Basics on transistor drivers

But of course! I've soldered it reversed.:eek: Come to think it would be easier to learn arduino after all... Schematic updated. If I keep current per segment at 3mA it works fine now but illumination is weak. For higher current it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Display Schematic.JPG
    Display Schematic.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 74
I can play with the supply voltage but when i increase it to make the LEDs brighter the AND gate stops working. According specs the LEDs should have a forward voltage of 2,5V but here they stay consistently at 1,8V at least for currents between 3 and 10mA. Could it be something with 1N4148 diodes? The first row is one diode per LED segment so the current is small. But the second row is one diode per digit and this varies up to 70mA. Still shouldn't be much should it?

Last edited:
Although the simulated circuit appears to work flawless, I had no luck to confirm that in real life. So, I thought to simulate with pure resistive load in place of the LEDs that comes closer to the actual current and voltage drop. Then the simulation agrees with my prototype. Clearly, something is overloading the AND gate. Next step was to insert another driver -Q4. The -former LEDs- new loads are now R9/3/6. I'm happy to report it works like a charm this way! Do you see anything wrong with this approach?

Attachments

• sim.JPG
    sim.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 65
  • AND Gate Mod Sim.asc
    3.9 KB · Views: 33
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:up: that looks good. It's also giving a useful increase in the voltage needed to actually turn that stage on by adding another 0.6 volts or so which means it is easier to to turn off via the input diodes. It all becomes less critical.

Good :)

I should have posted this about a month ago, alas DHL played wicked games with my PCBs... Anyway, I'm happy to report success! The final and more reliable version is attached.

As you might have guessed already, it is about a DAC display. So, I thought I should post it here Diode-Transistor Logic Display (for Wave IO)

Attachments

• AND Gate.JPG
    AND Gate.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: