simple hacks for high end audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of your hacks sound simple to me.

they are, and if you build your speakers you won't have to work a year to pay back a loan

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Calm down man. Yes - what is it that you want to say really? I have to say you come out as desperate - and this doesn't work for your case.

Take a break and think it over. You are making a bit of an embarrassment here I think...

I would agree with others that your claims aren't really founded in reality. You are partly correct, as I said in an other post - but its a far way to go in order to make something workable out of what you present - and thats not easy.

Rethink, revise... All the best!

//

Joined 2011
Paid Member
panowho???

that person thinks that increasing an audio player volume doesn't increase distortion and that she/he prefers distortion to humming noise, which is unnoticeable at a louder sound level

If the goal is to achieve the digital to analog conversion as "perfectly" as possible, the "audio player" (software) should have volume control completely disabled. As soon as you start messing with volume control and EQ in software, you are losing bits and bastardizing the original source material. The computer should do one job - read bits and spit them out to the DAC exactly as they are.

You say a DAC should not be used, but then you say a sound card is the best. Guess what - a sound card is a DAC, and typically not a great one, surrounded by loads of noisy components and powered by a noisy supply.

Last edited:
Making LN2 requires both compression and cooling. One can not make LN2 by compression alone. A membrane is need to separate the nitrogen out of the air. The pressure at which it works best depends on it's size and the flow rate. There is a trade off between cost of cooling and cost of compression, and it depends on how much LN2 is needed and how fast. You are not going to make LN2 with a wind turbine even in a hurricane!

If you believe that you can build some LN2 superconducting speakers, show us how. You could probably sell them for much more than all those pricey boxes you linked to.

As someone who has built computers since 1975 (MC6800 based), I know the the typical PC is one of the most electrically noisy places on the planet! Those motherboards advertising 100+ dB of dynamic range are right up there with the 200 watt PC speakers. A good sound card that has the DACs inside the PC case will make 85 db on a good day, even if it is 24/96 or better. Most are in the 70's even if you fix all the ground loops.

I run a DIY PC optimized for audio recording, playback and music production with Ableton Live and multiple software and hardware music synthesizers and a few real musical instruments. Audio output comes from a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB with the Sennheisers plugged directly into the front panel.

There is only one 24 bit (up to) 192 KHz conversion in the whole playback path. Yes, there are still ways to improve this set up, like galvanic isolation in the USB path but it is already at least an order of magnitude better than my 68 year old ears, so I'm done with it.

The original Bluetooth spec specified a maximum bit rate in the 300k bps range (I don't remember the exact number) and many vendors applied a lossy compression algorithm to 44/16 music to get there. Bluetooth 5.0 can go much faster, and there are some expensive solutions that may APPROACH the transparency of a piece of wire, but a copy can never be as good as the original.

I think I have taken the bait......but like the smart fish, I am spitting it out now...BYE!

If the goal is to achieve the digital to analog conversion as "perfectly" as possible, the "audio player" (software) should have volume control completely disabled. As soon as you start messing with volume control and EQ in software, you are losing bits and bastardizing the original source material. The computer should do one job - read bits and spit them out to the DAC exactly as they are.

You say a DAC should not be used, but then you say a sound card is the best. Guess what - a sound card is a DAC, and typically not a great one, surrounded by loads of noisy components and powered by a noisy supply.

Your first paragraph looks poorly credible, but even so, the levels of tweaking with 31 band EQ in foobar can compensate your claims, while I play movies quite loud at 3-5% of volume in videoplayers and the same with foobar so there's not a lot of "messing"

29-102-048-15.jpg

I'm using this sound card and has 116db SNR and 24-bit / 192kHz audio output and it's dirty cheap, tell me how much I have to expend to buy a dac with similar specs. You can use a PCI extender cable to isolate from the motherboard.

Making LN2 requires both compression and cooling. One can not make LN2 by compression alone. A membrane is need to separate the nitrogen out of the air. The pressure at which it works best depends on it's size and the flow rate. There is a trade off between cost of cooling and cost of compression, and it depends on how much LN2 is needed and how fast. You are not going to make LN2 with a wind turbine even in a hurricane!

If you believe that you can build some LN2 superconducting speakers, show us how. You could probably sell them for much more than all those pricey boxes you linked to.

As someone who has built computers since 1975 (MC6800 based), I know the the typical PC is one of the most electrically noisy places on the planet! Those motherboards advertising 100+ dB of dynamic range are right up there with the 200 watt PC speakers. A good sound card that has the DACs inside the PC case will make 85 db on a good day, even if it is 24/96 or better. Most are in the 70's even if you fix all the ground loops.

I run a DIY PC optimized for audio recording, playback and music production with Ableton Live and multiple software and hardware music synthesizers and a few real musical instruments. Audio output comes from a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB with the Sennheisers plugged directly into the front panel.

There is only one 24 bit (up to) 192 KHz conversion in the whole playback path. Yes, there are still ways to improve this set up, like galvanic isolation in the USB path but it is already at least an order of magnitude better than my 68 year old ears, so I'm done with it.

The original Bluetooth spec specified a maximum bit rate in the 300k bps range (I don't remember the exact number) and many vendors applied a lossy compression algorithm to 44/16 music to get there. Bluetooth 5.0 can go much faster, and there are some expensive solutions that may APPROACH the transparency of a piece of wire, but a copy can never be as good as the original.

I think I have taken the bait......but like the smart fish, I am spitting it out now...BYE!

you can use a vertical axis wind turbine for the compressor and other for the heat exchanger with gears and belts... and you will not produce much liquid nitrogen but free...

bluetooth 5.0 has 2mbps and this audio codec LDAC has 990kbps

HM-314 Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver Module MP3 Lossless Decoder Board 3.7-5V Wireless Stereo Music Decoding Amplifier Board

178 Reviews617 orders

>>>>>US $0.93<<<<<

Last edited:
You believe the spec sheet....

5% is -26dB, so 4 bits resolution thrown away before you even start. And thats 4 MSBs...

well, in that case you trade those 4 bits with a reduction in distortion since the audio signal arrives quite amplified by windows and preamp at max volume to the amplifier at max volume.

i couldn't send the dac sound to the preamp at full volume as I do with windows master volume

there are trade ins and trade offs in gain, bits and SNR, I prefer to lower distortion as possible so that's why I choose gain

Last edited:
There are trade offs and you do not appear to understand them at all. 4 bits loss is also 4 bits reduction in SNR.

with a usb DAC the volume will be at at 30% aprox ( i have no idea) for the same output and the distortion of mp3 will be far more noticeable, but yes with 4 SNR and bits more, and with 500$ less in my wallet for buying a high res dac

Last edited:
Clearly high quality audio is not your goal then.

well, maybe it's because you are a bookshelf or headphone enthusiast, I do prefer high en audio and that means hell lot of subbass, and bass apart from rest of frequencies, and with that bass at loud levels you will prefer less distortion and have more dynamic sound rather than listening a detailed clarinet in a bookshelf speaker where you will prefer clarity

do you understand that there's a difference between rock-electronic vs classic-pop. you will prefer a low distorted-punchier sound with rock and a softer-noiseless sound with classic that can be accomplished with a studio bookshelf speaker

this raidho can cost 6.000 but it's not high end since it cannot deliver lower frequencies spectrum
raidho-xt-1.jpg

this looks more like high end, where low frequency distortion is more noticeable

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
with a usb DAC the volume will be at at 30% aprox ( i have no idea) for the same output and the distortion of mp3 will be far more noticeable, but yes with 4 SNR and bits more, and with 500$ less in my wallet for buying a high res dac

30% ???

It should be at 100%, or better yet, completely disabled (which is equivalent to 100%).

You also mentioned Windows volume? If you do things correctly, the Windows volume will fail to function because the player should be configured to completely bypass the Windows sound system.

You are doing so many things wrong in the digital domain here that I don't even know where to begin.

MP3 + Foobar EQ + Windows sounds system = a complete mess of crap. :boggled:

MP3 - a lossy estimation of the original source

Foobar EQ - twisting the bits farther from what is intended (I hope you at least stick to negative EQ!)

Windows sound system - sloppy sample rate conversion to 48kHz

Extremely low (3-5%) software volume - see what has already been said about throwing bits away

Like I said. A mess. A hopeless mess.

Last edited:
stand back hater
I can't stop laughing... thank you :D

if you want to make a hifi speaker you can use the magnets of your fridge
Please, be my guest. a crappy speaker maybe... something useful to play your beloved mp3.

just need liquefied air and I'm signaling the fact that they are easy to build and are the best magnets out there
Just...

however if you make a water cooled speaker it will have far more effciciency and response that any speaker driver, when you play music during hours the voice coil heats up increasing impedance and losing all the official speaker specifications.
this is the most intelligent thing I heard from your ongoing broadcast ofnonsensical statements.

you just have called yourself an audiofool and I don't dispute that term
You also miss irony... pity.

could you tell us here how much money you have spent in audio equipment???
Far less than what you imagine... but if your reference is 20€ per speaker or 30€ per dac... then, maybe i have spent a little more.
in then end is not the price that matters, but rather what you can afford, where you put the line and whats returns back to you.

One thing is clear, you are over simplifying things that deserve much more complexity and making complex things that in reality are much simpler.

I suggest you go back to study a little bit more (comic books are not valid).

This whole thread is the perfect example of the dunning-kruger effect, I didn't expect to see such a striking example.

CM0WbFtWsAASaCk.png

Reactions: 1 user
30% ???

It should be at 100%, or better yet, completely disabled (which is equivalent to 100%).

You also mentioned Windows volume? If you do things correctly, the Windows volume will fail to function because the player should be configured to completely bypass the Windows sound system.

You are doing so many things wrong in the digital domain here that I don't even know where to begin.

Foobar EQ - twisting the bits farther from what is intended (I hope you at least stick to negative EQ!)

Extremely low (3-5%) software volume - see what has already been said about throwing bits away

AGREE

30% ???

"windows" is the soundblaster card master volume and has 24 bit-96khz

the more Foobar volume, the more distortion, first try at home and come back telling what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.