Feastrex Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We simply took a known weight of modeling clay rolled it out into two flat curved shapes and gently placed them on the edge of the whizzer cone. There was absolutely no trace of it on the cone when we were done, however, the method is perhaps risky for another reason, that being that there's still the potential for the clay to "bounce" or "buzz" at a level that is undetectable, but that could influence the results, so I don't think I would choose to do it again.

Thanks.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've finished dialing in the crossover and equalization
for the D9nf in open baffles with a 15" woofer. The
sound is really good, although the setup would be regarded
as provisional. I plan to spend some time enjoying this before
making further changes.

Attachments

• pair-sm.jpg
    pair-sm.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4,179
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lastly, here's a composite response curve of the speaker,
taken at 1 meter on-axis with the D9nf.

The response below 200 Hz has been taken at MLSSA's 5 KHz
bandwidth to get a good picture of the bottom end, and the
response above 200 Hz was taken at 40 KHz bandwidth. The
curves have been smoothed at 1/3 octave.

The amplifiers are an F3 on the top, and an X150 on the bottom.

The crossover and equalization were determined through listening
tests, and currently the crossover is 100 Hz at 12 db/oct.

Both drivers are wired in phase.

The D9nf has been equalized with a low Q notch filter at 6 KHz,
with a -4 dB depth.

Any questions?

Attachments

• 08 feastrex d9nf composite.gif
    08 feastrex d9nf composite.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 3,056
I have to argue against the Lamborghini. That is a all show and not so much go car. All image and little substance. The Mitsubishi Evo is faster round a track than the new Murcielago. I would think more of a Bugatti Veyron, or Ferrari F-40. Both built to a performance goal that was achieved. I am curious if the Feastrex achieves it's performance goal. Time will tell I'm sure.

:Pirate:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DaveCan said:
Mr. Pass this is cool you have those drivers, will be great to hear your review when ready...

I really like these drivers, and I am very happy to share my
experiences, but I am not looking to be a reviewer.

I want for other people to be encouraged to try these things and
build great systems for themselves, and toward that end I will provide
blueprints for whatever works for me.

Lowthers, Feastrex, and other high end ("high cost") full range drivers
have an uphill battle in this marketplace, but what they offer is not
particularly expensive in the context of what comparable, even lesser,
products go for in this industry.

I know I am persisting a completely off topic rant, but.... to hear of a Corvette being compared to a Veyron. Simply they are not in the same league. 1001 hp vs 620 hp. 922 ft-lb vs 604. 253 mph vs 205 mph. The Veyron does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds vs the Corvette "in the low three seconds"

I realize these numbers are only part of the picture, but when we are trying to make an analogy to drivers that cost more than all the components in my system put together, I think the comparison to the cost no object supercar is more appropriate. I can't possibly see how the Corvette "will eat all those mentioned for breakfast" when it is slower and less powerful.

Again I apologize for the off topic, but I hate to leave misinformation alone.

DaveM said:
I know I am persisting a completely off topic rant, but.... to hear of a Corvette being compared to a Veyron. Simply they are not in the same league. 1001 hp vs 620 hp. 922 ft-lb vs 604. 253 mph vs 205 mph. The Veyron does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds vs the Corvette "in the low three seconds"

I realize these numbers are only part of the picture, but when we are trying to make an analogy to drivers that cost more than all the components in my system put together, I think the comparison to the cost no object supercar is more appropriate. I can't possibly see how the Corvette "will eat all those mentioned for breakfast" when it is slower and less powerful.

Again I apologize for the off topic, but I hate to leave misinformation alone.

I missed that one.. Does it really matter? The Corvette is daily driver friendly and costs way, way less, goes really fast etc.. You can have your Bugatti and I'll take the Vette if you please:D

Anyhow, your impressions of the Feastrex will be good to read and even though like the Bugatti and the Vette I'll never be able to own a pair, it will still be interesting to read etc.. Dave:)

In the end, no it doesn't matter at all. I am just living vicariously through others. Given a choice I would likely go for an M3, but I have this itch to build a lotus 7 kit car and put a euro 2.0 liter turbo diesel BMW motor in it. 150hp and 190lb-ft in a 900 lb car mmmmm that sound nice.
;)

Better yet, just look at the Tesla Roadster. All charged up, performance is quite good with 0-60 times below 4 seconds.... has Lotus-inspired chassis/handling and best of all, no gas required... simply shocking!

Personally, I'll keep the Esprit V8... there's a lot more to total performance than straight-line go.... and, I'm keeping my D5NFs too!

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.