8s in off-shore racing has become unbeatable, no big surprise considering how many are involved.

Thermal management for a 16-cilinder is of another dimension than for a V8.
The Veyron has 2 keys, the 2nd one is for Sport-mode for the remaining +200hp/3000rpm more.
Not for safety, but you'd blow the engine driving at full throttle too long.

As if the typical Veyron owner will give a hoot ?
My next door neighbor drives a standard Bentley tank, each evening he blocks it with his M-Merc before the gate is locked, afraid the car may be stolen.
Then there's my BIL, he's not allowed to drive the car he likes by his wife, she feels she may be woken up at gun-point one day.
What a life, sure glad i'm a homocidal maniac.

(Clarkson is the most hilarious joke in car TV-shows, 20 years ago i went for a leak the moment he showed up in front of the camera)

Is feastrex new, Ive never head of them?

my car stereo types:)

Japan = reliable
England = Unreliable
America = raw power
Germany = Engineering excellence
Italy = passion
France = not my cup of tea

Oh and I almost forgot Australia, HQ holdens are cool, especially monaros.

A Question For Nelson

Hello Nelson,

I was told by a friend that the Feastrex are an incredibly articulate set of drivers but, they're extremely limited on SPLs even for a single fullrange-type driver. I'm curious what are you findings? Are the Feastrex on par with AER, Lowther or Fostex as far as their SPL capabailities are concerned?

I'd like to save up for a pair of these drivers however, although I listen to mainly Smooth Jazz ---{Khani Cole, Spyro Gyra, Kevyn Lettau, Rippingtons}--- & Jazzy New Age ---{Peter Kater, Max Lasser's Ark, Michael Gettel, William Belote}--- on occasion I also like to listen to my Prog Rock ---{Yes, Marillion, Genesis, Trillion}---so I need to know if the Feastrex drivers can handle that type of music? I don't expect to play them at concert hall levels but, I'd like them to at least be able to play as loudly as the other single full range drivers I mentioned above on that type of music.

Any insight on your part would be appreciated. By the way I believe we share a mutual friend, Paul Butterfield. Paul and I are good friends and I've heard the First Watt and stereo Aleph 30 you made for him. Both are very nice indeed.

Thanks,

Nelson Pass said:
The crossover and equalization were determined through listening
tests, and currently the crossover is 100 Hz at 12 db/oct.

Both drivers are wired in phase.

The D9nf has been equalized with a low Q notch filter at 6 KHz,
with a -4 dB depth.

Any questions?

Is the Feastrex run fullrange, and then only the woofer LP-ed at 100 Hz, or is Feastrex also HP-ed at 100 Hz 12db/oct?

Nelson Pass said:

No box behind the woof. The 15 is a pretty generic OEM that I
had made a few years ago. Light cone, big motor, 25 Hz Fs.
Lots of drivers, like the Alpha 15's, will fill the bill.

What is the Qts of that woofer?

Oh, once you get drivers out of the box, you can't get them out again...:D (they tend to "stick" in the OB) :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: A Question For Nelson

thetubeguy1954 said:

I was told by a friend that the Feastrex are an incredibly articulate set of drivers but, they're extremely limited on SPLs even for a single fullrange-type driver. I'm curious what are you findings? Are the Feastrex on par with AER, Lowther or Fostex as far as their SPL capabailities are concerned?

I listen to mainly Smooth Jazz ---{Khani Cole, Spyro Gyra, Kevyn Lettau, Rippingtons}--- & Jazzy New Age ---{Peter Kater, Max Lasser's Ark, Michael Gettel, William Belote}--- on occasion I also like to listen to my Prog Rock ---{Yes, Marillion, Genesis, Trillion}---so I need to know if the Feastrex drivers can handle that type of music? I don't expect to play them at concert hall levels but, I'd like them to at least be able to play as loudly as the other single full range drivers I mentioned above on that type of music.

I don't really know the answer yet. As they are quite expensive
(and because I anticipate a significant repair lead time) I have
been particularly gentle with them so far.

As a rule I don't exceed 4 volts peak into them to get a good
listening experience, which is the output of a 1 watt amplifier.

But there's no reason to think they can't do your job, particularly
if you help them out on the bottom end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.