Feastrex Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Seems like the ball part of the Feastrex would sit well in the end of a 4" aluminum tube pedestal like a ball and socket joint. Elegant, easy to aim and it could still have a reasonable baffle ie 12" radius, or a similar, more random shape.. Probably would need a strap over the top of the ball to add friction..

West MArine sells pedestals like that for about $50 each for mounting seats on bass boats..

I was also thinking of the D9nf in the Kleinhorns; however, if I recall correctly the Qts at around 0.4 is a bit higher than most of the drivers likely to be used in the Kleinhorns. The D9nf also probably has more Xmax than your typical Lowther type driver, so all in all it would likely be quite a bit different. Still, it might be fun to try . . .

-- Chris

Lola GT... now you're talking Nelson. that's what I'd call a proper car. Personally, I'd go with one of the 2 Lightweight Low Drag E types Jaguar built, or one of Lynx Engineering's spectacular reproductions -take 1 E type, erradicate the spindly appearance, add a healthy dose of aggression & sheer beauty & there you have it. Sound's like it's always after the blood of that spectral GTO too. :)

I'm not sure if the Kleinhorns are around any longer, though I'd like to think they're still singing somewhere. Be interesting if a pair of Feastrex were dropped into it. Might have a bit of HF loss though.

Scott

PS -hey, Dave -the 'Vette might be a daily driver at your end, but over here we have corners. ;) :D I gather Corvette employees have heard tell of these arcane things, but to paraphrase Red Dwarf, only as a myth; a dark legend, told across the flickering embers of a campfire, where hardened engineers gather to drink fermented vegetable products & compete in tales of blood-chilling terror. Corvettes & corners = bad combination. A bloke I knew tried running his 95 model (I think it was) at a few hill-climb events. We called it the gyroscope.

Attachments

• shaping09sm.jpg
    shaping09sm.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,004
When i saw the Feastrex all i could think about is how the heck am i going to fit that into a BIB!

>>> has Lotus-inspired chassis/handling...

My wife wants the Lotus Elise (i want it too). I understand it starts its life as a Toyota.

Ahhhh, Corvette... my boys want one (i want it too, too). Measured grip on a skidpad may not relate to actual grip on a real road. Hey! That's sortof like saying measurements aren't everything.

I love my Audi and the VW's before them.

Godzilla said:
My wife wants the Lotus Elise (i want it too). I understand it starts its life as a Toyota.

according to what I've read, it starts life as a lotus, and they went with the toyota engine for emissions reasons here in the states. then again, that was back when they were first bringing the elises into the states and had a different engine for non-stateside sales. it may well start life as a toyota now (and if so, it would be on the MR2 platform), but i havent really checked.

Scottmoose said:

PS -hey, Dave -the 'Vette might be a daily driver at your end, but over here we have corners. ...Corvettes & corners = bad combination. A bloke I knew tried running his 95 model (I think it was) at a few hill-climb events. We called it the gyroscope.

I've seen late-model Vettes at the local autocross - they look big on the course, but they are impressively quick around the cones.

Me, I own B20's, and drive a Miata - both give lots of fun per dollar!

Nelson Pass said:
Lastly, here's a composite response curve of the speaker,
taken at 1 meter on-axis with the D9nf.

The response below 200 Hz has been taken at MLSSA's 5 KHz
bandwidth to get a good picture of the bottom end, and the
response above 200 Hz was taken at 40 KHz bandwidth. The
curves have been smoothed at 1/3 octave.

The amplifiers are an F3 on the top, and an X150 on the bottom.

The crossover and equalization were determined through listening
tests, and currently the crossover is 100 Hz at 12 db/oct.

Both drivers are wired in phase.

The D9nf has been equalized with a low Q notch filter at 6 KHz,
with a -4 dB depth.

Any questions?

Make your self a linesource planarribbon. This is realy a bad response, and it is even equalized .Sorry not a question, just my opinion
:hot:

Nah. There's a whole lot more to handling than outright grip. Hence 'The Gyroscope.' ;) Feel, poise, the ability to cope with mid-corner bumps & deflections without ricocheting off the road, progressive behavior once the limit is breached etc. 'Vette's don't go round what UK dwellers call corners at speed.

Now Lotus = Handling God. Current Elise uses a Toyota engine, rest is bespoke -they went with that when it became clear that MG Rover were on the rocks & the unit they were using (K series) was reaching the end of its life anyway. The X180 Esprit had tail-lights from the MK 1 MR2 actually. Like Dave, my favourite is the Europa though. Still being made actually, with Lotus's blessing. Although my vote would be for a 1.8 litre Ford twin-cam from ~1993. Probably the best handling car ever made.

Ahem. Sorry about the digression. :) One qestion Nelson -do you find the notch centred at ~900Hz) audible?

DIY AUTO...

I used to restore vintage SAABs, sorta...

First was a 1973 Sonett III. I tried to have it painted professionally and instead it got joy ridden by the painter's help, he blew the motor. That was the end of that. It was also then that I learned the hard lesson: too much attachment to a material posession ages you unnecessarily.

Next, a 1969 Saab 96 2-stroke. Kinda like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

I usually ran it without the muffler like in the video. The otherwise unmodified motor gave 36 hp which yeilded a "secret" 105 MPH top speed. (~160KPH). The top speed is no lie (I have a witness). I had the rare 4 speed transmission iteration and if you used a hill to boost up to 85 or so, the next 20mph were easy (albiet long fought) on flat ground. The two stroke motor gets most of its diminutive power at the very top of the rev range. Normally, the top speed of the car is only 70MPH or so. Get 'er over the hump, and wooooweee!

Though I have had friends drive me upwards to 160MPH before in relatively safe cars at those speeds, the 105MPH in the SAAB is by far the fastest I have ever been: psycologically. It is also the fastest I could ever imagine going in almost any car: psycologically.

There is just nothing that compares with an incredibly rattly 40 year old "landaeroplane" with VERY iffy brakes going 45% faster than it was ever designed to go. By "VERY iffy" I mean that the front left and right rear were the only tires that could slow me down appreciably (No E brake). subtle gestures. long straight desert roads.... It was also incredibly entertaining to drive on the many "primitive roads" out here in the wild west. It is a historied rally car of its day.

Why did I quit? There is only so long you can unflinchingly look life in the face and give it the middle finger. There is also only so much reverse engineering you can do without access to a proper machine shop. I bought the car for 100 bucks, put countless hours into it keeping it on the road, (to the detriment of my GPA) and sold it eventually to a loving home.

In my other life, I wanted to go to rural africa, cuba and study creative car maintainence with academic funding.

Where does this tie into audio? Well, in the last few years early recorded music (whiskey and 78s) has become a passionate interest of mine.

I will always be into time machines, I suppose. My TRUE passion has never been "real" speed. Of course, I do not believe in vintage for the sake of vintage either.

Full range drivers are perhaps more akin to race cars though. They are maximizing their ultimate efficiency, and have incredible power to weight ratios. From a consumer's standpoint, they tend to fit into the more "club racing cars" category all the way up to F1.

Of course, many full rangers are alot easier to live with than a race car. No analogy is perfect.

Clark

Re: DIY AUTO...

Luke said:
Jag E-type stll look amazing for their age, but running a V12 sucks.

Yup. Lucikily the Lightweight Low Drag had the ultimate blueprinted version of Jaguar's XK series 3.8 DOHC straight six. Dedicated big valve head, injection system, high profile cams etc. MPG wasn't half bad -mainly because of Malcom Sayer's efforts (Jag's legendary aerodynamicist) -it still has one of the lowest drag coefficients of any car ever built.

blumenco said:
Of course, many full rangers are alot easier to live with than a race car.

You ain't kidding there mate. :)

blumenco said:
I do not believe in vintage for the sake of vintage either.

Right. Nostalgia has its place in the museum, but there are also some pinnicles that have stood the test of time, and may be regarded as milestones from which we can learn.

If Neolithic man had a Strat, he'd've been playing it. If Bach had had a Strat, he'd've been playing it. Humans have always been forward thinking mofos. Even if we're only inching forward, it's still progression.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.