simple hacks for high end audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm baffled on just how you'd "simply" make a field coil speaker.

Out of what? An existing speaker? What to do, bust out the existing magnet? What happens to the pole piece alignment then; how could anyone w/o a machine shop full of tools even disassemble w/o damage, then reestablish the tolerances of such a wound coil construction?

Or do you just wind over the top of an existing alnico magnet in the square box to add magnetic strength? Kinds limits the type of driver this would work for. Let's see; 1, 2, 3, ...495, 496 - COVIDs gonna be around for a while - 497, 498 - finally, time for a piece of tape!

I initially bailed from this thread immediately when I read #7. But it's gotten so popular, I just HAD to chime in!

high end speaker drivers are made with neodymium so the sound response or movement of voice coil is faster and wider.

your speakers are made with ferrite, but if you have an old transformer you can use that wire to make a field coil speaker, and electromagnets are far tweakable and deliver constant magnetic flux compared to permanent magnets, they consume energy but don't use rare earth or limited resources

this is high end voxativ field coil speaker

ac-x2-frontangle-100-web.jpg

you can make any kind of permanent magnet (using other speaker magnets) or field coil speaker but the permanent magnet speaker requires remagnetisation in situ. you can make the basquet with metal or epoxy-fiber and a sandwich carbon fiber cone, the voice coil is just paper with copper

Last edited:
just magic beans. so pay 2.000 for a speaker

what a load of fake electronic component experts eating all the audio industry snake oil propaganda

please, i encourage you, by all means, do what you suggest we all must do and prove your point.
Stand behind your statement and demonstate to all of us audiofools what is really needed to enjoy music.
Oh... sorry, first, make a cryo cooler at home and prove that we all need a supermagnet to drive a speaker. An arduino coiled one.

You passed from "snake oil" to "straight Bull$h1t" in a matter of seconds :)

Please

Last edited:
please, i encourage you, by all means, do what you suggest we all must do and prove your point.
Stand behind your statement and demonstate to all of us audiofools what is really needed to enjoy music.
Oh... sorry, first, make a cryo cooler at home and prove that we all need a supermagnet to drive a speaker. An arduino coiled one.

You passed from "snake oil" to "straight Bull$h1t" in a matter of seconds :)

Please

stand back hater, if you want to make a hifi speaker you can use the magnets of your fridge lol, cryogenic electromagnets just need liquefied air and I'm signaling the fact that they are easy to build and are the best magnets out there, however if you make a water cooled speaker it will have far more effciciency and response that any speaker driver, when you play music during hours the voice coil heats up increasing impedance and losing all the official speaker specifications.

you just have called yourself an audiofool and I don't dispute that term, could you tell us here how much money you have spent in audio equipment???

please tell me

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
...I understand that gain structure with this hack, the step further is knowing the the microvoltages and microwatts of the gain, etc between all components
That doesn't make much sense and shows a lack of knowledge of the subject.
However, yes, knowing the gain of each stage is important. Usually that is expressed in decibels. It's probably more important in live audio than anywhere else, but is good practice in all audio. That does not change the fact that your Post #1 Point #2 is backward. It's a recipe for noise and other problems. One should never "tune" a system that way.

That doesn't make much sense and shows a lack of knowledge of the subject.
However, yes, knowing the gain of each stage is important. Usually that is expressed in decibels. It's probably more important in live audio than anywhere else, but is good practice in all audio. That does not change the fact that your Post #1 Point #2 is backward. It's a recipe for noise and other problems. One should never "tune" a system that way.

You are wrong, the sound distortion comes from the audioplayer's volume, so if you keep the amplifier volume at max the distortion will be lower and you wont hear the humming noise when playing louder.

That way you can hear good sound even with an mp3, you can make it at home and tell what you think.

Morel Supreme SCW636 Carbon Fiber Cone Woofer

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Price: $350.00

vs

160g 15mm Spread-Tow Plain Weave Carbon Fibre Cloth (1000mm)

CF-PL-UD-160-15-160g-15mm-plain-weave-spread-tow-carbon-fibre-in-hand.jpg

Premium quality 160gsm spread-tow carbon fibre fabric with 15mm wide carbon 'tows' arraged in a plain weave pattern, creating the checkerboard appearance of plain weave carbon fibre but in a much larger pattern.
Spread-tow fabrics provide an extremely smooth, flat finish and being 'non-crimp' they offer excellent mechanical performance too.
1m wide, sold by the linear metre.

AVAILABILITY:More than 100 availablefor immediate shipping

PRICE
€43.42ex. VAT

you can make 20 or more speaker cones with that

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are wrong, the sound distortion comes from the audioplayer's volume, so if you keep the amplifier volume at max the distortion will be lower and you wont hear the humming noise when playing louder
Thanks. That makes no sense whatsoever, making it simple to ignore. :up:

AFK, what is your purpose with this thread? What do you hope to achieve?

.... you can make liquid nitrogen at home....

Yes, it can be done, just go to the local hardware store and pick up a multi stage compressor capable of high pressure, all the plumbing needed to handle it's output, a fancy membrane capable of separating out the nitrogen from air, or at least getting the moisture out, some sort of cooling the high pressure gas into a liquid, then scour the scrap yards for a cryo-tank capable of storing your output.

I spent 41 years working at a Motorola plant. After a year and a half as an assembly line tech, I became a maintenance tech with responsibility for several high vacuum systems used in the manufacture of quartz crystals and thin film microelectronics. We used a lot of LN2 in our facility, and we had our own generation plant. Once most of the hi-vac production lines were shut down the LN2 plant was dismantled because the cost to make small quantities was greater than having the cryo tanker deliver a load weekly.

A little Googling reveals a few people who have actually built a DIY LN2 system and they report the need of between 5 and 20 KW of electricity (for the compressor and the Peltier coolers) needed per liter generated. Yes, LN2 can be stored in a styrofoam container, but at atmospheric pressure, it will evaporate faster than you can make it.

So the Linde cryo tanker truck shows up at your place with a load of LN2, and you have a cryo tank to hold it. How is your DIY field coil speaker going to deal with something at 77 degrees K.....never mind that most realistic superconductors need to be colder than that.

After 10 years of work in the cal lab fixing all that cool (literally) stuff, I became an engineer designing two way radios and cell phones.....I DO fully understand SNR, and the gain staging to optimize both the RF and audio chains in these devices. Everything in the chain from the antenna to the microphone or speaker has a positive or negative effect on the system's noise and distortion performance. In most cases it can be quantified, and sorted for it's importance in the system. We had giant spread sheets for these things......and that's why my speaker wire comes from Walmart!

Every time you go from the analog to the digital domain or vice versa you loose resolution and SNR, that's the nature of the conversion. Transcoding (going directly from one digital format to another, like WAV or FLAC to Bluetooth) is worse case, especially if the bit rates are different. It is preferable to have only ONE conversion from digital to analog in the whole system, and it should be a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.